Sports Suffering Cities (updated thru '19 Washington Nationals)

Started by ice grillin you, January 28, 2006, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

They couldn't be more right about #1.

I still feel like vomiting every time I think about that motherfarging game. The path to a championship has never been easier since '83 than that one. It was the worst thing I have ever witnessed as a sports fan.

QB Eagles

That list is like a journey through hell. J.D. Drew, Reggie Miller, Claude Lemieux, Shawn Bradley, Ronde Barber... these are some of Satan's right-hand men.

MadMarchHare

That article makes me want to murder every single person in a 10 mile radius.
Anyone but Reid.

Phanatic

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 19, 2008, 02:16:48 PM
to this day i have never really understood the brindamour obsession

He was a decent hard working player. What's not to like?

Primeau was a guy that never lived up to his billing but was a nice player too. Primeau never put up the numbers Brindamour did at the NHL level though.

This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

MDS

pimreau basically brought them to within 1 game of the cup in 04 or 05 whatever year it was.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Phanatic on May 19, 2008, 09:01:57 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on May 19, 2008, 02:16:48 PM
to this day i have never really understood the brindamour obsession

He was a decent hard working player. What's not to like?

i never said i disliked him i said i dont get why hes an all time beloved flyer

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

He was hard-nosed. He was a leader. He put up points. He was overshadowed for much of his career by bigger talents but was always steady on the ice. I have absolutely no confusion about why he is so well loved. That trade wasn't awful, but Brindamour leaving Philly sucked.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

theres 20 other flyer players i could say that about who also achieved more than brindamour but arent nearly as loved...he was a fine player but theres no real reason he should be in the pantheon of all time flyers

if i had to guess why the infatuation is there it would have more to do with people not liking eric lindros than anything rod brindamour ever did

rjs246

He had 600+ points in 633 games as a Flyer. He excelled on the powerplay and the penalty kill. Hell, he did everything then that Mike Richards does now. Yes, he was also the anti-Lindros, but to say that there have been 20+ Flyers to play as well as he did for the team is wrong.

Plus at this point over his career he has over 1100 points and a cup. easy to understand why people dig the dude.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

who cares what he did on carolina....the guy was a nice player but hardly some legend

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

all of that is meaningless when it comes to explaining why he was beloved....no one looked at him as a scorer then or now so his pt totals are irrelevant...he didnt fight or was overly tough....he didnt score one memorable goal was never on a memorable team never had a memorable post season series....

he was a solid two way forward who was the anti eric lindros....thats all i can come up with...if that makes you a flyer legend then count me as very perplexed....if you worship him more power to you i just dont get it

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Phanatic

He scored 97 points one season and was able to put up quite a few 80 + point seasons with the Flyers as a 2nd line center. There aren't 20 + players that can say that and the ones that can get treated the same in my book. I also have simular feelings for Hextal because I loved the intensity he played with even if he was his own worst enemy.

Also Primeau was part of the team that came close to the cup but was not the sole reason they were there by any stretch. He was a solid leader and a nice player.

Brindamour is in the top 10 of all time Flyers scorers...

1 Bobby Clarke 1210
2 Bill Barber 883
3 Brian Propp 849
4 Rick MacLeish 697
5 Eric Lindros 659
6 Tim Kerr 650
7 John LeClair 643
8 Mark Recchi 627
9 Rod Brind'Amour 601
10 Gary Dornhoefer 518

It sucked to see him go and it sucked watching him continue to have 80 + point seasons for another team and win a cup elsewhere. As with all Philly sports.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Rome

People loved Rod because he was a hard hat/lunch pail type player.  He wasn't a Lindros-type talent but he was very productive and fit the Philly ideal for professional athletes to a tee.