Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: smeags on June 17, 2014, 02:40:44 PM
Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on June 17, 2014, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: smeags on June 17, 2014, 12:30:23 PM
would i miss that much of the story by not reading all of 4 ? i could always go back to it after reading 5 as we all wait until 2080 when book 6 comes out.

The fourth and fifth books happen concurrently.  80% of the way through Dance (book 5) they sync again.

If you're going to read the books I'd recommend reading them both. 

My biggest problem is Martin got a little full of himself and world building after book 3.  So for the first time in the series you don't have a relatively finite list of POV characters throughout the whole book.  Instead you get, in addition, a handful of characters who get like two chapters. 

It's also somewhat disorienting because the first three books have such a heavy Lannister / Stark focus to spend so much time with the Martells (who are at least somewhat interesting) and the Greyjoys (who aren't).

alright, looks like i'll be reading both. i guess if i can get through tolkien's work, especially silmarillion i can get through 4 without banging my head against the wall.

I don't think this is a spoiler, but again, to be safe, I'll code it.  It's not a spoiler because we're at the point where it's obvious who is still alive going into book4/5 (since they're concurrent) but I'll post the general POV characters in each so you can get a feel for what I'm saying:

Book 4: [spoiler]Jaime, Cersei, Brienne, 3 characters in Dorne, 3 Greyjoys, Arya, Sansa, Sam[/spoiler]
Book 5: [spoiler]Dany, Tyrion, Jon, Theon, Davos, Barristan, Asha (Yara in the show), Bran (and then a handful of one or two off chapters)[/spoiler]

Book 5 is more consolidated in terms of number of chapters each person gets and generally has more interesting storylines [spoiler]Jaime and Cersei in AFFC to me were very interesting, the rest, not as much.[/spoiler]

@Munson - I've never been terribly invested in the Greyjoy story outside of Theon and Asha (Yara).  The expansion of the Greyjoy world beyond them and into Theon's uncles and what not just didn't do anything for me.  To each his own though.

Munson

Hmm..interesting. I'm not sure how I'd feel about their uncles, but I feel like Dorne characters would be extremely interesting to read in the wake of Oberyn's death. My money is still on Dorne being Dany's first Westerosi allies.

Just in case anyone wanted an update on Gendry:
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjJOcnt3os

His first video of impressions was good, but these made me laugh pretty good
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Munson on June 24, 2014, 12:48:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjJOcnt3os

His first video of impressions was good, but these made me laugh pretty good

1) that is well done

2) you can probably safely read the epilogue to Storm since interviews are suggesting it is entirely cut from the show

Munson

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Munson

smeags

Eagles_Legendz

Cast Mr Eko (Adibisi from Oz) today.  Eko was my favorite Lost character.  Not sure what role he'll have yet but it was pretty awesome to see that.

Munson

The World of Ice & Fire came out yesterday and it's awesome. Legendz I imagine you'll love it.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles_Legendz

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on November 06, 2014, 11:37:45 AM
No Bran next season.

Kinda would have preferred that, instead of going so far ahead in his story, they just used him sparingly last season and spent more screentime on some of the more compelling characters (couple more Oberyn scenes, perhaps?), while letting his story develop slowly in the background with only a scene here or there. They did so with Stannis, IMO, and it has worked out well.

Did you pick up World of Ice and Fire yet, Legendz?

smeags

seeing mixed reviews on the The World of Ice & Fire book on amazon.

i'll end up checking it out from one of my friends.