Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

We all hope that for you as well.  Do report back.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Tomahawk

Quote from: Diomedes on January 16, 2017, 05:43:22 PM
We all hope that for you as well.  Do report back.

False...I hope he either hates it or it blows up when he turns it on

Sgt PSN

Chromebook came today.  Sadly I don't hate it and it didn't blow up either.  Been playing with it for an hour or so and this thing is pretty legit.  I was expecting basic as hell, and while it's definitely very basic in comparison to a Windows or Mac laptop, there's more going on with it than I thought there would be.  The ability to add android apps is nice too.  I hate gmail web and the gmail app.  Really cool that I can use the same mail app on this thing that I use on my phone.  These things are what like 99% of computer owners really need.

Anyone know if Chrome or Play Store apps can be stored on the microsd card?  I know that with phones and tablets, any app that you install is only installed on the device's internal storage.  Some apps will allow you to move bits of app data to your card in order to save space, but the app itself remains on the internal storage.  That's the only potential downside I see so far...16GB of storage and ChromeOS takes up half of that, so I'm only left with 8GB out of the box.  Other than that, this thing seems pretty cool.   

smeags

I didn't read the other posts on this and don't want to really, but what size is it ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Sgt PSN

10.1"  I think that's about the same size as the regular iPad.  Maybe a shade bigger. 

Tomahawk

I have a Samsung Galaxy7 Edge....the message+ widget quit working. It just will not open. I can't uninstall it an reinstall because it's a widget. Any ideas?

Sgt PSN

Is that a stock widget?  What's it do?  Just a text messaging widget?

Sgt PSN

So I googled it and saw that it's a pre-loaded Verizon app.  My advice:  Pre-loaded carrier apps generally suck.  I'm on AT&T and they put about a dozen of useless RAM & storage sucking apps that you can't get rid of unless you load a custom ROM.  I just go into my settings and disable all the bloatware that I don't want (which is pretty much all of it) and then hide the apps so that they don't show up in my app drawer. 

Samsung's stock text messaging app is very serviceable.  Google Hangouts is also very popular.  Both have supporting widgets if that's important to you.  Whatsapp is another one.  Don't know about it's widget functionality, but I'd imagine it has one. 

Sgt PSN

If you don't want to change apps, try the following:

1.  Make sure your OS and apps are up to date.  If not, run the updates.

2.  Have you ever moved Message+ app data to your MicroSD card?  If so, try moving it back to internal storage.  Some widgets lose functionality if you move app data to an external drive. 

3.  Remove the widget from your home screen (long press on the widget and select remove).  Restart your phone.  Add the widget again. 

4.  Clear cache.  Settings/Application Manager/Message+/Storage/Clear Cache.  Restart phone.

If none of that works, lmk.  It's starting to get beyond my own knowledge base but I know a couple of super nerds I can ask. 

Tomahawk

My google results were fruitless because I erroneously thought it was a Samsung app. When I googled "verizon message+ won't open", I was able to find how to fix it.

I appreciate your help!

Sgt PSN

Got a Galaxy S3 Frontier smartwatch as an early b-day present.  I'm still not 100% in on smartwatch technology yet...I think within another 2 or 3 years these things will have insane features that will render this one almost completely obsolete....but this thing is still pretty damn cool.

I do like being able to check text/email notifications or seeing who is calling without even pulling my phone out of my pocket.  Can actually reply to text/emails on this thing, but that seems like a huge pain in the ass. 

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Haha...nice.  I kind of miss my old component system.  I still have my og Technics stand from like the farging 80s or maybe early 90s.  I converted it to a printer stand/random crap holder for my office, but if I ever wanted to use it for stereo components I just need to take the shelf off the top that's holding the printer and put the clear plastic lid back on for a record player.  I think I've still got the glass doors for the front, too. 

My mom has 2 older Sony receivers that she's getting rid of because they don't have HDMI pass through capabilities and she's finally decided to join the rest of us in the 21st century with new home theater technology. 

I was thinking of snagging one of them to put in the garage/workshop just for the hell of it.  I can buy a bluetooth receiver for like $10 that would plug into the Audio In ports so that I could stream music from my phone.

If I still had my cassette collection I'd probably pick up a tape deck from Goodwill or something.

ice grillin you

it's amazing how high quality shtein was made back in the day compared to now...my old stereo receiver is three times heavier than my 50 inch tv

I also got 1/8 to rca's jack so I can run my iPhone thru my boomin system
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous