2006 Free Agent Tracker - Defense

Started by PhillyPhreak54, February 14, 2006, 10:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

DBs Cont.

4. Will Allen, CB, New York Giants [70 tackles, 0 INT]

If your team is looking for a cornerback, and they can't break the bank, then keep a close eye on this Syracuse alum when he matches up with Steve Smith in the first round of the playoffs. Listed at 5'10, 196, Allen plays bigger than he looks. Physical off the line of scrimmage, he has the requisite speed to keep up with a majority of the league's number one wideouts. His lack of interceptions this season are more a result of teams wanting to take a shot at rookie Corey Webster on the other side of the field. A former first rounder, Allen has been a mainstay in the Giants' secondary from day one. A consumate professional, he is consistent, and makes few mistakes over the course of a game. After being more of a gambler early on in his career, he has settled into the role of the team's primary corner, spending most of his time focused on minimizing the effect of the other team's star wideout. He would make a solid addition to any team looking for more consistent play on the outside.

GOOD FITS: Pittsburgh, Dallas, Denver, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Arizona

EARLY PICK: The first five teams on the list are all excellent places for Allen to consider. Strong franchises looking for a solid if unspectacular veteran presence to play opposite younger players (Colclough, Newman, Marlin Jackson, Rashean Mathis), except for in Denver, where Allen would be among the league's top #2 corners. In Minnesota, he would help in the rebuilding effort alongside Winfield, while Arizona would certainly look to him to be the number one guy while they bring first rounder Antrel Rolle along. In the end, however, the Giants are likely to pay whatever it takes to hold on to Allen. Outside of the linebacker position, the Giants have very few needs, and are certain to spend whatever money they have on keeping their top players in Giant blue.

5. Tank Williams, S, Tennessee Titans [78 tackles, 1 INT]

Williams moves to the top of a solid if unspectacular group of remaining free agents. An excellent athlete, Williams has become a solid contributer over the years despite the deterioration of the Titans on the field. Not much of a ball hawk, Williams is an excellent tackler and reads plays well, always there to meet a ball carrier once he reaches his particular zone. The antithesis of Archuleta, Williams is more cereberal and caluclating, lining up big hits rather than seeking them out. He would be a calming presence in a young secondary, and less expensive than the flashier Archuleta, while offering the bonus of being three years younger.

GOOD FITS: Oakland, NY Jets, New Orleans

EARLY PICK: The Raiders currently have terrible cap problems, but releasing Woodson and some other veterans may give Al Davis enough room to bring in a player such as Williams. A former Stanford player, he would bring a veteran presence to an extremely young secondary. If the money isnt there, teams like the Jets or the Saints may prove to be a better alternative. New Orleans especially as Williams is a Gulfport, MS native. In the end, Tennessee will be as active in signing Williams as any other team, and will likely be in the bidding with Oakland and New Orleans to the very end.

OTHER FREE AGENTS OF NOTE:

Ricky Manning, CB, Carolina (RFA): A bit undersized, the addition of Ken Lucas has moved Manning to the nickel spot, where he is better suited. If a team is willing to pay him a starting corner's salary, the Panthers may be loathe to match it. However, the likelihood of that happening is not very high.

Lance Shulters, S, Miami: Not the player he once was, he would still offer a low cost alternative for a team seriously lacking at the free safety position. However, Miami would be in serious trouble if they lost Schulters, and will definitely try and sign him before March, unless they plan on drafting his replacement. Might be on Washington's radar.

Jamar Fletcher, CB, San Diego: A fomer first rounder, Fletcher wore out his welcome in Miami with inconsistent play. However, as a nickelback in San Diego, he found a home. Not likely to be as valuable as a starting cornerback, he would be a spectacular addition to a team that already has a solid set of corners, like Baltimore, Atlanta or Washington.

Jerry Azumah, CB, Chicago: Will only leave if he can get a starting job elsewhere, after losing his spot in Chicago to Pro Bowler Nathan Vasher. If he can't find a starting job, Chicago will certainly bring him back as a nickelback, unless they do sign Archuleta and move Chris Harris to the nickel spot. Either way, Azumah will likely be a third corner somewhere, while also assuming kick return duties, where the former running back has been spectacular in the past.

Deion Sanders, CB/S, Baltimore: He's old, a step slower, and still tackles with the ferocity of the "Fallen, and I cant get up" -lady. But he can still read a route better than anyone, and in his new spot as a safety, could excel in an opportunistic defense focused on creating turnovers. However, he remains a liability against the run, and is probably nothing more than a specialty player akin to a situational lefty in baseball.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Apparently, none of these players are fits in Philly.

Feva

Why would any of them fit?  Didn't you watch this past season?  Our defense is impregnable!
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: FFatPatt on February 22, 2006, 11:26:03 PM
Apparently, none of these players are fits in Philly.

Ronald McKinnon is.

You know, a MLB. The one LB position where we don't need help. And he's an old guy at that so playing STs wouldn't be something he could do well.

PhillyPhanInDC

Vikings put transition tag on cornerback Williams

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings named cornerback Brian Williams as their transition player on Thursday, which prevents him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

By league rules, the Vikings must tender Williams a one-year qualifying offer at the average of the 10 highest-paid players at his position or 120 percent of his 2005 salary - whichever is greater. Williams will still be allowed to sign an offer sheet with another team, which Minnesota would have a week to match.

The NFL's deadline for designating franchise or transition players was Thursday.

Williams replaced an injured Fred Smoot, one of the Vikings' top free-agent signings last year, and started the last eight games. Williams played well enough to keep his spot when Smoot returned, relegating Smoot to the nickelback role.

A fourth-round draft pick out of North Carolina State in 2002, Williams has started 48 of a possible 66 games in his career. He had 11 passes defended and four interceptions last season.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

BigEd76

QuoteSteve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports the Oakland Raiders exercised a clause in SS Derrick Gibson's contract that voids the remainder of Gibson's contract and makes him an unrestricted free agent. Gibson was scheduled to make $10 million this season; a figure the Raiders had no intention of honoring. Therefore, Gibson's only realistic shot of sticking with the Raiders for a sixth season was if he agreed to a restructured contract.

QuoteDarren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports early indications from the contract talks between the Arizona Cardinals and free agent-to-be DT Russell Davis are that the sides remain far apart.

BigEd76

The Browns terminated the contract of DE Kenard Lang and waived CB Michael Lehan...

BigEd76

Beermonkey

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/13949122.htm

QuoteIndications are that the Eagles might be interested in soon-to-be Giants free-agent defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy, a solid starter with good quickness, but not a star...

PhillyPhreak54

Link

QuoteDefensive lineman Raheem Brock signed a five-year contract that makes sure one of the Indianapolis Colts' most versatile defenders stays off the free agent market.

Brock, who tied a career-high with 6 1/2 sacks last season, was set to become an unrestricted free agent March 3.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 24, 2006, 09:37:47 PM
Link

QuoteDefensive lineman Raheem Brock signed a five-year contract that makes sure one of the Indianapolis Colts' most versatile defenders stays off the free agent market.

Brock, who tied a career-high with 6 1/2 sacks last season, was set to become an unrestricted free agent March 3.

Man, the prices for Rocky, Randle-El, and Runyan have gone up considerably in the last week. Not good. I would have really liked to see Brock come back to Philly.

PhillyPhanInDC

From SI's rumor, so take it for what it's worth.....
The Eagles and several other teams would be interested in courting pass rushing defensive end John Abraham, designated a franchise player by the New Jets. Abraham wants out of New York.
-- Delaware County Times

PhillyPhreak54

Jints cut LB Barrett Green

Pats cut CB Duane Starks

PhillyPhanInDC

Colts hoping to win gamble on James
By Michael Marot, The Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS — Colts president Bill Polian is gambling with Edgerrin James. Yes, he wants the two-time rushing champ carrying the ball for Indianapolis next season, but as James prepares for free agency, Polian is hoping salary-cap restrictions will help keep James from leaving.
Still, Polian believes there is a "50-50" chance of James coming back to Indy. Polian hopes to increase his odds this week when he calls Drew Rosenhaus, James' agent.

"I'm going to talk to Drew this week and see where Edge is right now, so I'd say it's probably 50-50," Polian said. "But that's an uneducated guess because I haven't spoken with Drew."

The top backs expected to become free agents aside from James are MVP Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis, who helped lead Baltimore to a Super Bowl title.

Polian could have kept James by using the franchise tag on him for the second straight year after receiver Reggie Wayne agreed to a new six-year, $39 million contract. The Colts also signed defensive lineman Raheem Brock to a five-year deal Friday.

Instead, Polian, decided against using the tag, which would have increased James' salary next season to more than $10 million.

That means James, a four-time Pro Bowl choice, would be one of the most attractive free agents available when the market opens Friday.

"Reggie was priority No. 1, and Raheem was priority No. 2," Polian said. "Now we can turn our attention to Edgerrin and David Thornton and see what we can do."

Thornton, a starting linebacker, is one of 11 unrestricted free agents on the Colts' roster.

James has said he believes his tenure in Indianapolis is over. At the Super Bowl, he said he hoped to play for a team that wanted him.

James holds Colts' franchise records for attempts (2,188), yards (9,226) and touchdowns (64). Indianapolis has reached the playoffs six times in James' seven seasons, missing the postseason in 2001 when James sat out the final 10 games after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

While they want him back, it appears the Colts are preparing for life without James.

Polian and coach Tony Dungy both acknowledged they would be looking closely at the top running backs in this year's draft for a possible replacement. Dungy also suggested signing a free agent was an option.

"There's a lot of guys that can run and do well," Dungy said. "But with so many checks at the line of scrimmage and not knowing what play you're going to run and still respond, that's what you don't know."

James has been a key blocker and receiver for two-time MVP Peyton Manning.

But James might not be the only Pro Bowl player leaving Indy.

Polian said it was likely Mike Vanderjagt, the NFL's most accurate kicker, would sign with another team. Vanderjagt missed a 46-yard field goal in January's playoff game against Pittsburgh that cost the Colts a chance to force overtime.

"He'll probably elect to go somewhere else, so that's probably a position we'll have to fill," Polian said.

He said Vanderjagt's replacement may already be on the roster. Indy recently re-signed kicker Dave Rayner, a sixth-round draft pick last year who was cut late in the season because of his poor kickoffs.

The other big names on the Colts' free agent list are Thornton and defensive tackle Larry Tripplett, a second-round pick in 2002 who had his best season as pro in 2005.

But most of the talk has been about James. Polian and Dungy hope their gamble pays off.