2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

Quote from: mpmcgraw on August 09, 2008, 06:55:18 PM
What they need is a guy who can hit righties in rightfield,

They get shut down against even mediocre lefties...and you want another lefty in the lineup?

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

mpmcgraw

Not another lefty just a better lefty than Jenkins.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Wingspan on August 09, 2008, 10:59:15 PM
Quote from: FastFreddie on August 09, 2008, 09:43:41 PM
(Why was Durbin out there instead of Lidge in the 9th?)

3 run lead, 25 pitched the night before, and a day game tomorrow is my guess. Although he was warming up once Durbin gave up the run.

Charlie said after the game that he had some shoulder stiffness but is ok.

Judging the trustworthiness of the Phillies medical staff....Lidge's shoulder is likely to explode soon.

PhillyPhreak54

QuotePHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Brett Myers got his stuff and his snarl back.

Myers pitched 7 2/3 sharp innings, Jimmy Rollins had four hits, and the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-2 on Saturday night.

Myers (5-9) allowed one run and five hits, striking out six. The feisty right-hander wasn't pleased to leave with a runner on second and two outs in the eighth.

Myers muttered a few expletives when Phillies manager Charlie Manuel went to the mound. Manuel went after Myers in the dugout and the two briefly exchanged words nose-to-nose.

"I wanted to stay in," Myers said. "I'm a competitor. That's what I do. Sometimes your emotions get the best of you and you do something irrational. I should've respected his decision. It's patched up. We're buddies."

Manuel said he prefers a pitcher who doesn't want to exit a game.

"It was two strong-willed people kind of disagreeing," Manuel said. "Everything is all right. He wanted to stay in. I like that. In fact, if he doesn't want to stay in, I'd be mad."

J.C. Romero retired Doug Mientkiewicz for the final out after Myers departed. Chad Durbin finished for his first save after allowing a run in the ninth. Brad Lidge, who is 28-for-28 in save chances, was unavailable after throwing 24 pitches in one-third of an inning Friday.

The NL East-leading Phillies remained one game ahead of the New York Mets and are 2½ up on Florida.

Rollins, the reigning NL MVP, sparked a struggling offense that was shut out in consecutive games for the first time in nine years. He finished 4-for-4 with two triples in his four-hit game since last Sept. 1.

The Phillies snapped a 23-inning scoreless streak before making an out against Ian Snell (4-9).

Rollins led off with a line-drive triple down the right-field line and Shane Victorino followed with a double off the scoreboard in right. Ryan Howard's one-out RBI single made it 2-0.

The Pirates sliced the lead in half in the fourth on Nate McLouth's RBI double.

Rollins tripled off the wall in right leading off the seventh and scored on Victorino's single through a drawn-in infield for a 3-1 lead.

"We have to set the table for the bug guys," Rollins said of himself and Victorino.

Jayson Werth led off Philadelphia's eighth with a triple off Romulo Sanchez and scored on Greg Dobbs' single to make it 4-1.

Brandon Moss' RBI single in the ninth capped the scoring.

Snell allowed three runs and eight hits in six innings. It was just his eighth quality start in 23 games.

"He struggled in the first inning then he settled in and threw the ball well," Pirates manager John Russell said.

A short trip to the minors has made a difference for Myers, the team's Opening Day starter who was demoted on July 1 after going 3-9 with a 5.84 ERA in his first 17 starts. He's 2-0 with a 2.10 ERA in four starts since returning to the majors.

"Last two games he's been top-notch," Manuel said. "I'd say his stuff is back. He's got a different look about it."

In his four games since being re-called Myers is 2-0 with a 2.10ERA

Rome

The hick from Japan has lost this team, period.  He has a piece of shtein wife beater screaming at him on the field, then in the dugout, and then again in the tunnel to the clubhouse and he's expected to retain some semblance of control over this bunch?

Please.

Fire that hillbilly and send everyone with him except Davy Lopes.  At least he's working for a living down there.

PhillyPhreak54

I don't think he's lost it. Myers and him are always next to each other talking and laughing in the dugout. Tonight was nothing bad, IMO. I liked that this team, or at least someone, showed some fire tonight. Because that is exactly what they are lacking.

All too often we've seen them be lackadaisical and ho-hum.

SunMo

we were mocking brett because of his obnoxious crowd acknowledgment when he got taken out.  i guess that was sarcastic due to his unhappiness of being taken out...what a douche

utley sucks and it was fun to yell at him with his jersey on my back

todd is a douche

i got stuck in construction traffic coming home 55 mintues to go 3 miles...farging awful.

the bar made up for it though
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

Quote from: SunMo on August 10, 2008, 04:02:45 AM

utley sucks and it was fun to yell at him with his jersey on my back

Best post ever?

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

man i was so drunk

also manuel gave burrell the day off against this scrub rhp and neglected to start dobbsy. werth, who is just a monster against righties, is in lf and farging eric bruntlett is at 3b. god he is just a stupid person.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteJust heard from Charlie Manuel that, for a second consecutive game, closer Brad Lidge is not available to pitch today because of tightness in his throwing shoulder. But Manuel and Lidge insist it's nothing to worry about, and Lidge said he's hoping to be ready tomorrow night in LA.

Some background: Lidge warmed up six times before finally pitching in the All-Star Game on July 15 at Yankee Stadium. Manuel said "he's just now getting his strength back" after that experience, but Lidge said his shoulder began feeling "sluggish" before the All-Star Game. Lidge believes his shoulder troubles have stemmed from some faulty mechanics that were discovered last week by pitching coach Rich Dubee. Since the All-Star break, Lidge has made 11 appearances. And although he's 8-for-8 in save opportunities, most of them haven't been easy. He has has walked seven batters in 7-1/3 innings and put runners on base in eight of the 11 games. Of the last 209 pitches Lidge has thrown, only 122 have been strikes.

Lidge, who has been taking anti-inflammatory medication and seen team physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti but has not undergone at MRI exam, said he played catch this morning with Dubee and feels considerably better.

Clearly, though, this is a situation worth monitoring. To me, Lidge and ace Cole Hamels are the two players the Phillies can least afford to lose to injury.

SunMo

so, Lidge has had a balky shoulder since the all-star break yet charlie uses him on Thursday in the 9th when they are down by 3