2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

just beyond idiotic why he cant start saturday. it gives him 6 days off between starts and lets him go on normal rest for that thursday game in new york. douches.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mussa

there was alot of cursing going on throughout the HR derby. Prob more than some south park and family guy episodes.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

BigEd76

Saturday/Thursday would be two day games for Cole, where he's around .500 and has an ERA over 4.  It's a stupid excuse, but that could be part of their thinking besides the rest thing.  I hated that he missed last week's series and now he's going to miss both...

Rome

So we're sitting here watching the warm up to the All Star Game, and they show George Steinbrenner riding into the stadium in his golf cart.  My eight year-old turns to me and says, "you know, they can shoot a president, why can't they just shoot him?"

:-D

Sometimes kids just "know" about things.

PoopyfaceMcGee

The force is strong in her, indeed.  Hell, she'll be old enough for Sarge in only 3 or 4 years!

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 15, 2008, 05:15:53 PM
Saturday/Thursday would be two day games for Cole, where he's around .500 and has an ERA over 4.  It's a stupid excuse, but that could be part of their thinking besides the rest thing.  I hated that he missed last week's series and now he's going to miss both...

huh?

friday/wed would be two night games
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

myers pitches friday in clearwater then joins the team in miami and starts on wednesday. id assume that makes happ the tuesday starter.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

Hamels just pitched on Sunday and they didn't want to use him on Friday.

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 16, 2008, 10:50:09 AM
Hamels just pitched on Sunday and they didn't want to use him on Friday.

this is what i intially brought up and you responded with day games being why they are sitting him not because they wanna given him a seven day rest

regardless if they wanna do that then wait till the washington series....why the hell would you sit your ace against the mets

PoopyfaceMcGee

Seabiscuit36

fwiw, Phils are in talks with the A's for Joe Blanton.  Apparently it will not involve any of the top prospects.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/blantjo01.shtml
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Wingspan

He's better than his record shows...still isn't the "answer" but he'd shore the back of the rotation. I'd take him as long as you're not giving up a ton for him.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

hes a michelin man looking whale...cant wait to see this lard assed sweatbox in the august heat

MDS

id rather go for broke and get holliday then some mediocre pitcher who will be a slight improvement over ja happ

SD_Eagle5

Lovely
QuoteThursday, July 17, 2008
Phillies Get Blanton
The Phillies hope Joe Blanton can help their rotation for the stretch run much like Jamie Moyer helped them in 2006 and Kyle Lohse helped them in 2007.

They just acquired the righthander from the Oakland Athletics today in a trade for minor-league prospects Adrian Cardenas, Josh Outman and Matt Spencer. Blanton, 27, is just 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA this season, but the Phillies certainly seem to think he's an upgrade over what they have.

With Brett Myers expected to return to the rotation next Wednesday against the New York Mets at Shea Stadium, that could signal Adam Eaton's move to the bullpen. Eaton is 1-4 with a 9.64 ERA in his last five starts.

Why Blanton? For a few reasons. Take away his four worst starts this season and he has a 3.58 ERA, which is more than respectable in the American League. He went 16-12 in 2006 and 14-10 in 2007, so he has a winning track record. He also has thrown more than 194 innings each of the past three seasons, which makes him an "innings eater." But he's also intriguing because he can't become a free agent until after the 2010 season.

More to come ...

Same crap as in the past. They needed a 1/2 but they end up with a 4/5. If this is the pitching upgrade - and I'm pretty sure it is - no way they're able to make a run this season.