Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

I think it was actually 'breathtaking' but yes.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

I was referring to your review.  I do agree that McCarthy's prose is breathtaking, though.

MadMarchHare

I just finished The Road last night, and I'm still horribly disturbed by the ending.  I have a 5 year old boy, and completely related to the father (and am cynical enough to relate to the situation too).  And I'm still not quite able to deal with the ending, and it's implications.
Anyone but Reid.

MURP

I also just finished Gates of Fire and I agree with RJS.   Good story that got bogged down at times.   I thought the info about them training was awesome.   Go farg a tree!!

Phanatic

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on April 10, 2007, 02:42:43 AM
I'm about halfway through The Alienist by Caleb Carr.  It's really a very good serial killer book for anyone who is interested in that type of thing.

I read that book and thought it was very good. A historical view of NY with a twist of horror.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

phattymatty

McCarthy won the Pulitzer yesterday for The Road.

I bought it a few days ago to read on a flight but ended up sleeping most of the way.  Will definitely finish it soon.

rjs246

It's a quick read, which is much different than Blood Meridian, but holy god was it good. It's almost depressing how good he is at writing.

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

picked up All The Pretty Horses, By McCarthy for my trip. was surprised how small the book was and almost bought the 2nd book, but thought i better try this one out before i go and do that. sounds like a good book, excited to start it  :yay
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PoopyfaceMcGee

I did finish John Hodgman's "The Areas of My Expertise" a few weeks ago.  It's mildly amusing to read all the way through, but as it's a faux almanac, it's probably better suited for reading a few sections while on the crapper.

I admit I didn't get through all 700 hobo names yet.

Went to the library today and picked up "All the Pretty Horses", "Child of God", and "The Crossing" since all you people can't stop gushing about McCarthy.  Found out my wife has actually read both of the first two.  Anyway, I'd planned on starting with "Pretty Horses", since it's basically his first highly-acclaimed novel.  Which one should I read after that?

Also, according to his IMDB page, "No Country for Old Men" has already finished filming.  The Coen brothers made it, with Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and Woody Harrelson.  Apparently, "Blood Meridian" will be made with Ridley Scott directing and the screenplay adapted by William Monahan (won an Oscar for "The Departed").

phattymatty

finished The Road yesterday and apparently am in the minority because I don't see why it's so great. 

i enjoyed No Country for Old Men much more.

mussa

Quote from: FastFreddie on April 21, 2007, 01:18:23 PM
I did finish John Hodgman's "The Areas of My Expertise" a few weeks ago.  It's mildly amusing to read all the way through, but as it's a faux almanac, it's probably better suited for reading a few sections while on the crapper.

I admit I didn't get through all 700 hobo names yet.

Went to the library today and picked up "All the Pretty Horses", "Child of God", and "The Crossing" since all you people can't stop gushing about McCarthy.  Found out my wife has actually read both of the first two.  Anyway, I'd planned on starting with "Pretty Horses", since it's basically his first highly-acclaimed novel.  Which one should I read after that?

Also, according to his IMDB page, "No Country for Old Men" has already finished filming.  The Coen brothers made it, with Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and Woody Harrelson.  Apparently, "Blood Meridian" will be made with Ridley Scott directing and the screenplay adapted by William Monahan (won an Oscar for "The Departed").

well since All the Pretty Horses is book 1 in a trilogy. then i'd say go for book number 2...

^-^
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

rjs246

Quote from: phattymatty on April 30, 2007, 01:38:37 PM
finished The Road yesterday and apparently am in the minority because I don't see why it's so great. 

I've been waiting for someone to say that. I knew there had to be someone out there who would read it and think, meh. I think you're nuts, but I figured there had to be someone who wasn't blown away by it.

I read Fahrenheit 451 last week for the first time. The first 50 pages were so well written and the message of the book is so important that those two points more than made up for the silliness of some of the sci fi details of the story. Read it.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: rjs246 on April 30, 2007, 02:39:38 PM
Quote from: phattymatty on April 30, 2007, 01:38:37 PM

I've been waiting for someone to say that. I knew there had to be someone out there who would read it and think, meh. I think you're nuts, but I figured there had to be someone who wasn't blown away by it.

I read Fahrenheit 451 last week for the first time. The first 50 pages were so well written and the message of the book is so important that those two points more than made up for the silliness of some of the sci fi details of the story. Read it.
Gotta love Catholic school.  We had to read that book 3 separate times.  5th, 8th, 10th grades. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

phattymatty

Quote from: rjs246 on April 30, 2007, 02:39:38 PM

I'm not sure I'd even put it on my top 5 of just this year alone.  i thought it was really drawn out, repeating the same things over and over.  i can't believe it won the pulitzer.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Now you're just baiting rjs.  Let's see how this turns out.