The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

he would maybe go to brooklyn cause its brooklyn and jay z is there

jay z is a popular rapper young black males enjoy by the way

but he aint goin to newark
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

basketball is much bigger in brooklyn than manhattan...the question is how many non brooklyn knick fans can they syphon away...i think they will practically own brooklyn from the start....brooklyn is incredibly parochial...a lot like philly...and with jay z who is a borough legend coming from the marcy projects owning the team i think bucktown falls for them immediately...but with lebron making the team a legit player in the league they can also make inroads thruout the city perhaps

he may also like the challenge of trying to grow what basically will be an expansion team...and because of that the marketing possibilities in brooklyn are endless...even bigger than with the knicks imo
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

they wont go to brooklyn for 2-3 years though. not sure lebrons people and david stern wants him hidden away in nj when he could be lighting it up at msg.

the knicks are the safest possible bet. the bulls are the second. nj/bklyn is clearly a darkhorse.

though, yes. should lebron play in brooklyn the team wouldnt have any problem selling tickets. they could steal some knicks and nets fans away but when push comes to shove a good knicks team owns that town. then you have to factor in all the other bandwagon fans. the brooklyn teams appeal sans lebron wouldnt be that high. a brooklyn team with lebron could be astronomical. though a knicks team with lebron is a 100% guarantee winner on the court and in the $.

stern aint lettin this one slip. the knicks have been irrelevant since the early part of the decade and its killed the nba. hes not gonna not have a good teams in la, ny, bos and chitown when he can.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Quote from: Rome on February 18, 2010, 07:26:03 PM
Why the farg would Lebron play in Jersey when he can play in the mecca of basketball?

Philadelphia?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

Quote from: KDS on February 18, 2010, 10:27:20 PM
they wont go to brooklyn for 2-3 years though. not sure lebrons people and david stern wants him hidden away in nj when he could be lighting it up at msg.

the knicks are the safest possible bet. the bulls are the second. nj/bklyn is clearly a darkhorse.

though, yes. should lebron play in brooklyn the team wouldnt have any problem selling tickets. they could steal some knicks and nets fans away but when push comes to shove a good knicks team owns that town. then you have to factor in all the other bandwagon fans. the brooklyn teams appeal sans lebron wouldnt be that high. a brooklyn team with lebron could be astronomical. though a knicks team with lebron is a 100% guarantee winner on the court and in the $.

stern aint lettin this one slip. the knicks have been irrelevant since the early part of the decade and its killed the nba. hes not gonna not have a good teams in la, ny, bos and chitown when he can.

the whole knicks have to be good thing is overrated...the knicks name and msg will carry them forever no matter how bad they are..what other team can be so inept as the knicks have been and still get huge media run all the time

im not saying he wont go to the knicks but if i wanna play devils advocate with him going to the nets i can do it very easily...first of all with the knicks being the knicks and a classic historical nba franchise it makes more sense for the best player in the nba to go to a franchise that is making a huge move and actually needs the boost lebron would give...the knicks needs good players to simply become competitive the nets need good players to be come competitive AND relevant AND kick start a franchise that is basically an expansion team in a market that is going to be very hard to penetrate

throw in the fact that i can see lebron wanting to take on this challenge plus the obvious jay-z factor and i think it would be a perfect spot for him...again im not saying it will happen im just throwing out reasons why i think it makes total sense

Rome

the ignorance displayed here is astounding.

madison square garden is the mecca of basketball.  i hate it as much as anyone but it is and there's simply no denying it.

ice grillin you

lol...settle down no one said it wasnt

altho its more of a cliche now than its ever been...its a really neat thing to say isnt it?

when it comes to making a decision as to where a guy is going to play its not a massive factor and its not even the biggest playing in nyc factor

reese125

couldnt of said it better myself--ny is played out. half the country hates ny anyway

everyone also thinks that you have to play in ny to get these huge megga endorsements...like you would be a fool not to play in ny

talk to manning about a small market and his ability to lure endorsements

ice grillin you

if youre the greatest quarterback ever or lebron james you can get national endorsements anywhere

but ask peyton manning how his local endorsements look...i would guess they pale in comparison to like the 8th best yankee

you cant put a number on the amount of local endorsements available in nyc compared to other places....especially MA

MDS

you cant put a number on how the tv ratings will improve should be it be lebron the knicks vs. kobe and the lakers the finals as opposed to lebron and the cavs.

and i know you people claim to hate that shtein but tv ratings and the revenue it generates drives decisions and essentially makes the sport. why do you think the nfl has a bigger warchest of $ than the thickness of my shaft? come on.

david stern isnt passing up a chance to have the biggest superstar in the game and one of the biggest in sports play in the top market. and lebron isnt an idiot, he wants to be the king.

DH

Quote from: reese125 on February 19, 2010, 10:48:22 AM
everyone also thinks that you have to play in ny to get these huge megga endorsements...like you would be a fool not to play in ny

Exactly. I argued w someone (Knicks fan) yesterday about this. How much more is Lebron going to make by way of sponsor/endorsement deals playing in NY compared to in Cleveland? He already is locked up with Nike, Coke, McD's and other major companies who pay him close to 50mil per year. Put him in a Knicks uniform and now all of the sudden every other Fortune 500 company is gonna want to scoop him up?? No.

As far as Lebrons endorsements go, winning a title in Cleveland will be more lucrative to him than just merely signing with the Knicks/Nets.

That said, dont sleep on his relationship with Hova. It's a lot tighter than people realize, and I personally know that Jay has been selling Bron on BK since at least 08.

ice grillin you

Quote from: KDS on February 19, 2010, 11:57:25 AM
you cant put a number on how the tv ratings will improve should be it be lebron the knicks vs. kobe and the lakers the finals as opposed to lebron and the cavs.

and i know you people claim to hate that shtein but tv ratings and the revenue it generates drives decisions and essentially makes the sport. why do you think the nfl has a bigger warchest of $ than the thickness of my shaft? come on.

david stern isnt passing up a chance to have the biggest superstar in the game and one of the biggest in sports play in the top market. and lebron isnt an idiot, he wants to be the king.

spurs won the lottery for tim duncan over the celtics

DH

Another conversation I had yesterday - David Robinson breaking his foot was the best thing to ever happen to that city.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: KDS on February 19, 2010, 11:57:25 AM

the nfl does better in tv ratings than the other leagues for 2 main reasons:

1.  16 game schedule gives more meaning to the regular season.  each game literally means something because every year division winners are usually decided by maybe 2 games and playoff berths are usually up for grabs by about 6 or 7 teams with 1 game making the difference. 

2.  1 game a week, on sunday, is much easier for people to watch rather than 5 games a week, which come on at various and often inconvenient times. 

obviously, the nfl product itself is superior as well but even if the league as a whole was mediocre, it will still probably be tops in the ratings based on convenience alone. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 19, 2010, 12:17:46 PM
obviously, the nfl product itself is superior as well but even if the league as a whole was mediocre, it will still probably be tops in the ratings based on gambling alone.