Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

At this point Theon's story is clearly more about introducing who is torturing him as a character rather than Theon himself.  I still wish it was abbreviated some.   Dont need the watch Theon get ripped to pieces every week story.  They can skip a few episodes.

Zanshin

I'm sure this show is good...but I just don't have a natural interest in the genre. Walking Dead is sort of the same way. Assuming that I don't have time to watch both, which one of those shows is more of the "must watch"? I know that this is the GoT thread, but I think most of the people in here rave about the other one, too.

Munson

The Walking Dead has a lot of potential, but definitely isn't up to the same quality as Game of Thrones. I mean if you enjoy the idea of living in a world taken over by zombies, you'll enjoy Walking Dead, but you'll definitely be able to see the weak writing, acting, and dialogue. It's just frustrating because they'll have some really great episodes (The Pilot, the season 2 mid-season finale, the "Clear" episode this season), and then some episodes where it's slow moving and the writing isn't good enough to make up for the slow pace.

Game of Thrones has superior acting, superior writing, and a much bigger budget. I also avoided it like hell at first because I wasn't into the fantasy genre, but then I started watching, and it's pretty damn awesome. A lot of politics, a lot of cloak and dagger stuff, and up until this season the fantasy stuff has been mostly background.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on May 06, 2013, 11:14:06 AM
At this point Theon's story is clearly more about introducing who is torturing him as a character rather than Theon himself.  I still wish it was abbreviated some.   Dont need the watch Theon get ripped to pieces every week story.  They can skip a few episodes.

Yeah that definitely seems to be the case. I'm still assuming it's Roose Botlon's bastich since he was the one that was sent to get Theon out of Winterfell. Plus he had that horn this week that Theon was getting all pissy about last season hah
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

phattymatty

i think this is my problem with the show...i watched the first two seasons and i still have no idea who any of those names are that you are saying. roose botlon?

Munson

In Season 2, Roose Bolton was the guy with the shorter hair that became Robb's right hand man. In the episode where Robb meets the hot chick as she saws off that dude's foot, Roose Bolton is the guy that was talking to Robb about all the prisoners and tried talking him into flaying and torturing the prisoners for information. He's the guy who Jaime was talking to yesterday at the dinner table.

In Season 2, when they heard that Winterfell was captured, Bolton is the guy that says to Robb "Let me send word to my bastich at the Dreadfort (where House Bolton lives), he can gather men and take back Winterfell"

rjs246

Bran is boring. Theon is just what the farg. Jon is meh. Sam is fat and needs to die. Now that Jamie has lost his hand and cried like a bitch in the bathtub, I don't care about him anymore.

But even still I thought last night was good because of all of the storylines happening in King's Landing. The Sansa/Tyrion/Littlefinger/Tywin/Olenna/Joffrey story lines and political maneuvering are great.

And the Melissandra/Thoros/Arya thing was pretty good too.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

I get the feeling Bran won't be as interesting again until we get more detailed visions from him/the Reed boy shows him how to use his gift. But I am hoping he and Jon meet up

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: rjs246 on May 06, 2013, 01:19:01 PM
Bran is boring. Theon is just what the farg. Jon is meh. Sam is fat and needs to die. Now that Jamie has lost his hand and cried like a bitch in the bathtub, I don't care about him anymore.

But even still I thought last night was good because of all of the storylines happening in King's Landing. The Sansa/Tyrion/Littlefinger/Tywin/Olenna/Joffrey story lines and political maneuvering are great.

And the Melissandra/Thoros/Arya thing was pretty good too.

I think there is a pretty considerable gap between the more and less interesting characters, at least, in terms of where they're at in the show right now.  I understand what they're trying to do with Theon but I feel like I'm watching Hostel with it.  I think they could avoid showing a random body part gets tortured every week.  Bran is Bran.  I've always found him to be boring, but his story is slow right now.  Sam is the same.  Jaime is my favorite character so I disagree on that front, and love him & Brienne but to each his own.

I agree with all of the King's Landing stuff.  Tyrion has taken a back seat this season compared to the last two.  It will be interesting to see whether he gets more prominent a role the second half of the season. 

The scene with Melisandre was the first that I've enjoyed with her.  I don't think the actress does a great job with a character who I found to be pretty interesting in the books, but that scene was good.  Also, on top of all the shtein which should happen next week, Martin (the author) wrote it.  He wrote two very good episodes for the show in season 1 and 2 (The Pointy End & Blackwater) and this next one should be no exception.

rjs246

I liked Jamie and Brienne when they were matching wits and building towards a duel and earning each others' respect. Now that Jamie is diminished in body and bravado he's just a throw-away character. There's every chance for him to become interesting again, but right now he's just blah.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

Eagles_Legendz

I think what's interesting about Jaime and Brienne is how Brienne represents, in a sense, what Jaime thought he would be as a kid.  Dude joined the kingsguard at 15, the youngest ever and seemed genuinely interested in just being an "honorable knight" (and boning his sister).  Then he saw all the shtein Aerys did, how he burned people alive etc, and the reaction he got after killing him and that just completely embittered his character and outlook on life/vows/honor and he came to basically singularly rely on his fighting abilities and developed this sense of cynical pessimism.  Brienne represents what he thought being a knight would be etc and I think you can see a part of her rubbing off on him (and maybe him on her, getting her to realize everything isn't always what it's like in the storybooks).

I just think he's at an interesting point in the story in terms of self assessment and whether Brienne and the loss of what identified him "I was that swordhand" will actually change him in any way.  Basically whether he wants to be more than what he's become, or whether all he wants to do is just get back to Cersei and have things be the way they were before he was captured.  I think he's at an interesting crossroads.

/end fanboy post

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Munson on May 06, 2013, 02:01:04 PM

Speaking of Loras they're sorta making him move on a tad bit quick from Renly in the show aren't they?  Not that he's thrilled with the marriage prospect, but having sex with another guy...I don't normally quote or compare at length with the books unless its asked but he had one of my favorite book lines that obviously ain't happening in the show:

"When the sun has set, no candle can replace it."   Regarding the prospects of being happy with anyone else post-Renly.

Munson

I mean at this point I think it's been a long time since Renly died, no? A guy's gotta get laid once in a while haha

If he wasn't thrilled about Sansa, I'm sure he's downright mopey about being paired with Cersi now.

hbionic

Wasn't he banging Cersi?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05