Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

there's a book fair in my lobby, it feels like santa's workshop.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I plan to read "Life of Pi" this summer.  You all care.

mussa

Bought "Shooter" today.  Auto-biography of the top ranked marine sniper.  Sounds like an interesting read.  Anyone read this?
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Wingspan

i just finished The Nymphos of Rocky Flats...it's written by an ex soldier about an iraqi war vet who kills an innocent family, and in turn of events comes home a vampire...

it was very good, i flew through it...i was surprised how compelling of a story it was.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Yeti

Into the Wild.  True story about a kid from a rich family who decided to go into the wilderness to live.  He died.  Dumbass.

I'll pick up Cell next, didn't know King had a new one out.
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

MURP

mussa

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on May 31, 2006, 12:10:01 PM
Quote from: mussa on May 30, 2006, 04:11:44 PM
Bought "Shooter" today. Auto-biography of the top ranked marine sniper. Sounds like an interesting read. Anyone read this?

Shooter is good, if you like those kinds of books, check out this one too. Hathcock was a farging bad ass.

There is mention of Hathcock in the beginning of the book. 
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

phattymatty

In the last couple week I just finished reading Interpreter of Maladies and The Book of Illusions.  Both pretty good reads.

Maladies is a collection of 10-12 short stories all about Indian life.  Some funny, some depressing, but overall pretty good. 

Illusions starts out pretty slow, but gets much better as it goes along.  About this professor who has some very bad things happen to him in life, then becomes obsessed with some silent film actor from the 30s and ends up becoming an expert on the guys works and it takes him on a very weird path.  Definitely a little too long, but not bad.  Some people will definitely have a hard time finishing this one though.

Wingspan

Quote from: phattymatty on June 12, 2006, 03:52:09 PM
The Book of Illusions

i just read 1st paul auster book in about 10 years or so, i read Timbukto i really liked it...and i have Book of Illusions to read later this summer.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

i just finished that if football is a religion why does god hate the eagles or whatever its called by jere longeman...and it just might be the worst book ive ever read
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

I finally finished Life of Pi. It was great. The ending was meh, but the story was fairly amazing and the author keeps your attention in spite of the completely unrealistic nature of the events. Definitely recommended.

Next up, Blood Meridian.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Philly_Crew

1776 - Interesting but I wouldn't say it is a must read.  A friend recommended Richest Man in Babylon, anyone read it?

phattymatty

Quote from: rjs246 on September 14, 2006, 08:14:58 AM
I finally finished Life of Pi.

Yeah one of my favorites of the last few years.

I read a lot over the spring/summer, and then rarely touch a book during football seaon.