2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Okay, it's over. They lost.

Now what.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

2010:

C- Ruiz
1B- Choke
2B- Uts
SS- Young James
3B- ?
LF- Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul
CF- Hacktorino
RF- Werth

Bench- Dobbs
Bench- Francisco
Bench- Power
Bench- Middle Infielder
Bench- Catcher

SP- Lee
SP- Nicole
SP- Jay Aye
SP- ?
SP- ?
RP- Lidge
RP- Madson
RP- Romero
RP- Condrey
RP- ?
RP- ?
RP- ?

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Quote from: MDS on November 05, 2009, 12:18:35 AM
2010:

C- Ruiz
1B- Choke
2B- Uts
SS- Young James
3B- ?
CF- Hacktorino
RF- Werth

Bench- Dobbs
Bench- Francisco
Bench- Power
Bench- Middle Infielder
Bench- Catcher

SP- Lee
SP- Nicole
SP- Jay Aye
SP- ?
SP- ?
RP- Lidge
RP- Madson
RP- Romero
RP- Condrey
RP- ?
RP- ?
RP- ?

Is Pedro's contract up? They love his defense and despite him blowing ass at the plate in the playoffs, I don't think they'll off him just yet.

Wouldn't mind seeing Blanton come back as the 4th. Let one of the young guys like Drabek win the 5th spot. Doubt Myers will be back, but if he does come back, will it be to start again?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

LBIggle

2010:

C- Ruiz -  2009- $475k  2010- arb.
1B- Choke 2009- $15mil  2010- $19
2B- Uts 2009- $11.2mil 2010- $15.2
SS- Young James 2009- $8.5 mil 2010- same
3B- ?
LF- Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul  2009- $7.1mil 2010-$12.1
CF- Hacktorino 2009- $3.1   arb...
RF- Werth 2009- $2.5 mil 2010- $7.5

Bench- Dobbs 2009- $1.1mil 2010-$1.3
Bench- Francisco 2010- i'm pretty sure he's a FA
Bench- Power
Bench- Middle Infielder
Bench- Catcher

SP- Lee  $8 mil club option for next year.
SP- Nicole 2009- $4.3 mil 2010- a box of tampons.  ($6.6 mil).. thief
SP- Jay Aye 
SP- ? moyer 2009- $6.5mil 2010- $6.5 
SP- ?
RP- Lidge 2009- $12mil 2010- $12  fraud.
RP- Madson 2009- $2.3mil 2010- $4.8
RP- Romero 2009- $4.2mil 2010 $4.2
RP- Condrey 2009- $650k
RP- ?
RP- ?
RP- ?

they need to get rid of jamie.  maybe a trade for some bench or bullpen help.

they need to try and hold onto ho cheese and myers (on the cheap) and blanton.

a good amount of money is due in raises.  its going to be interesting to see who's going to be coming up and challenging for spots.

LBIggle

i forgot.. feliz is a club option.  i really hate that guy.

Don Ho

Feliz will be back.  As pissed as I am, he did have back surgery in the off season so maybe he'll be back to 100% next year.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

LBIggle

lol, he doesn't get much better then he was this year.. if at all.

Seabiscuit36

its that age old issue, his defense is great, and offense is streaky. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

i dont care how overpaid he is going to be get chone figgins put him at 3b and leadoff (move jimmy down in the order)

get the best OF bench player you can find because ibanez is done and is going to fall like a boulder starting next year...they are going to need someone to platoon with him if hes simply below average or take over for him if hes horrible

trade happ....his value will never be higher and while i dont think hs kyle kendrick im not sure hes a major league starting pitcher either and even if he is he certainly has a worth right now that far exceeds his potential

pray hamels gets it back

get charlie a sufficient right hand man ala jimy williams

throw wheels off the walt whitman
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phillycrew

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 05, 2009, 08:41:06 AM
i dont care how overpaid he is going to be get chone figgins put him at 3b and leadoff (move jimmy down in the order)

get the best OF bench player you can find because ibanez is done and is going to fall like a boulder starting next year...they are going to need someone to platoon with him if hes simply below average or take over for him if hes horrible

trade happ....his value will never be higher and while i dont think hs kyle kendrick im not sure hes a major league starting pitcher either and even if he is he certainly has a worth right now that far exceeds his potential

pray hamels gets it back

get charlie a sufficient right hand man ala jimy williams

throw wheels off the walt whitman

I totally agree about Raul.  This was his career year and is probably going to anchor.  I disagree about Happ.  He has some good stuff and I think he will continue to develop.  Let's see if Jamie can teach the kid.

Figgins can suck my left one.  Feliz is fine at third.  The Phils have much bigger issues with their pitching.

Drunkmasterflex

Why would they go out and get an outfielder? They have some talent on the farm that is pretty much ready to make the next step.  

The big thing next year is which Cole shows up.  If he is dominant like he was two years ago they have a legit shot to win it all.  If not it will end like this season or worse.  
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Drunkmasterflex

In fairness to Raul he was banged up for most of the second half.  Hard to really know how that abdominal tear affected his play. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Eaglez

I would like to see some bullpen help and a deeper bench.  I think their rotation is set for the most part.  I would imagine Blanton comes back, so it will be a fight for the 5th starter and maybe Drabek shows something in spring training. 

I don't know if they bring Myers back.  He's still a quality starter and some team will pay him starter's money.  Knowing him he would probably want to pitch out of the bullpen so he could contribute almost every day but I don't think he'll take a substantial pay decrease to do that. 

I'd imagine Feliz is back because I don't know who else they would get there.  I don't think that's a "break the bank" position for this team. 

And a lot of the bad money comes off the books for the Phils this off-season.  The only money that I see that is wasted is that they owe Moyer $7 million next year.  I'd imagine he may be done, and I'm not sure if I want to see them waste a 5th rotation spot on him.  And they can in no way trade him because not many teams are going to want a 47 (48?) year old pitcher who just ripped apart his groin.  Plus if he was traded I'd imagine he'd just retire -- I don't think he wants to play anywhere else. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on November 05, 2009, 09:33:02 AM
Why would they go out and get an outfielder? They have some talent on the farm that is pretty much ready to make the next step.  

all they have is michael taylor who is overrated imo....dominic brown is not ready

i wouldnt have a problem with taylor as strictly a bench player but they need a fourth outfielder that is guaranteed major league ready and is able to start as well as be there to strengthen the bench

one guy they could bring up next year that could really help the team is scott matheison...he seems all the way back from his TJ's had a really good year in the minors and is tearing up the fall league....he could be a very good and more importantly a in house addition to the pen
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

2010:

C- Ruiz
1B- Choke
2B- Uts
SS- Young James
3B- ?
CF- Hacktorino
RF- Werth

Bench- Dobbs
Bench- Francisco
Bench- Power
Bench- Middle Infielder
Bench- Catcher

SP- Lee
SP- Nicole
SP- Jay Aye
SP- ?
SP- ?
RP- Lidge
RP- Madson
RP- Romero
RP- Condrey
RP- ?
RP- ?
RP- ?

don't forget blanton in the starting rotation.  i believe the phils signed him to a long(er) term deal this offseason, no?  regardless, he was steady in the regular season and probably pitched better against the yanks than we thought he would given his career numbers vs that lineup.  he's a solid arm at the bottom of the rotation. 

what's the status on chan ho and eyre?  free agents?  is eyre going to retire?  i'd love to see chan ho back in the pen next year if he's willing to do it.  eyre was probably pitching above his ability this year but was really consistant throughout so i guess he can come back next year even though he'll probably suck. 

i hope drabek is ready to go because the phils need a strong right arm at the top of the rotation.  either that or call toronto and see if they're still interested in trading halliday for drabek, happ and his shteiny diapers. 

give cliff lee a blank check right now.  after his performance this year, if he follows it up next year with anything even close to that and gets to free agency then he'll be a yankee in 2011.