Rest Of Baseball - 2021

Started by PhillyPhreak54, January 07, 2021, 12:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

i think he just read some pro jimmy propaganda about gold gloves compared to some dude from the 70s and fielding percentage which discounts range and counts arbitrary scoring decisions and is running with it.

jimmy's dWAR, which factors in UZR (ultimate zone rating, basically how much ground you cover) and the other rudimentary bs referenced, was 15.9 for his entire career. peaked at 2.5 in 2005, his athletic prime area. vizquel was a 29.5. andrelton simmons is at a 28.1. ozzie was a 44.2. troy tulowitzki is a 17.

defensive stats are not perfect but this gives you a sense that jimmy was a great fielder but not an elite one. nothing wrong with it.

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

I compared his overall career to other ss in the hof and he's worthy. I'm still waiting to hear an argument his body of work isn't better than 75% of SS's in the hof. lol at you saying in one post "stats mean nothing watch the game" then throwing a bunch of sabremetrics at me.

MDS

you cannot possibly expect anyone to take fielding percentage or gold gloves seriously...like i said defensive metrics are suspect but dwar is roughly as close as it gets. you cant tell a defensive story without uzr.

im not gonna go through ever primary ss in the hof and comp jimmy's numbers to them, i dont care. you watched him play every day for a decade like i did. if you saw a hof player you and i were watching different sports
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

jimmy rollins didnt make an error and errors are bad and he fielded good and other people said he fielded good then he the ball far so he should go in the hall of fame

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Wade Boggs had 1,258 more hits than strikeouts in the 1980s
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Still not as impressive as crushing 70 beers on a single flight

PhillyPhreak54

Shocker - baseball continues to shtein on their fans.

Way to farg things up again, MLB.

MDS

i find the reaction to this wholly interesting since its the first labor dispute to play out on social media

the nfl had one ~10 years ago that went right to the wire (dream team!), baseball lost the world series in 1994 and eventually the fans came back, hockey lost AN ENTIRE season and attendance was fine the next year. but if you scroll around twitter youd think this is the end of the sport.

MDS

owners got what they wanted

shutting down the sport for 1-2 months then playing another 7-8 years out like normal. you did it !

Geowhizzer

MDS

the only owners that really want early season games are those that have a big season ticket base and/or have a monster local tv deal. its like 5 teams, im not even sure the phillies are in this.

the owners figured out during the covid year they can cash in with fewer games and fewer paydays so long as they hit the postseason tv deal which is where a bulk of the revenue comes in. this is what its all about.

PhillyPhreak54

I hope people tune out and they lose what little fan base they have left.

The die bards won't go anywhere. Maybe a few. But the fringe fan hopefully will not tune in. Baseball has been lousy at marketing the game for years. They do shtein that's counterproductive to promoting that game. And now they pull this? farg em.

Manfred and the owners are tone deaf. Burn it to the ground.

MDS

the nba had a lockout in 2011...does anyone ever remember this? i dont. the league came back in december and ratings were higher.

the only people who even notice baseball is locked out are super fans. theyll all be back in may when the season starts and the casuals will be like oh cool baseball sure. but get fired up and send your tweets !