The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

I was reading that shtein earlier...I dig Simmons too.

Did ya catch the nugget that Andre Miller is coming off the bench in Portland and is already salty?

reese125

I think Simmons was speculating there, but it was almost expected. they won 50+ games last year with their starting unit and are getting better

Im going to have to assume Miller is adjusting to the other players and the sets as of now, but it wouldnt surprise me to see him starting mid-season....hes a better playmaker than Blake.

ice grillin you

so it looks like michael beasleys rehab went well...

The photos were taken Oct. 10, after the NBA star and a female companion boarded a boat in Miami Beach during the Columbus Day Regatta. We called team officials for an explanation -- due to the fact that Beasley just emerged from a stint in substance-abuse rehab last month -- and boy did they give us one:

TMZ spoke with Miami Heat exec Tim Donovan, who told us it was all part of a "fishing trip arranged by the team ... Michael was not drinking at all ... except for water and purple Gatorade."

Donovan also claims Michael's counselor was with him on the trip and the woman sleeping next to him is just a friend.

So why was Beasley passed out?? Donovan says Beasley was simply tired from practice earlier that day and needed some shut eye.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

:-D :-D

All that's missing is Fred Smoot and Bryant McKinnie.

Sgt PSN

and micheal bennet and the wizzinator

PhillyPhreak54

The Clipper Curse continues;

Blake Griffin has a stress fracture in his patella, could miss up to 6 weeks.

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 27, 2009, 01:19:31 AM
The Clipper Curse continues;

Blake Griffin has a stress fracture in his patella, could miss up to 6 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/v/coCo5rIX0Ww&hl=en&fs=1&

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

brandon jennings had a hell of a debut last night....theres nothing more id love to see than him have a huge rookie year and stick it to the ncaa by showing people you dont have to go to college to make and be successful in the nba

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 31, 2009, 02:42:17 PM
brandon jennings had a hell of a debut last night....theres nothing more id love to see than him have a huge rookie year and stick it to the ncaa by showing people you dont have to go to college to make and be successful in the nba

you don't think darryl dawkins, moses malone, kobe, garnett or lebron have already proven that?  the rule isnt there to make those guys go to college as much it's to keep guys high schoolers with legit talent from washing out of the nba 2 or 3 years later.  guys like korleone young, johnathon bender, leon smith, desagana diop, ousmanne cisse, ndudi ebi, james lang and 16 of the 18 hs players drafted in 2004-2005 not named dwight howard or andrew bynum. 

all told, there's probably about a 10% success rate of high school players who go straight to the nba that last more than 5 years.  and it's probably right around 10% who become all star/super stars.  the other 80% are in and out of the league in about 3 years and are barely noticable during their tenure.

i don't really understand why anyone has a problem with the nba not wanting players right out of highschool. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 02, 2009, 08:31:49 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on October 31, 2009, 02:42:17 PM

you don't think darryl dawkins, moses malone, kobe, garnett or lebron have already proven that?  the rule isnt there to make those guys go to college as much it's to keep guys high schoolers with legit talent from washing out of the nba 2 or 3 years later.  guys like korleone young, johnathon bender, leon smith, desagana diop, ousmanne cisse, ndudi ebi, james lang and 16 of the 18 hs players drafted in 2004-2005 not named dwight howard or andrew bynum. 

all told, there's probably about a 10% success rate of high school players who go straight to the nba that last more than 5 years.  and it's probably right around 10% who become all star/super stars.  the other 80% are in and out of the league in about 3 years and are barely noticable during their tenure.

i don't really understand why anyone has a problem with the nba not wanting players right out of highschool. 

its not about the nba...its about the criminal organization known as the ncaa...and the more talent that goes elsewhere the better.....i would love more and more top talent to start going to europe and making money instead of fattening the pockets of the ncaa

anyway the argument that so many players flame out because they dont play college is one of the more overblown things ever...one year of college basketball is not making the difference in whether a guy becomes a successful nba player or not...are there certain players who would be helped sure...but overall if you can play you can play and if you cant you cant...tons of players in the nba draft flame out period...theres no correlation btwn when you come out and how successful youre in the league

what % of non high school kids that are eligible for the draft stay in the nba for 5 years?

Sgt PSN

true, the odds are against long term success in the nba regardless of whether or not you go to college, so i give you that.  although i do think that playing a year or 2 of college or in europe will increase your odds of being a productive nba player than if you go straight from hs.  and i have no problem with guys coming out of hs and playing in europe or any other non-nba league for a year or 2 either.  in fact, it's probably better for them instead of going to college since they continue to develope their game and body while making a little coin along with it. 

at the same time though, i have no problem with the nba not wanting kids right out of highschool.  the 1 year rule is a joke though and if they are going to impose a mandatory "wait period" for high schoolers, then they really should up it to 2 years because, as you said, what's 1 year really going to do for a kid?  in most cases, probably not much. 

ice grillin you

the rule is awful and unconstitutional imo...is there an argument that it makes the nba better i suppose altho i dont really buy into that as the nba is as good as its been in a long time

but to me its bigger than the nba and its quality of play....i just think a person has a right to make the best living he possibly can and this rule severely limits that...at the very least its age discrimination

Sgt PSN

plenty of jobs out there have age requirements.  granted, they're mostly the military, cops, firefighters, etc who perform life risking/life saving jobs, but there are also non-vital jobs out there with age requirments as well.  besides, as i've said many times before,  any job out there has certain requirements that potential applicants need to fill.  some have a degree requirement while others have a preference for experience.  i don't see how the nba should be required to be different.  if they want to set a minimum age, that's their business.  if they want to start requiring a 4 year degree, that's their business as well.  this whole "unconstitutional" argument is total bull. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 23, 2009, 11:28:05 PM
I was reading that shtein earlier...I dig Simmons too.

Did ya catch the nugget that Andre Miller is coming off the bench in Portland and is already salty?

iverson's not happy about coming off the bench in memphis either.  i was/still am an iverson fan but looking back, it appears that the sixers got rid of him at the right time because he really hasn't been the same since.  he's getting injured more, he's not as fast as he used to be and those were the 2 things that made him what he was.  now he's old and doesn't have the skill set to compensate for his declining athletic ability.