Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

I'm reading God Save the Fan and it is farging outstanding. It BADLY need an editor though. At one point the author refers to the Pittsburgh/Carolina superbowl of 2006... which, of course, never happened.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

rjs246

Cut me a break. My editor is on vacation.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Liar.  We're all editors around here. 

rjs246

Quote from: rjs246 on May 20, 2008, 02:24:20 PM
I'm reading God Save the Fan and it is farging outstanding. It BADLY needs an editor though. At one point the author refers to the Pittsburgh/Carolina superbowl of 2006... which, of course, never happened.

Finished. The first 1/3 and the last 1/4 of the book were fantastic. The middle lagged and got a little preachy. Definitely recommended, though. He does a good job of communicating the rising level of frustration among fans and is pretty funny to boot.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

So I finally got around to reading All the Pretty Horses...I can't say that I liked it all that much. There just wasn't much going on, I didnt see the point of the two even setting off to go to mexico.

I actually enjoyed the last 40-50 pages of the book and made up for the first 3/4 of it, and brought some closure to the story.

And while I realize that it was to add realism, the misuse of punctuation, and the use of spanish with no translation, really bugged me and detracted from the story, big time.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

I normally read 2 to 3 books a month, and this one took me 4 weeks to get though.

I've never had to re-read so many sections to make sure I could follow along with who was saying what. And if it was even dialogue at all. It could have been a brilliant story (it wasn't) but it's hard to see when it's almost a chore to read the damn thing.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

rjs246

I read All the Pretty Horses in less than 3 days.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

phattymatty

i'm with wing, i've read two of his books and can't seem to get on the mccarthy bandwagon.  i didn't necessarily think the two i read (the road and no country) were hard to follow, but rather they were both kind of pointless.  especially the road, what a piece of shtein that was.

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

All the Pretty Horses took me sometime to get into myself....the Crossing took even longer. The endings though on both books keep you glued. I'm excited to read the final, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm more excited to read his recent titles, but I'm trying to read them in order somewhat
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Phanatic

The road made me cry so I hate it...
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Wingspan

Quote from: mussa on June 11, 2008, 01:32:37 PM
All the Pretty Horses took me sometime to get into myself....the Crossing took even longer. The endings though on both books keep you glued. I'm excited to read the final, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm more excited to read his recent titles, but I'm trying to read them in order somewhat

Obscure Link
Connection Problems