2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

well since today has been awesome, the Mets came back from 8-6 in the 9th to win 10-8, so the Phils' lead is gone

The BIGSTUD

Screw Harden's injury history. They could've had him for the same deal that they did for Blanton. The Phils will never win a WS, because they are scared and too afraid/cheap to take chances. Yes, they spend a lot, but REFUSE to go over their "set limit" each year. Meanwhile winners out there go out each year and land big-time players to give their team the best shot. Regardless if it adds a big salary to an already big payroll.

Also I would've taken Bedard(on the DL) over Blanton.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PhillyPhreak54

I'll take a wait and see on Blanton. He was pretty good the last three years, so maybe he'll be something valuable for them. He was actually a name some Phils fans were talking about at the deadline and off-season last year. He was rumored to be going to the Mets in the off-season as well.

My first reaction was...no more Eaton and they could have done worse. Jarrod Washburn is a guy they were talking about who I would have killed someone over if they had traded for him.

The Reds suck. Cordero is trash. I watched that game.

Rome

I don't care about Blanton as much as I do what the Phillies gave up to get him.  Cardenas alone is too much but to give up Outman also is ridiculous.

Also - just wait and see... the Phillies won't pull the trigger on a longterm deal with him either because of budgetary issues.

Hate.  This.  Team.

Wingspan

He's not a free agent until after 2010. Why would you give him a long term deal?
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on July 18, 2008, 08:40:11 AM
I don't care about Blanton as much as I do what the Phillies gave up to get him.  Cardenas alone is too much but to give up Outman also is ridiculous.

Also - just wait and see... the Phillies won't pull the trigger on a longterm deal with him either because of budgetary issues.

Hate.  This.  Team.

you care more about one decent prospect whos path to the league is blocked and two bums than you do the fact that they arent going to challenge for a world series again?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Rome

Cardenas was their best positional prospect.  And who says Utley's position was blocked?  Utley's eventually going to move to 1st after Howard becomes too "expensive" for them to re-sign anyway, so Cardenas simply would have slid into the second base slot.

And Outman doesn't suck either.  He was their fourth rated prospect.  Eventually he'll be on a Major League roster as a fourth or fifth starter.

So, basically, they gave up their best positional prospect and a fourth/fifth starter for a guy they won't probably end up re-signing to a new deal.

Yay.

Wingspan

Calm down, Future Munson... none of the guys traded are worth crying over. And again...Blanton is not a FA for 2+ seasons.

This is an okay move to shore up the back of the rotation.

Utley is not going to 1st.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

reese125

Interesting fact:

There were 9 pitchers last year that had 220+ IP and a sub-4.00 ERA. They were: Jake Peavy, John Lackey, Brandon Webb, Dan Haren, CC Sabathia, Roy Halladay, Tim Hudson, Aaron Harang and Joe Blanton. That's 8 legitimate aces--and Blanton

Until his recent string of poor starts, he wasn't too far off those same numbers with a 4.15 ERA through his first 14 starts. He's pitched 7+ innings in 10 starts (vs. 20 total for the FOUR non-Hamels starters) and has allowed 2 ER or less in 9 starts (vs. an average of 6 for the Phillies 4 non-Hamels starters).

From what I read--this guy could be a nice find to pitch in the NL and eat up enough innings for this offense to excel

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on July 18, 2008, 09:07:27 AM
Cardenas was their best positional prospect.  And who says Utley's position was blocked?  Utley's eventually going to move to 1st after Howard becomes too "expensive" for them to re-sign anyway, so Cardenas simply would have slid into the second base slot.

And Outman doesn't suck either.  He was their fourth rated prospect.  Eventually he'll be on a Major League roster as a fourth or fifth starter.

So, basically, they gave up their best positional prospect and a fourth/fifth starter for a guy they won't probably end up re-signing to a new deal.

youre going by the stupid espn ticker that had baseball americas rankings which are outdated...marson and donald have both passed cardenas...so even if they move utley and thats far from certain then donald would move up before cardenas

outman is a bum...when you cant even crack the phillies top five prospects then your future is limited...anyway he projects as a RP he has very little chance to ever crack a major league rotation

Rome

Whenever I need keen insights into the Phillies, I pray for Wingspan to contribute.

Wingspan

Whenever I need to know how many beers someone drank, I pray for Munson or Future Munson to tell us how drunk they got.
Connection Problems

ice grillin you

Quote from: reese125 on July 18, 2008, 09:15:26 AM

Until his recent string of poor starts

From what I read--this guy could be a nice find to pitch in the NL and eat up enough innings for this offense to excel

recent = his last 8 starts..and thats pitching half his games in a place where the coldest winter you spend is summer...lets see what he does in 95 degree humidity for most of his starts...him and fellow fatty myers should be fun to watch this summer sweatin like slaves

the only thing hes eating up is tony lukes

im half kidding but for real stop trying to turn this into more than what it is...they got a decent #3 or 4 starter which upgrades a slot but this isnt winning any playoff series for them if they even make the playoffs...and thats the bottom line here

reese125

I dont know why everyone thinks you need to legit aces on your team to win a championship. If you get a possible #2-3 (fat boy possibly can) starter, you can be just fine

go back the last 6 years of each championship team and look at the 1-2 pitchers. I bet it will be half and half of "legit" 1-2 aces. Add the best bullpen in baseball-you have at least a decent shot