Thread for Hippos to mock Penn State

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, February 02, 2006, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Are you actively looking for people's opinions and more information about this story? I got about one page into the 'guide to the indictment' or whatever and have actively stopped looking for more information. I don't need or want to know any more about this. In fact what I WANT is to never even hear or think about it ever again. Unfortunately, it's probably all I'll think about for a little while and I'll definitely be hearing about it for a long while.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

reese125

I expect more and more positive comments about the guy from previous players to help paint a better picture, but regardless Jerry Sandusky still needs to be shanked in the neck out in the yard at Pelican Bay.

MDS

still wearing a psu jacket....

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: rjs246 on November 07, 2011, 02:31:51 PM
Are you actively looking for people's opinions and more information about this story? I got about one page into the 'guide to the indictment' or whatever and have actively stopped looking for more information. I don't need or want to know any more about this. In fact what I WANT is to never even hear or think about it ever again. Unfortunately, it's probably all I'll think about for a little while and I'll definitely be hearing about it for a long while.

Just through Facebook, and not very actively. And I posted LaVar's thing here before I read it... It's crap. And apparently he refuses to read the indictment document too.

But I am trying to figure out ways I can again be proud to be a Penn Stater. Not easy to figure out right now.

QuoteFor the glory of old State,
For her founders strong and great,
For the future that we wait,
Raise the song, raise the song.

Sing our love and loyalty,
Sing our hopes that, bright and free,
Rest, O Mother dear, with thee,
All with thee, all with thee.

When we stood at childhood's gate,
Shapeless in the hands of fate,
Thou didst mold us, dear old State,
Dear old State, dear old State.

May no act of ours bring shame
To one heart that loves thy name,
May our lives but swell thy fame,
Dear old State, dear old State.

Dear God... even the lyrics to the alma mater are a joke waiting to happen.

rjs246

Quote from: FastFreddie on November 07, 2011, 03:11:22 PM
But I am trying to figure out ways I can again be proud to be a Penn Stater. Not easy to figure out right now.

Agreed. This shtein will haunt me for a long time.

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

i don't think lavar's article is crap. i mean yeah he shouldn't really be writing anything at all if he can't even stomach reading the grand jury report, but it has to be rough thinking someone that meant a lot to you could do something so disgusting. it's human nature to think there has to be some kind of mistake.

they'll all come around eventually because by this point there's no way he's innocent.

phattymatty

PoopyfaceMcGee

So, you appreciate the article because it introduces a unique perspective that most of us obviously don't have. Meanwhile, I don't appreciate it because it offers me no solace or hope of getting to the best possible resolution here. Basically, I just want everyone to assume he's guilty as shtein, move on to figuring else who else gets the hammer dropped, and get Penn State back on the right track.

Unfortunately, it won't be quick like that. Long, painful process ahead.

reese125

Im just curious--I know you guys are alums and it s a great school to go to, but why should one perv and the actions of 2 others affect your thinking about the time you spent at PSU?

You went to school there not because of the schools mission statement or lyrics to the alma matter, but either because family went there, its a top university to get an educaton and easier access for future employment, the football games would be off the hook and you knew it was a hell of a party school. When this blows over...and it most certainly will....I highly doubt when someone says to you, "hey what school did you go to?" and you tell them Penn State, they are going to be like, "sorry to hear that man".

Im here for hugs.

Sgt PSN

I heard Sandusky recruited Freddie to go there even though he didn't play football. Weird.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: MDS on November 07, 2011, 03:08:26 PM

still wearing a psu jacket....

Just what the school needs right now....
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

rjs246

Quote from: reese125 on November 07, 2011, 03:38:16 PM
Im just curious--I know you guys are alums and it s a great school to go to, but why should one perv and the actions of 2 others affect your thinking about the time you spent at PSU?

You went to school there not because of the schools mission statement or lyrics to the alma matter, but either because family went there, its a top university to get an educaton and easier access for future employment, the football games would be off the hook and you knew it was a hell of a party school. When this blows over...and it most certainly will....I highly doubt when someone says to you, "hey what school did you go to?" and you tell them Penn State, they are going to be like, "sorry to hear that man".

Im here for hugs.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I grew up in a penn state obsessed household. Sandusky was held in just as high a regard as Paterno.

On top of that, and this is a little silly but it's true so I'll share, there was a certain comfort in rooting for a sqeaky clean (if completely boring) Penn State football program. We all learned long ago that professional sports isn't the hero-haven that we wish it was. It's a business full of petulant spoiled children and cutthroat business men. We all know about the big name college football programs with shady pasts and questionable ethics. Penn State never had any of that. It was easy to root for them. It was easy to be proud of rooting for them because they won AND they did it without ever seeming to do anything shady. Sure they had fallen off recently in terms of national standing, but in an atmosphere of 'professional' college programs, Penn State seemed to actually be an upstanding citizen. It was boring and it led to some low-level mocking because Paterno is older than god, but there was never a question of moral character.

This situation isn't a pay to play scandal. Or something against the rules but equally morally benign. This is the lowest form of human behavior. Known about and covered up by an institution that took a lot of time and effort to cultivate its squeaky clean image. I would have been disappointed if they had uncovered something NCAA-sanctions-worthy. This is on a whole other level. The symbol of the school is the football program. That symbol is now utter garbage.

I guess that's the real issue. I didn't go to school there because of football. But football is the easiest way to keep my association with the school and it has always been a source of pride. Now what? Do I use the School of Communications as my Penn State badge of honor? Do I become a die hard women's volleyball fan? A fairly important part of how I think of myself is "Penn State fan" just like all of the people on this board on some level think of themselves and think "Eagles fan". It was a source of pride and fun. Now, that fairly significant portion of my self image brings really icky awful thoughts and feelings to the surface.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 07, 2011, 03:44:54 PM
I heard Sandusky recruited Freddie to go there even though he didn't play football. Weird.

Zing.

Good read.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

I watched the news team try to interview Sandusky and he didn't even deny the allegations. He just had this stupid smirk on his face. Obama should send Seal team 6 to his residence to put a bullet in his head.