2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

At least we have the Soul.

You flying home for the parade, Jay?

PhillyPhreak54

Just booked my ticket.

I'm flying first class for this one. How about you save me a spot on the corner of Broad please?

PoopyfaceMcGee

BigEd76

12-10 final

1 game back of the Mets, alone in 2nd

finally some games against the Nationals

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 27, 2008, 06:40:20 PM
A bunch of retards who do not play fundamentally sound baseball. Plays like that and the ever maddening never getting bunts down are basic, yet this team doesnt do it.

yet you don't want to lay anything on the manager...you just described one of the manager's biggest jobs
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

If a major leaguer doesn't know how to lay a bunt down or hit the ball the other way to move a runner he has no business being in the bigs.   I'll lay the blame on the absence of fundamentals with this team on the wretched developmental system they have in the minor leagues, not with an admittedly retarded skipper in Philly.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SunMo on July 27, 2008, 06:57:35 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 27, 2008, 06:40:20 PM
A bunch of retards who do not play fundamentally sound baseball. Plays like that and the ever maddening never getting bunts down are basic, yet this team doesnt do it.

yet you don't want to lay anything on the manager...you just described one of the manager's biggest jobs

If they didn't have the same issues when Bowa was the manager then maybe I would blame Charlie. But they didn't suddenly get awful at this shtein once Chuck took over.

Like Rome said...its in the system; thats where the problem is.

MDS

seanez had a nice little run in may or something but hes cooked. id rather have sunmo pitching.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 27, 2008, 06:56:40 PM
finally some games against the Nationals

Thanks, jinxer.  Should the Nats just get their brooms out now?

Quote from: MDS on July 27, 2008, 08:28:41 PM
id rather have sunmo pitching.

Underhand, overhand, or with his penis?

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteIronPigs left-hander J.A. Happ was pulled from his start at Richmond today after 2 2/3 scoreless innings and 41 total pitches. Whenever something like that happens in the minor leagues, it's almost always the result of a promotion or a trade.

In Happ's case, we've heard from a source that it's a promotion to the Phillies. Happ made two starts for the Phillies before the all-star break before being sent back to Triple-A. At the time, the plan was to bring him back for at least one more start after the break, but the trade for Joe Blanton changed all that.
Reached by phone minutes ago, Happ said he hadn't heard official word about any kind of move.

But after today's 12-10 win over Atlanta, Phillies reliever Adam Eaton was called into manager Charlie Manuel's office for a chat. The Phillies now are expected to reassign or cut either Eaton or Rudy Seanez to make room for Happ.

"Until I actually get a phone call that tells me it's happening, I don't feel I can comment," said Happ, who did confirm that he was not pulled from his start due to injury or illness. "Obviously I'd like to be up there, but they haven't made any move yet."

well farg me...maybe Eaton is going to be DFA'd.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteUTLEY'S HIP IS A CONCERN
Posted 7/27/2008 9:00 PM EDT on CourierPost Online

PHILADELPHIA - For the past three months, Chase Utley hasn't appeared to be Chase Utley.

His offensive numbers have been down due to a combination of bad luck, poor timing and now, even though he won't use it as an excuse, injury.

On Sunday, general manager Pat Gillick admitted that that the three-time All-Star at second base is "having some trouble with his (right) hip." How much more than an everyday bump and bruise this is remains in doubt but it's certain he is being treated for problem on a daily basis including anti-inflammatory medication.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Utley said with a smile in front of his locker.

"That's a good question because I don't know anything about that. I understand why you'd ask the question because I think I'd ask the same question."

"I think this is just a miscommunication or something."

That's fine. It's the answer one expects from Utley who could be in a full body cast and never admit there was a problem. That said, it's long been speculated his troubles over the last month are more than just a slump or overcoming normal bumps and bruises. How much his hip affects his swing is anyone's guess because Utley surely won't admit too it.

Utley's contention has been from the start that he's struggled with the normal soreness of a 162-game season but that's been betrayed by a lack of production on the field that has been magnified by struggles team wide. Since his high water mark - after 100 plate appearances - on April 24 when he had a .385 average and a 1.288 OPS the UCLA product has hit just .257 with an OPS of .821. Take that one step further and since June 14, the day he began an 0-for-29 stretch, Utley has hit just .227 with a .672 and three home runs.

"He'll work it out," manager Charlie Manuel said late last week. "That's part of the game. Good hitters hit slumps. It's noticed a lot, especially when you go two or three games and don't get a hit. He'll be OK. I'll put my money on Utley."

Way to not sit out of the AS game and HR derby....

SD_Eagle5

Bums option Eaton to the minor leagues

QuotePhillies option Eaton to Minor Leagues
Righthander Adam Eaton accepted an optional assignment to the Phillies' Minor League system, Senior Vice President & General Manager Pat Gillick announced today. No specific classification has been determined, as the Phillies work out his schedule.

A corresponding roster move to fill Eaton's spot on the 25-man roster will be made prior to Tuesday's game against the Nationals in Washington, D.C.

Eaton, 31, was 4-8 with a 5.80 ERA in 21 games (19 starts) for the Phillies this season. His last two appearances came in relief.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Still LOL @ Adam Eaton, then.

Is Happ any better?  Probably not.

Wingspan

Now...move myers to the pen, and let Happ start tomorrow.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.