Eagles notes (Darth on Thornberg, Harbaugh's surgery, scratches)

Started by PhillyGirl, August 26, 2005, 10:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

QuoteEagles scoop: Newlywed Thornburg making his mark

PHILADELPHIA -- Out of sight, out of mind. In the case of Eagles rookie safety Jeremy Thornburg, out of sight is synonymous with going out of his mind. The newlywed confessed it's tough focusing at practice while his other half, Angela, is waiting by the phone 2,200 miles away in Flagstaff, Ariz. Then there are the games.
"In the games, it seems like I can just focus on the game and nothing else," Thornburg said. "I'm a lot more zoned-in. That's what I love about the games. Sometimes during practice it is hard to focus because of everything that's happening. I've got football, I'm in the NFL now and it's a new experience. And I'm thinking about her at the same time."

The Thornburgs can time their marriage to the Eagles' camps. They got married after minicamp, endured rookie and passing camps and have been separated for training camp. This weekend Angela is jetting to Philadelphia.

The newest Mrs. Thornburg wants to see her husband and the Eagles oppose the Cincinnati Bengals tonight at Lincoln Financial Field. If she touches down later this weekend, the couple still will have plenty of football to talk about as her husband already has a reputation.

"Thornburg," Eagles Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins said, "is coming up and making some big hits. He's a guy who hustles to the ball and is always around the ball. He has certainly opened my eyes.
"

Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said the Northern Arizona University standout "had a great game last week" against the Baltimore Ravens, when he led the Eagles in tackles.

"The name of the game is production and making plays," Johnson said. "Last week, he was very productive. So, you always look for things like that, guys stepping up and playing better in a game than they do in practice."

Thornburg knows it's one thing to make an impression, and another to continue it. He was under no illusions when he signed with the Eagles, who drafted 11 players and signed 10 rookie free agents. But now he thinks he belongs -- if not with the Eagles, then somewhere else.

"My first priority is to try to win a job with the Eagles," said Thornburg, who also has opened eyes on special teams. "But I'm also auditioning for the other NFL teams. I know I weigh like 193 pounds and that's probably about 15 pounds underweight for an NFL safety. A lot of people didn't think I could hit at this level as I did in college. So when I came to this level and I was still doing the same thing, I think it surprised a lot of people. It was even a small surprise to me that, at my size, I could bring down the running backs the same way as I did in college. But that's me. Tackling is what I do."

lll

Eagles special teams coach John Harbaugh had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee to clean up a torn meniscus that slowed him down at training camp.

Harbaugh intends to lose the crutches and do whatever is necessary to coach his unit tonight at 8 when the Eagles oppose the Cincinnati Bengals at Lincoln Financial Field.

"I'll be there," Harbaugh said. "I might be in a little pain but I'll be out there."

The Eagles and the Bengals each are 1-1 in the preseason.

With Dexter Wynn sidelined by a high ankle sprain, Rod Hood gets an extended tour as the Eagles' punt returner. Hood, who returns kickoffs, picks up where Reno Mahe leaves off.

The Eagles also want to take another look at Robert Redd, who has returned three punts for 21 yards in the preseason.

Additionally, veteran punter Sean Landeta makes his preseason debut with the Eagles, who cut the inconsistent Mark Mariscal.

lll

NOTES: The list of Eagles scratches tonight includes Wynn, defensive tackle Sam Rayburn (elbow), defensive end Jamaal Green (foot), center Jamaal Jackson (triceps) and rookies Sean Considine (shoulder), Linj Shell (stress fracture) and Trent Cole (knee). Shell, a rookie cornerback out of Jacksonville, suffered a stress fracture in his foot at practice Wednesday ... Koy Detmer takes over in the third at quarterback, with Mike McMahon sitting this one out. Reid said McMahon also is bothered by a sprained posterior cruciate ligament ... Keep an eye on Bengals wide receiver-punt returner Peter Warrick tonight, if he shakes off a sore hamstring and gets on the field. He could be available when the rosters are reduced to 65 players Tuesday. The cut to 53 players is one week from Sunday ... Several Bengals might not play tonight including offensive linemen Willie Anderson and Belton Johnson, linebacker Caleb Miller, kicker Shayne Graham, tight end Reggie Kelly and defensive backs Greg Brooks and Madieu Williams. Top draft pick David Pollack, the linebacker out of Georgia, makes his debut.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

RezRob

QuoteHarbaugh intends to lose the crutches and do whatever is necessary to coach his unit tonight at 8 when the Eagles oppose the Cincinnati Bengals at Lincoln Financial Field.
"I'll be there," Harbaugh said. "I might be in a little pain but I'll be out there."
That's boss when even our coaches play hurt thru the preseason.  :yay  :cfhead Now I'm all Vermeil in my office...
Official GreenBay Correspondent...

Don Ho

Quote from: JailBird-man on August 26, 2005, 11:09:05 AM
QuoteHarbaugh intends to lose the crutches and do whatever is necessary to coach his unit tonight at 8 when the Eagles oppose the Cincinnati Bengals at Lincoln Financial Field.
That's boss when even our coaches play hurt thru the preseason.  :yay  :cfhead Now I'm all Vermeil in my office...

Win one for the Gipper!
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

TexasEagle

Quote from: JailBird-man on August 26, 2005, 11:09:05 AM
That's boss when even our coaches play hurt thru the preseason. :yay :cfhead Now I'm all Vermeil in my office...

He's a coach, give him a lawn chair. It's not like he has to run up and down the sidelines. :P