Thread for Hippos to mock Penn State

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, February 02, 2006, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i dont know the number but there had to have been literally thousands of kids thru second mile since its inception
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on November 09, 2011, 06:15:54 AM
This is where my confusion comes in regarding the reactions I see on here, Facebook, etc.. Most of the people I know (family, friends) that went to Penn State are generally pragmatic and skeptical, and see the world for what it is. RJS and you seem to be cut from a similar cloth. So I am a little surprised that they, and you, bought in to the school's image of wholesomeness when you would be likely to view persons in such positions in just about any other organization corrupt until proven otherwise. Does that make sense? Not trying to be offensive.

Not offensive. I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask how two grown, jaded, adults can be so impacted by this. I have a hard time understanding it too, but in the end I think the answer is actually pretty simple and I think you touched on it before. I've been a fan of Penn State and part of a Penn State family since birth. As I look back on my life with an ever-growing sense of skepticism, one of the only things that wasn't tainted by cranky old age and pragmatic realism was being a Penn State fan. Being a student, being an alum, even being a fan as a kid. There was never anything to taint that feeling of pride. Nothing. It was always easy and rewarding and something to be proud of.

Now, it's like being ten years old and finding out that Santa Claus does exist, but he serially rapes children. That last little piece of optimistic innocence is farging gone forever.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 09, 2011, 07:38:14 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on November 08, 2011, 12:45:59 PM
No one cares about McQueary and he will be forgotten in a month. I agree with you but no one cares about him and he's the one who has to live with what he saw and what he did or didn't do.

i care...

I care too. I'd love to think that 6'5" or 5'11" or 4'6" everyone would intervene and do everything possible to stop what was happening, but I can understand the inability to comprehend or accept what he was seeing and the related inability to act. This isn't some geriatric stranger, this was a legend. A legend who McQueary knew personally and who he may have had a friendship/relationship with. He was probably a personal idol of McQueary's. On top of that, McQueary reported it to Paterno, who is almost definitely his idol and mentor and a god in his eyes, and Paterno set the example of reporting up the chain and nothing else, which I'm sure he expected McQueary to follow.

In a perfect world anyone and everyone should have acted decisively there, but there is context here.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Drunkmasterflex

Now, it's like being ten years old and finding out that Santa Claus does exist, but he serially rapes children.

I am sorry but this is hilarious.

And while I didn't graduate from Penn State, I did graduate from an affiliate and have taken several classes there....but more to the point I agree and understand with what rjs is saying.  PSU was something you could always hang your hat on, not so much now.

Now Joe will retire at the end of the year, does anyone think he is actually allowed to finish the season?
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Sgt PSN

Everything I've heard so far says he steps down at the end of the season.

ice grillin you

colleges really arent that much different than a church or being in a cult...people get brainwashed by their loyalty to them....but they are just as corrupt and maybe more so than any other kind of organization...to treat penn state or any other school as some sort of deity is a joke

their football program led the world in player arrests and charges filed in the aughts...certainly something to hang your hat on

Munson

i dont see why he shouldnt be. look, he heard from gingery kid that something inappropriate was going on. put yourself in his shoes. if soomeone came to you and said i saw a coworker doing this...what do you do? you cant run to the cops, because if it turns out to be untrue for whatever reason, youre cooked. youre certainly not qualified to conduct a full investigation yourself. so the only option youre left with is exactly what joepa did...tell your superiors, the people who are responsible to investigate this claim and make a ruling. idk, i just get the feeling paterno is an easy target because hes the face of the school when imo i dont see him having much choice to do anything different
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 09, 2011, 10:20:36 AM
colleges really arent that much different than a church or being in a cult...people get brainwashed by their loyalty to them....but they are just as corrupt and maybe more so than any other kind of organization...to treat penn state or any other school as some sort of deity is a joke

their football program led the world in player arrests and charges filed in the aughts...certainly something to hang your hat on

I don't disagree and that is even more clear now than ever. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

rjs246

Who gives a shtein about player arrests? I got arrested in college too. What does that have to do with anything?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on November 09, 2011, 10:24:29 AM

I don't disagree and that is even more clear now than ever.

Agreed. So PSU football is unique for having the same coach for multiple generations, not breaking any recruiting rules during that time, graduating more players than other comparable programs, and having nondescript uniforms. At this point a good reaction to that information is... Big farging whoop.

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on November 09, 2011, 10:28:40 AM

Who gives a shtein about player arrests? I got arrested in college too. What does that have to do with anything?

i certainly dont

but it has to do with acting as tho penn state was some god like squeaky clean school that was a "part of you"....they are no different than any other large institution...corrupt at its soul...colleges are money making organizations that could care less about anyone or their family and youd be best not to get sucked in...last time i checked human beings ran penn state

Quote from: rjs246 on November 09, 2011, 10:14:02 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on November 09, 2011, 07:38:14 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on November 08, 2011, 12:45:59 PM
No one cares about McQueary and he will be forgotten in a month. I agree with you but no one cares about him and he's the one who has to live with what he saw and what he did or didn't do.

i care...

I care too. I'd love to think that 6'5" or 5'11" or 4'6" everyone would intervene and do everything possible to stop what was happening, but I can understand the inability to comprehend or accept what he was seeing and the related inability to act. This isn't some geriatric stranger, this was a legend. A legend who McQueary knew personally and who he may have had a friendship/relationship with. He was probably a personal idol of McQueary's. On top of that, McQueary reported it to Paterno, who is almost definitely his idol and mentor and a god in his eyes, and Paterno set the example of reporting up the chain and nothing else, which I'm sure he expected McQueary to follow.

In a perfect world anyone and everyone should have acted decisively there, but there is context here.

ginger was 28....not 16...he was a grown adult who walked away from a child being savaged and then when he found out nothing was going to be done about this he not only still did nothing but he continued to work at the school and around sandusky and his gaggle of young boys....im sorry but farg "context" in this case

rjs246

I totally get your perspective there and I'm repulsed by his inaction, just like I'm amazed by the inaction of Paterno et al. I'm just saying that I can rationalize what he did, whether I agree with it or not.

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

QuoteSTATE COLLEGE, Pa., Nov. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case.  I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.
I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.
That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.
This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life.  With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.
My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SunMo on November 09, 2011, 10:52:15 AM
QuoteSTATE COLLEGE, Pa., Nov. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- I wish I had done more.

that should have been the statement

im actually suprised the schools lawyers allowed him to admit that he farged up....putting out an admission like that is strong fuel for the civil suit fire that is going to happen

i also cant believe that he admitted farging up and is not retiring effective immediately...just go away...why the farg would you want your face plastered all over national tv during any remaining football games much less one 72 hours from now

no possible way ginger is on the sideline saturday is there?

PoopyfaceMcGee

I certainly do not feel like I am on par with the parents of my childhood friends. I would still default to calling them "Mr." and "Mrs." and reverting to the feeling of them being in power over me.

Now I try to imagine if I were a former player and current assistant for the football team. I grew up with the Sandusky children and am still close friends with them. My parents are close friends with Jerry and Dottie Sandusky. And oh, by the way, Sandusky is a revered long-time legend at Penn State.

Then, I'm putting some stuff away in the locker room after a long day, and I hear the shower running. I peek around the corner expecting to see that maybe someone left it running inadvertently. Instead, I see "Mr. Sandusky" farging a young boy.

Would love to think I'd beat the old man senseless, then wrap the boy in a towel, and go straight to the closest police station. I just think it's more idealistic than realistic.