The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

nevermind what, houston j?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Kobe fined $100K for homophobic slur at ref? 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Sgt PSN

No, he was fined because his slur was caught on camera and even though you couldn't hear what he said, it was easy enough to read his lips.  If the camera wasn't on him at that particular moment, there's no fine. 

ice grillin you

if it didnt get caught on camera and a ref or anyone else  reported it to the league you can best believe he would have been slapped with a huge fine...players get fined in the nba all the time for verbal abuse of the refs when no one has any idea what they said...a farg you on a ref is getting you 15k...that fact that kobe cussed out a ref AND used a slur to do it got him the 100K

it being caught on camera may have upped the fine a few bucks but he was getting fined no matter ....the nba made a point last offseason to really cut down on player ref exchanges....if you say nothing this year and are demonstrative with your body language you are getting a technical
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

"In two more signs that the NBA is gearing up for a lockout starting July 1, the league has scrubbed its annual Las Vegas summer league and has also scuttled its annual summer internship program, according to league sources. The Las Vegas summer league normally starts around July 9, with upwards of 20 teams, including the Knicks, sending little-used veteran players and rookies to compete over a 10-day period. Also, the NBA usually hires about 30 college students to participate in a 10-week internship program in the league's offices in New York and at the league's entertainment division in Secaucus, N.J. In preparing for a lockout, the NBA is also not sending any teams abroad for training camp, and did not schedule any preseason games in Europe for this fall."

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyGirl

QuoteSo a homophobe, a rapist, and a black guy walk into a bar, and everyone's like "Can I have your autograph, Kobe?"
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 13, 2011, 07:47:09 PM
if it didnt get caught on camera and a ref or anyone else  reported it to the league you can best believe he would have been slapped with a huge fine...players get fined in the nba all the time for verbal abuse of the refs when no one has any idea what they said...a farg you on a ref is getting you 15k...that fact that kobe cussed out a ref AND used a slur to do it got him the 100K

it being caught on camera may have upped the fine a few bucks but he was getting fined no matter ....the nba made a point last offseason to really cut down on player ref exchanges....if you say nothing this year and are demonstrative with your body language you are getting a technical

Of course players get fined for excessive language towards refs but typically it's not one of the top 3 players in the game and it's almost never caught on camera.  So we know when the players get fined for abusing a ref but very rarely do we actually know what was said.  And that's the point.....if there's no camera on Kobe at the time, the fine isn't quite as hefty and it's probably just a footnote on the box score or game recap that reads something like "Kobe Bryant was fined $XXX by the NBA for abusive language towards a referee" rather than being a national story. 

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 14, 2011, 11:11:15 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 13, 2011, 07:47:09 PM

Of course players get fined for excessive language towards refs but typically it's not one of the top 3 players in the game and it's almost never caught on camera.  So we know when the players get fined for abusing a ref but very rarely do we actually know what was said.  And that's the point.....if there's no camera on Kobe at the time, the fine isn't quite as hefty and it's probably just a footnote on the box score or game recap that reads something like "Kobe Bryant was fined $XXX by the NBA for abusive language towards a referee" rather than being a national story. 

if its not on camera and no one heard it youd be right

if it wasnt caught on the camera and it was reported by the ref that a slur was used or by another player then best believe it would have been news

kevin garnett called villenueva a cancer patient and that blew up even tho no one saw or heard it simply because villeunueva talked about it after the game

Sgt PSN

Yeah, but I doubt that the ref would have said anything to the media about it and we'd all still be speculating exactly what Kobe said.  I think most refs, if questioned by the media, would say something generic like "he used some inappropriate language so I gave him a tech." or something like that. 

Regardless, the league got it right.  100k fine and move on.  Not suspension worthy. 

ice grillin you

that was one of the all time collapses ive ever seen

MDS

or maybe derrick rose is just incredible? and the pacers already suck?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

It's probably a combination of all 3.