Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [CTE]

Started by Diomedes, May 02, 2011, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagaholic

Quote from: Diomedes on October 30, 2014, 10:48:32 PM
I swear to you, this CTE is the end of the NFL as we know it.  Year after year fewer and fewer kids will be allowed to play the game at all, and the talent will slowly shift to other sports, and eventually so will the fans.

Most fans don't even realize it yet but the football we all grew up to know and love is already dead. It is a thing of the past. Who thinks we'll see another defense like the late 80/early 90s with those personalities and those hits?   

The obsessive intoxication with profiteering, opening every possible new revenue stream and shoving commercials down our throat is also soul killing to the sport. 

The best the NFL could hope for is to replace good hard nose football with exciting big play offense, but they are shooting themselves in the foot even with that because of the absurd penalty calling and poor officiating.

The mistake they made was not incorporating a risk acceptance statement in the standard player contract... I understand football is dangerous and can result in injury and even death... I accept the risks and will not hold the NFL liable etc... etc...  Boxing, MMA, and NASCAR accept injury as part (and sometimes the point) of the sport. Agree to the risk or don't play should have been the NFL's stance.

RIP good ole days, next they'll be playing with a pink striped football.

MDS

gross over exaggeration

but at least you like and watch sports
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

If Chuck Cecil played in today's NFL Goodell would have him arrested and Troy Vincent would empty his bank account.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on October 30, 2014, 10:49:50 PM
no it wont, drama queen

with dio its definitely more of a hope it happens than think its gonna happen...or at least 50/50
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 31, 2014, 12:20:18 AM
If Chuck Cecil played in today's NFL Goodell would have him arrested and Troy Vincent would empty his bank account.

you love brain damage

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 31, 2014, 09:09:46 AM
Quote from: MDS on October 30, 2014, 10:49:50 PM
no it wont, drama queen

with dio its definitely more of a hope it happens than think its gonna happen...or at least 50/50

he doesnt like sports....especially popular ones like football. fun kid to talk to though
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

he especially hates football tho...hes a true liberal so i cant hate...but he def wants it gone

PhillyPhreak54

I love brain damage? How do you figure?

ice grillin you

Goodall not allowing junior seau's family speak at his HOF induction...in fact no one will induct him....he gets a video

this is beyond sickening

Diomedes

Why induct him at all?  Dude is obviously a traitor.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 24, 2015, 05:57:43 PM
Goodall not allowing junior seau's family speak at his HOF induction...in fact no one will induct him....he gets a video

this is beyond sickening

Slimeball maneuver to be certain.

MDS

i think its a pfhof decision, not goodell. if you believe them.

Rome

I won't watch it nor do I give a shtein about the ceremony.  If an Eagle ever makes it, let me know.  I'll ignore that too.

LOL @ anyone being surprised that a gag is being imposed, though.   It's like some of you literally just fell off the turnip truck in here.

Munson

Not to defend the scumbbag NFL, but I'm pretty sure this was not a Junior Seau decision....I've read and heard a few things saying that the HOF decided to stop having people speak for deceased inductees a few years ago.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

Quote from: MDS on July 24, 2015, 06:24:49 PM
i think its a pfhof decision, not goodell. if you believe them.

Supposedly the ban on deceased having anyone speak for them goes back to a couple years before Seau died. It would be an exemption from the policy to allow the family to speak. This isn't a case of singling out Seau's family.

Point is though, you make the exemption in a case like this. Particularly as it seems the family was already told they would be speaking, and their part in the video was filmed with that understanding.

The media pressure on this might be enough to make the Hall back down. If the Hall/Goodell (and the difference is academic) don't move on this it will say a lot to the extent they are willing to go to keep a lid on the CTE shtein.

Rome

Goodell doesn't want anyone reminding the paying customers that these dopes are literally killing themselves for our entertainment.

I can't blame him one bit.   Suspension of disbelief FTMFW.