2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

:-D

Thats crazy because right after the game he was on TBs nuts.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 20, 2008, 09:27:16 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 20, 2008, 09:25:20 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on October 20, 2008, 05:54:47 AM
steve phillips and krukie (of course) both pick the phils

Phillips is picking TB.

unless he changed in the last 12 hours thats a negative chief...watch todays sportscenter...or the recorded one from last night...he has the phils becaus eof their bullpen

I didn't see the one where he made a pick, but on ESPN.com he goes on and on with Kruk about how he thought the bullpen would be a big advantage for the Phillies, but because of the "emergence" of Price, it's not anymore.

ice grillin you

probably should check out the one where he makes a pick
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

I hope they all pick the Rays.  I wouldn't care if everyone in the country outside of the Phillies' clubhouse thought the Rays were going to win.

COME TO PAPA

rjs246

Am I reading this right? Phillies fans actually picking them to win the World Series. You should all know better by now. Stay negative or you'll end up crushed.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on October 20, 2008, 09:50:52 AM
Am I reading this right? Phillies fans actually picking them to win the World Series. You should all know better by now. Stay negative or you'll end up crushed.

listen to this guy

and ff doesnt count as a phillies fan

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 20, 2008, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on October 20, 2008, 09:50:52 AM

listen to this guy

and ff doesnt count as a phillies fan

Ain't nobody gonna break-a my stride, ain't nobody gonna hold me down.  Oh no.  I've got to keep on movin'.

ice grillin you

the way i see it is your want them to win and would be happy if they did but you wouldnt care if they lost either which is why youre able to proclaim victory for them so confidently

rjs246

For the record I'm excited that the Phillies are in. My old man is freaking out and they were the second team I ever followed obsessively (after the Nittany Lions), but even I am smart enough to know that I shouldn't get my hopes up.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

BigEd76

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 20, 2008, 05:39:41 AM
i was reading last night the only player from either team that has a world series at bat is so taguchi

experience FTW!!

Feliz had several ABs in 2002 and Eric Hinske (TB) had an AB last year for the Red Sox.  Taguchi is the only one on the Phillies that won a ring.  (Romero received a ring from last year's Red Sox but he doesn't acknowledge it.)  Some of the pitchers have also been on World Series teams before...

Seanez = 1999 (Atlanta)
Eyre = 2002 (San Francisco)
Lidge = 2005 (Houston)
Durbin = 2006 (Detroit)

Percival = 2002 (Anaheim)
Wheeler = 2005 (Houston)

ice grillin you

Seabiscuit36

I fully believe the Phillies will lose, and probably get swept, its the Philly way.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

More Obnoxiousness Awaits, Says Ex-Philly, Boston Resident
By HOWARD ALTMAN | The Tampa Tribune

Published: October 20, 2008

TAMPA - Goodbye, obnoxious Red Sox fans.

Hello, obnoxious Phillies fans.

Twin brats of different dysfunctional mothers, the fanatics of Boston and Philadelphia come to the same place of extreme obnoxiousity from opposite roads.

This much I know from having lived in both places and having rooted against both home teams.

Believe me, as a New York Mets fan. I know obnoxious.

Boston Obnoxious

Boston fans have a haughty air of superiority that belies 86 years of "No, No, Nanette"-induced futility only recently replaced by the jinx-busted aura of invincibility.

Bostonians call their home The Hub. As in the Hub of the universe. As in the center of all things and the best place on Earth.

I lived there for several years in the 1980s and know this much: They really believe that Hub stuff and have since before the American Revolution.

Such long-lasting mass delusion of grandeur is hard to shake off.

Some of my best and oldest friends suffer from this syndrome. Which brings me to my good friend and former colleague Scotty Farmelant, with whom I have traded baseball guff for more than a decade.

I received this message via Facebook after the Rays blew Game 5 of the American League Championship Series.

"Sox motto: Never say die.

"Rays motto: Don't look now, but your manager threw away your momentum with the dumbest managing this side of Grady Little. Can you spell 'C-H-O-K-E'? I can: T-A-M-P-A!"

I just rolled my eyes.

Farmy is a Red Sox fan. It's in his blood.

He couldn't help himself if he wanted to.

Which, of course, he didn't.

When the Sox tied the best-of-seven series at three, I received this missive:

"Howie, Howie, do you believe? It's sad that the Rays fans are learning what it's like to be a baseball fan in such tramautic [sic] fashion. Joe Maddon says Game 5 has nothing to do with anything. Sure. And Japan had nothing to do with Pearl Harbor. Mark my words, the Rays are cooked."

Farmy, consider your words, and the Rays travel plans to Philly, marked.

Philadelphia Obnoxious

So here come the Philly fans.

Another obnoxious lot.

Whom I love with all my heart.

I spent 12 of my favorite years in the City of Brotherly Love (and Sisterly Affection) as an editor and columnist. Some of the finest people I ever met live in that town.

Even if some of them are obnoxious.

But unlike Boston fans, there is no haughty air about Philadelphia.

There is only the stench of an inferiority complex, dating back to its Revolutionary sibling rivalry with Boston and exacerbated from being in the shadow of New York to the north and Washington to the south.

And unlike Boston fans, Philadelphia fans don't think they, or their city, is the best place on Earth. Or even a very good place at all. Even though it's one of the nation's best cities.

Philly fans hate everyone and everything, but nothing as much as themselves.

They even pelted Santa with snowballs.

So fierce is the game-day passion of Philadelphia fans that a special court had to be set up just to deal with the brawling inebriates at Eagles' games.

And Flyers fans — who, like Eagles' fans, share a love/hate of the Phillies — recently booed Gov. Sarah Palin off the ice.

This is what you will see, Rays fans, as Phillies fans begin to deplane and invade the Tampa Bay area.

Boozing, brawling, self-hating maniacs, clad in red and screaming allegiance, however fleeting, to their beloved "Fluffya."

Before you look down on Phillies fans though, consider this.

It was only weeks ago that there were more empty seats than filled ones at the indoor mall otherwise known as the Trop.

The longest-suffering Rays fans have been waiting a mere decade to see their team in the World Series.

The Phillies haven't been there since 1993.

They haven't won it since 1980.

And they lost more than 10,000 games since the team was created in 1883, a record of futility even Rays fans cannot comprehend.

So good riddance Boston fans, and bring on the Phils.

Ring all the cowbells you want, Rays fans.

Crop your hair in Rayhawks and scream yourselves hoarse.

You have a long way to go before you can truly call yourself obnoxious.

Editor Howard Altman can be reached at (813) 259-7629.

BigEd76

Geowhizzer

Quote from: BigEd76 on October 20, 2008, 10:59:37 AM
oh look, another Santa reference

What's the over/under on Santa references in the next 10 days?

I'd put it at around 750.  I'm probably low.