2016 Head Coach Search

Started by Butchers Bill, December 29, 2015, 07:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

I think Lurie desperately wants to win, for the reasons that any extremely driven person wants to be successful at what they do. I would guess that he's a more deeply obsessed fan of the team than anyone on this board is... it's his work, his public image, the people he interacts with on a daily basis, and what he'll be remembered for. Sure, more money would be nice and winning would increase the value of the team, but I find it really hard to believe that is his primary motivation.

Sgt PSN

Concessions? Parking? Merchandise?  TV Revenue?  In-Stadium ad revenue?  The don't make any money from playoff games?  What about the future revenue that playoff appearances generate?

Again, it's not about the revenue from an individual game. It's not like Lurie is going to buy more windmills or solar panels because they played 1 extra game. But if you have a team that is constantly in the playoffs, especially getting home games that fans love, then it's money in the bank that, if nothing else, will drive up the franchise value for whenever he decides to cash out and sell.

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on January 11, 2016, 02:54:04 PM
I think Lurie desperately wants to win, for the reasons that any extremely driven person wants to be successful at what they do. I would guess that he's a more deeply obsessed fan of the team than anyone on this board is... it's his work, his public image, the people he interacts with on a daily basis, and what he'll be remembered for. Sure, more money would be nice and winning would increase the value of the team, but I find it really hard to believe that is his primary motivation.

totally agree with this....he seems less money driven than most owners

my only question is who does he root for more....the eagles or the patriots
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: QB Eagles on January 11, 2016, 02:54:04 PM

I have him around 60/40 when it comes to money/winning. I do think the longer he owns the team, the more he wants to win, but I don't think he'll ever get to the point where he values a chip more than money. And I'm not saying that I think he's a terrible owner. He's probably top 5 in the NFL.  Doesn't mean that the team will never win a chip with him as an owner, but I think he's so deeply rooted and in love with New England that he can't bring himself to feel the same about Philly. 

ice grillin you

where would everyone rank the eagles in the nfl in terms of a coaching vacancy/overall organization

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Eagles_Legendz

I think they're behind the following teams in average circumstances -

Dallas
NYG
GB
CHI
SF (though maybe not at the moment)
SEA (maybe?)
NE
Maybe NYJ
Pitt
BAL
DEN

ice grillin you

we can debate order and probably even groupings but I think I teir them like this (not in order)

den
pitt
ne
nyg
gb

kc
bal
sf
dal

minn
phi
chi
nyj
mia
no
sea

car
buff
atl
tb
arz
cin
hou
ind
ten
oak
sd

wash
det
cle
jax
stl

QB Eagles

Close enough that I won't quibble.

Just out of curiosity, where would you have put the Patriots before Kraft? I feel like him, BB, and Brady jumped the franchise three tiers.

ice grillin you

they were def a bottom two tier team before him...shtein they were a laughing stock back in the day...not quite the saints or tb but not far off either

QB Eagles

Him and Danny Boy are the two extremes of what ownership can do for the long-term prestige of a team.

Eagles_Legendz

Indy is interesting because I agree with igy with respect to their ranking in normal circumstances but the prospect for a new coach to have Luck in his prime to work with will elevate that position if it's available next year.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on January 11, 2016, 04:38:05 PM
Indy is interesting because I agree with igy with respect to their ranking in normal circumstances but the prospect for a new coach to have Luck in his prime to work with will elevate that position if it's available next year.

yeah theres lots of individual factors that could elevate or lower a particular franchise right now but I was trying to go big picture

for example sd stl or Oakland could be higher because of LA

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 11, 2016, 03:50:31 PM
we can debate order and probably even groupings but I think I teir them like this (not in order)

den
pitt
ne
nyg
gb

kc
bal
sf
dal

minn
phi
chi
nyj
mia
no
sea

car
buff
atl
tb
arz
cin
hou
ind
ten
oak
sd

wash
det
cle
jax
stl

i cant overtly disagree with this list...but the coaching thing is so fluid. some guys (chip) hate big cities and tons of pressure. some guys (rex) get hard off of it. marvin lewis wouldve been fired 10 times over if he were in chicago, philly, new york, etc. but since its cincinnati, he survives. wouldnt that be a better place to coach?

denver isnt exactly heaven with john elway micromanaging everything....gb you will never be bigger than the gm, plus youre in green bay. theres always something.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 11, 2016, 02:57:17 PM
my only question is who does he root for more....the eagles or the patriots

LMFAO!  That is a totally legit question. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.