Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Quote from: Diomedes on August 11, 2010, 08:41:43 PM
I barely understand the basic parts of an engine and how they interact.   Nevermind the ignorance barrier, and also the fact that I'm not a natural mechanic by any stretch of imagination, in order to rebuild an engine you need time, and the will to apply yourself and actually get it done.

l lack in every one of these categories.

And we haven't even talked about money.

You don't really need to know the parts and how they interact unless you're trouble shooting a problem. Rebuilding an engine is just taking old junk off and replacing it with new junk (preferrably to make it go faster). In the process, you'll inadvertantly learn of a motor's components' interactions.

You don't need to be a natural mechanic...you just need to be literate and research the particular engine you're building. Time should be a non-issue as you can take as long as you want or need to do it and/or save money for parts (I'd guess Chevy 350s are the cheapest to do)

shorebird

If your scared, get a Chilton manuel for whatever vehicle your working on.

Tomahawk

Chilton and Haynes manuals suck compared to the actual shop manuals

So the Buick455(+.020 makes it 460cid) is running with no leaks or unusual sounds. The new cam sounds much more aggressive than the original but I think I should get some better mufflers. The car came with Trush mufflers which I hear flow good, but they're too quiet. Any suggestions? I hear Flowmasters suck

I need to get 500 miles on the engine stat....without getting into the pedal hardly at all it seems the cam, overbore, and going from the stock 8.5:1 (probably less after 35+ years) to ~9.25:1 CR, will make the Riv even more fun to drive.

After I get everything tuned (I think I might need bigger jets and/or smaller rods for the qjet) and broken in, I'll be sure to post a video of some tire shredding awesomeness

Sgt PSN

If you don't mind shelling out $$, then check out Borla.  www.borla.com

PhillyPhanInDC

I used a TA 3" kit on a 69 Skylark with a built 455 and Flowmaster two chamber mufflers. It sounded unbelievable, and won a few muffler raps.

Don't know where you heard that Flowmasters suck, but they are great. Some people hate on them because they are so prevalent, but for muscle cars, they're pretty much the de facto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bk1zJFgSDY
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

a neighbor told be flowmasters don't flow as well as other brands

PhillyPhanInDC

It depends on the type of Flowmasters. I used Bullets on a 700+HP Grand National and actually made more power than straight pipes. It all depends on the selection. For your application I'd go with three or two chambers, 40 or 50 series. I'd put good money on you making the same or less power with just about any other muffler, plus I'd also bet that the quality wouldn't be as good.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

you'll read about them being in an "accident" in the next few weeks
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

i was more thinking about being murdered by the oil people
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

shorebird

Quote from: Diomedes on August 19, 2010, 12:12:57 PM

This pic always make me think of the song' Good Times Bad Times.'

smeags

thinking about getting a project car to work on with junior. i have always been a big mopar fan and would love to get a cuda but thinking i may look for a '71 or '72 camaro or maybe a good ole nova.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Tomahawk

Unless you want to rebuild the engine with high performance parts, I wouldn't get anything past a '70. EPA started trying to make cars suck in '71 and full on succeeeded by 74 or 75