The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reese125

BigEd76

Remember when the All-Star dunk contest was worth watching?  Here's this year's lineup:

-- Nate Robinson
-- Gerald Wallace
-- Shannon Brown
-- the winner of a Rookie Game halftime dunk-off between Eric Gordon and DeMar DeRozan

MDS

its like theyre not even trying
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 18, 2010, 03:05:16 PM
Remember when the All-Star dunk contest was worth watching? 

not really.  it's been almost 20 years since one was watchable.

the dunk contest should have axed once wilkins and jordan stopped competing in it.  or at least when brent barry won it. 

regardless, there's no long term appeal to it because until there's some freak of nature who can start dunking from beyond the ark or do a flip in the air or something without the aid of a trampoline, then the contest is old and tired.  the dunks are old and tired.  the only difference now is apparently some players wear capes and spandex when they dunk.  i don't understand how that makes the dunk better.  but apparently it does.

PhillyPhreak54

Terrible.

NBA AS Weekend used to be a must watch. Now I'd rather go on vacation in Brownsville, Texas.

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 18, 2010, 09:53:01 PM
Now I'd rather go on vacation in Brownsville, Texas.

Sounds like a euphemism for taking a shtein.

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 18, 2010, 04:04:27 PM
Quote from: BigEd76 on January 18, 2010, 03:05:16 PM
Remember when the All-Star dunk contest was worth watching? 

not really.  it's been almost 20 years since one was watchable.

the dunk contest should have axed once wilkins and jordan stopped competing in it.  or at least when brent barry won it. 

regardless, there's no long term appeal to it because until there's some freak of nature who can start dunking from beyond the ark or do a flip in the air or something without the aid of a trampoline, then the contest is old and tired.  the dunks are old and tired.  the only difference now is apparently some players wear capes and spandex when they dunk.  i don't understand how that makes the dunk better.  but apparently it does.

Vince Carter in 2000 was great. That was the best dunking display of all-time.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 18, 2010, 09:53:01 PM
Terrible.

NBA AS Weekend used to be a must watch. Now I'd rather go on vacation in Brownsville, Texas.

slow your roll, homie

i aint got shtein yet
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

DH

VC was the best display of all time??? Um, no. That guy who wore #23 for the Bulls put on a pretty good show in the late 80's.

As did Nique, Larry Nance, Kobe and many others. Talk about hyperbole.

reese125

when it comes to revolutionizing the dunk in the contest--no doubt VC and Jason Richardson get my vote

Jordan and Nique did dunks you sometimes see standard in games today. go back to the youtube videos and watch Jordan vs Nique--and you'll see they were very unimpressive now compared to the 2 just mentioned

Sgt PSN

no no no no no. 

vc could jump out of the gym.  not arguing that at all and he's up there with the great dunkers.  but you got back to the mid/late 80s and there was 10+ guys in the league that could put on a show.  now you're lucky to get 1 guy every couple of years who can make it entertaining and show up with a couple nice dunks but that's it.  it's not even close to being a competition.  mj, nique, dr j, kenny "sky" walker, nance, cooper, clyde the glide, spudd webb, gerald wilkins, etc, etc.  not only could those cats fly, but it was a legit competition.  every single one of them wanted it, spent time practicing and coming up with new dunks and that made for a great show. 

when i watch it now, it literally looks like they picked a few dudes from the stands and told them to go dunk.  i'd actually prefer to watch wnba'ers do layup drills.   

reese125

sure they could put on a show because the competition was more popular than it is now and the fans didnt know any better...but as far as the wow factor VC and JRich exploded. I mean even Iggys dunk off the backboard was sick as hell and up there as an all-timer dunk.

between the legs, 360's would never even remotely be attempted..even by Jordan or Nique. Back then you had a leaner, reverses, two-handed tomahawks that got applauded when it was thrown down hard...cmon man..that couldnt be more beat to see now. even when I see Jordan take the one-foot above the free throw line dunk its unimpressive to me to now

I agree the event is boring as shtein now until something in-human happens...but Ill still watch.

Rome

Quote from: Die-Hard on January 19, 2010, 10:19:16 AMNique

Lifetime ban for shortening the name "Dominique."

Suicide for me knowing who you meant.

phattymatty

you're probably the only one who knew that except for every other person ever.

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05