Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reese125

you want to make your car last you got to be religious about your oil changes--and cant chince on it. i have gotten mobile 1 for 10 years and that price seems a bit too high. you should be hovering around the $85-$90 mark.

ive gone to jiffy lube and have been fine. christ, you can stand there and watch them change it out underneath and under the hood if youre that concerned.

Seabiscuit36

I was told AmsOil synthetic is one of the best out there.  Especially for vehicles with over 70k miles. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Tomahawk

I'd never use a Fram oil filter

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on May 16, 2012, 11:27:33 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on May 16, 2012, 10:06:16 AM
i have a land rover but it will be going to my regular service station the second my coupons run out...hell if im paying 120 bucks for an oil change

not going to jiffy lube because they might farg shtein up is like not eating meat anymore cause you heard some horror stories about mad cow disease

The likely reason they are charging you $120 is because they are using a quality synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1. Most premier brands (BMW, MB, Land Rover, etc.) use Mobil 1 from the factory, and I wouldn't run traditional oil in them. Jiffy Lube will likely charge the same amount for a similar oil change. If you pay for the base oil change at Jiffy Lube, you are getting the chaeapest, lowest quality shtein imaginable. I use Mobil 1 and Fram products in all of my cars, and it usually costs me $25 per oil change, vice $100+ to have someone else do it with the same products. Also, the kid doing at Jiffy Lube generally has zero formal training, which is why service at such places can potentially void warranty coverage on certain makes (BMW, etc.).

i have no doubt all of that is true....and maybe one day one of my cars will blow up because i only pay 15 bucks for an oil change but every car ive ever had has hit 100K (i dont drive cars past this number)...when they start dying before that then maybe ill make a strategic change
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

reese125

Quote from: Tomahawk on May 16, 2012, 11:40:43 AM

get an amsoil filter than.

reese125

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 16, 2012, 11:42:31 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on May 16, 2012, 11:27:33 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on May 16, 2012, 10:06:16 AM
i have a land rover but it will be going to my regular service station the second my coupons run out...hell if im paying 120 bucks for an oil change

not going to jiffy lube because they might farg shtein up is like not eating meat anymore cause you heard some horror stories about mad cow disease

The likely reason they are charging you $120 is because they are using a quality synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1. Most premier brands (BMW, MB, Land Rover, etc.) use Mobil 1 from the factory, and I wouldn't run traditional oil in them. Jiffy Lube will likely charge the same amount for a similar oil change. If you pay for the base oil change at Jiffy Lube, you are getting the chaeapest, lowest quality shtein imaginable. I use Mobil 1 and Fram products in all of my cars, and it usually costs me $25 per oil change, vice $100+ to have someone else do it with the same products. Also, the kid doing at Jiffy Lube generally has zero formal training, which is why service at such places can potentially void warranty coverage on certain makes (BMW, etc.).

i have no doubt all of that is true....and maybe one day one of my cars will blow up because i only pay 15 bucks for an oil change but every car ive ever had has hit 100K (i dont drive cars past this number)...when they start dying before that then maybe ill make a strategic change

the theory of cars dying out at 100k is long gone buddy

ice grillin you

that is no concern of mine....i just dont drive old cars...once my car hits 100k i start shopping for a new one

reese125

dont understand that logic unless you love having car payments. i mean if you do that's cool or you just pop off a check/cash to the dealer for 40-50 grand on the spot no sweat.

Tomahawk

Quote from: reese125 on May 16, 2012, 11:46:26 AM
Quote from: Tomahawk on May 16, 2012, 11:40:43 AM

get an amsoil filter than.

A) Don't tell me what to do
2) I'll stick with AC Delco

ice grillin you

Quote from: reese125 on May 16, 2012, 12:08:51 PM
dont understand that logic unless you love having car payments. i mean if you do that's cool or you just pop off a check/cash to the dealer for 40-50 grand on the spot no sweat.

yeah money is not an issue...i also barely put mileage on my cars...two mile commute each day...so 100k might make my car ten years old...so when i get a new one i have already been on 5-6 years of no payments....i just like having a new(er) car if possible theres not much more too it

Sgt PSN

I've owned 4 cars in my life.  I bought my 98 4runner brand new and traded it in with about 190k on it in 2010.  Got the Tundra and drove it for 2 years and traded it in on the Sequoia that I just picked 2 months ago.  I plan on driving that thing into the ground like I did with my 4runner.  I would have driven the truck into the ground too but I just didn't end up like having a truck as much as I thought I would.

The 4th is the Mustang.   

SD

Having a truck with a bed sucks yet is awesome at the same time. It's awesome because you can toss whatever the hell you want in the back and haul it anywhere. It sucks because people know you have a truck and will ask you to help them move the most petty shtein.

Sgt PSN

Yeah, but I hardly ever needed the bed space, so it was just a waste. Not to mention that when I got the truck I didn't have a dog and the next year when we got another dog I hated having to put him in the back seat. And when we picked up a 2nd dog an SUV became a must have.  And that was fine with me. I loved my 4runner and the Sequoia is just like it but bigger.

phillymic2000

I agree on the fram filters, they suck. All three of my current vehicles have over 100k on them. our 05 Freestar has 133k (bought it with 33k almost 3 years ago, ahh country life) my 2008 mazda 6 wagon just topped 100k yesterday and my baby my 91 sierra with 196k on it, my favorite its got so many quirks, but i mainly use it in the winter to get to work in inclement weather, plow our street and to collect wood for our wood burner for the house. Our area has a ton of shag bark hickory and oak that burns so great!!

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: phillymic2000 on May 16, 2012, 05:17:24 PM
I agree on the fram filters, they suck. All three of my current vehicles have over 100k on them. our 05 Freestar has 133k (bought it with 33k almost 3 years ago, ahh country life) my 2008 mazda 6 wagon just topped 100k yesterday and my baby my 91 sierra with 196k on it, my favorite its got so many quirks, but i mainly use it in the winter to get to work in inclement weather, plow our street and to collect wood for our wood burner for the house. Our area has a ton of shag bark hickory and oak that burns so great!!

I'm pretty surprised to hear all the hate on the Fram products. Every shop I've ever worked in used them. They are pretty thorough in their testing and quality programs.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.