The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Mullin got in for being a great talent who ended up getting his career cut short by injuries more than anything else.  Dude averaged 25 a game for five straight years in his prime and was a member of the Dream Team too.

Sgt PSN

Oh, I'm not discounting his skill but when it's all said an done I think he's a largely forgettable player from his era.  Of course, he also played in an era with like half of the 50 greatest players of all time too. 

QB Eagles

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 04, 2011, 08:13:28 PM
I don't really get Mullin getting the nod, but whatever.  I guess Steve Nash is the only cracker left as of today with a legit shot to get in.  

I'm sure Nowitzki will get in easily. The Basketball HOF isn't too picky about who gets in compared to baseball and football, considering the greatly reduced number of professional players and specialized positions. And as IGY pointed out they don't limit themselves to NBA players, so a ton of players you've never heard of are in there.

Sgt PSN

I know they are a basketball HOF rather than NBA, but everything else you said makes sense.  Not a lot of depth in the NBA due to such small numbers. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 04, 2011, 11:58:23 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 04, 2011, 08:13:28 PM
I don't really get Mullin getting the nod, but whatever.  I guess Steve Nash is the only cracker left as of today with a legit shot to get in.  

I'm sure Nowitzki will get in easily. The Basketball HOF isn't too picky about who gets in compared to baseball and football, considering the greatly reduced number of professional players and specialized positions. And as IGY pointed out they don't limit themselves to NBA players, so a ton of players you've never heard of are in there.

its not that there are players in the hall of fame who didnt play in the nba its that even some nba players who make it have their college careers taken into consideration...mullin while a really good nba player doesnt get in the hall without his incredible st johns career

and yes the bb hof isnt to discerning
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Taking Mullin's college career into consideration is my major beef with him getting in.  That's why they have a college basketball hof.   And there's practically no bar when it comes to measuring European players.  I don't say that because of Sabonis because he was a very good NBA player and in his younger days, one of the top Euro players.  Not to mention he was part of that initial wave of Euro players to the NBA so I think that carries a lot of weight too. 

ice grillin you

your beef isnt with mullin getting in (he def deserves it) its that a nba hall of fame doesnt exist

Sgt PSN

Nah, I'm cool with there being a "generic" basketball hall of fame.  I just don't think Mullin's pro-career warrants it.

DH

take this fwiw, but i have a real estate buddy showing deron williams an apt in nyc today..could be an indicator that he will be a net (or knick) longterm.

Sgt PSN

Unless the Knicks trade up, there's no way he falls that low in the draft. 

DH

Sgt PSN

The Knicks will be drafting in the bottom half, no?  Or did they pick up an early 1st round pick somewhere along the way that I don't know about?  

Brainfart.....I was thinking of Derrick Williams from Zona. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 05, 2011, 12:10:46 PM
Nah, I'm cool with there being a "generic" basketball hall of fame.  I just don't think Mullin's pro-career warrants it.

its not 'generic' if you are discounting his college career...the hof counts all your years of basketball

SunMo

tons of sarge fail in this thread
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 05, 2011, 12:19:41 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 05, 2011, 12:10:46 PM

its not 'generic' if you are discounting his college career...the hof counts all your years of basketball

What I'm saying is that there is already a new college hof that opened up a few years ago in KC that is there strictly to induct college players, coaches, teams, etc.  So why not make the Naismith HOF strictly a professional HOF that encompasses all pro-basketball, be it CBA, ABA, NBA, Euro, etc?