Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagaholic

My favorite part of the episode was the Missandei/Grey Worm scene. It was sweet. But it also violated a basic precept of GOT. "Love is the death of honor" was maester Aemon's words of wisdom to Jon in a seminal episode at The Wall, and it is as central a theme as any in ASOIAF imo. The Tully's words are Family, Duty, Honor and Catlyn made mistakes at every turn for the love of family. It was Robb's and the North's demise as well. Lord Karstark called it - the war was lost the moment Robb married Talisa. Honor was Ned's calling card but his fatal mistake was putting it aside for the love of family.

Jon survived his tribulations with Ygritte, barely, but got away with his life. Missandie isn't family for Grey Worm, but to me falling in love shouldn't bode well for an Unsullied commander.

My favorite line of the show was the ultra stern/creepy Queen Selyse telling Davos to stop talking about battle with Shireen or he'll scare her.

Tywin and Roose told their sons the same story about being an affront to them and wanting to throw them into the sea/river when they were born. But then they looked at them and had the thought that 'this is my son' and relented, allowing them to grow up, albeit motherless. I don't think it's unintentional but don't see what the parallel might be, other than the ruthless ambition of both men.

I haven't liked Cersei's character development this season. She's lost some of her defiant and willful pride which doesn't set her up well for one of the best parts in all of GOTdom.  I can see to a point her cozying up to the High Sparrow in order to form an alliance (though why did they leave out such an important part from the book, [spoiler]forgiving the massive debt to the crown in exchange for taking up arms, which makes it so much more plausible?[/spoiler]). But being almost meek in the face of Margaey's gibing (what to call her, and 'sorry, it's still morning so we don't have any wine to offer you,' lol) seems out of character and in conflict with how she should be developing.

No great loss axing the Greyjoy storyline unless it plays some integral part down the line in the end story. In the books it was a tedious waste of time.

Edit: nm with the spoiler part. I guess it's because of how the show splits the sparrows from the Faith of the Seven and High Septon.

Eagles_Legendz

Cersei is feigning weakness of the show.  Basically conceding to Marg's face while stabbing her in the back.

Not something book Cersei would've done because she was way more fiery and crazy, but I think it fits with how Headey has consistently portrayed the character.

smeags

shteins about to get real.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

QB Eagles

Gotta say I didn't expect them to fully go there.

C'mon Reek, man the farg up.

Eagles_Legendz

I think they missed an opportunity with the sex scene. Sansa seducing Ramsay to show she's actually attempting to be manipulative makes her character evolve and not become victimization for the umpteenth time with her.

I mean, whether that would've been in character is debatable but if we're trying to establish that she isn't just functioning as a victim again...that would've been the way to go.

Munson

Yeah I think it would have been insanely out of character for her to go there, especially since she was still a virgin. Virgin's aren't usually adept at the art of seduction haha.

Extremely uncomfortable, depressing ending to that episode.

Enjoyed most everything else.

I really thought we were about to get Theon snapping out of it and going postal and smashing Ramsay's head through the wall. But I imagine Ramsay isn't going anywhere until, at the very least, Stannis attacks.

farg that farging farg Ramsay.

Enjoying the Jorah/Tyrion story so far. They make a funny traveling partnership, kind of sad that's already kind of going to end with the slavers taking them. Felt bad for Jorah when Tyrion told him the news and then realized Jorah didn't know.

Cersei's plans working out...for now. I know Lady Olenna won't be taking that laying down. shtein is about to get real in Kings Landing. Tommen is soft as shtein, not even standing up for his Queen. Was hoping we'd get the showdown between Olenna and Littlefinger...guess that's coming next episode. Also holy shtein lol at Littlefinger....dude proves time and again he's the most conniving, dangerous player in the game. And for a while I was convinced he might actually love Sansa in a creepy way, but I have little doubt now that he'd send her head to Cersei once he assumed control of the North. But it's amazing how much he's underestimated by Cersei right now...she's really about to name him the Warden of the North when he already has control of the Vale, and she is clueless as to how that could make him a rival of the Lannisters. Well played, Littlefinger.

Was afraid we'd be losing Bronn during the fight with the Sandsnakes...glad it didn't happen. Very anti-climatic though, probably because Bronn or anyone else didn't die. Obara was good with the spear but Nym and the other definitely seemed clunky in their fighting. Also got a chuckle out of Aero Hotah "when you were whole, it would have been a good fight"...dude seems like a total BAMF, hope we get more of him and his giant axe.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

Also the Sand Snakes are still farging horrible. Can't act, can't fight, whole plotline is dumb and embarrassing to me as a fan of this show. I'd watch a lot more CW shows if I were into this shtein.

Plus they probably just killed Bronn with poison. Yeah, they had a gratuitous shot of him getting cut. Three zesty characters (Four if you throw in Ellaria Sand, and I'm not really feeling that douchey prince either) for the price of one good one. More Doran, more black dude, kill every other Dornish person please.

Best part of the episode was any and every second Diana Rigg was on the screen. She is the greatest and the character is one of the show's best.

This is probably the least fun Arya season, mostly because she's in a quiet room washing people instead of jabbing people with Needle. I get that this whole season is basically training for her, but things move kinda glacially in the House of Black and White. It feels like they could have punched it up a bit more in the writing room. I'm guessing she'll try on the face of that little girl she killed.

I'm digging all the intrigue this season. Conspiracies in the works in Westeros:
- Lannisters vs Tyrells
- Lannisters vs Martells
- Lannisters and Vale vs Boltons and the Mannis
- The Mannis vs Boltons
- Boltons and Vale vs Lannisters
- North vs Boltons
- High Sparrow vs Tyrell/Lannister alliance (?)
- Ironborn vs Weiss/Benioff

Eagles_Legendz

Yeah Sand Snakes still blow and apparently can't fight either considering how choppily they edited the fight scene ...

I'm hoping once it's not just them interacting with each other the story will get better with them but I've seen no proof they can act either so far.  Really should be getting more Doran time. 

I liked most of the episode ... The end is getting a lot of backlash though.  Book version of that scene was even more disturbing.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on May 17, 2015, 11:10:16 PM
The end is getting a lot of backlash though.

Come on folks, this is Thrones here. You marry a sadist, you get raped.

Just hope he doesn't knock her up.

Munson

Pretty sure our Republican friends have assured us that "the body has a way of shutting all that down."

Let's hope for Sansa's sake, theyre right.

I thought Obara did well with the spear, but the other two definitely looked sloppy as shtein fighting.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Wonder how sore Sansa is this morning

SD

Here's my biggest issue with this season, how does some fanatical religious cult set shop up in Kings Landing and become the new law of the land?

Rome

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: SD on May 18, 2015, 08:20:52 AM
Here's my biggest issue with this season, how does some fanatical religious cult set shop up in Kings Landing and become the new law of the land?

Because they have Cersei's backing (which is ostensibly the king right now).  Doubt Olenna is going to tolerate it though.

smeags

it still seems rushed, the whole storyline. one episode there is this little westboro group running around and then, boom, next thing we know they are tossing the queen and her pilow bitting brother in jail.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it