Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

I'm disturbed that Oprah is the topic of discussion in here.

All of you should chop off your fingers. NOW!

mussa

Reading Stephen King's new book, The Cell.  So far it is awesome.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Wingspan

the nerd in me decided to read this....havent read one of these since high school.

got to say, i enjoyed it. shutting up now.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Wingspan on March 17, 2006, 12:44:26 PM
the nerd in me decided to read this....havent read one of these since high school.

I read it, wasn't bad. Filled in the gaps nicely, I like how they give you a glimpse into Vaders mind. Luceno is a good writer.

Wingspan

Quote from: SD_Eagle on March 17, 2006, 12:58:04 PM
Quote from: Wingspan on March 17, 2006, 12:44:26 PM

I read it, wasn't bad. Filled in the gaps nicely, I like how they give you a glimpse into Vaders mind. Luceno is a good writer.

it was written well...while i'm in nerd mode, is his prequel to ROTS worth it? (Labyrinth of Evil)
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SD_Eagle5

Labyrinth of Evil was his best book IMO. Well worth the read, will explain a lot of stuff about Dooku and Greivous that you might not understand. Even better written than 'The Rise of Vader'.

Wingspan

Quote from: SD_Eagle on March 17, 2006, 01:03:26 PM
Labyrinth of Evil was his best book IMO. Well worth the read, will explain a lot of stuff about Dooku and Greivous that you might not understand. Even better written than 'The Rise of Vader'.

until this, i hadnt read a star wars novel since high school (when i read the Thrawn trilogy)...so this was kinda fun.  may have to check out Labyrinth of Evil...might as well.

in my nerd discussion with a few friends, i thought greivous was a rebuilt darth maul.  (testing the vader transformation, ala vader testing the carbon freezing on solo).
Connection Problems

phattymatty

just finished Life of Pi, awesome book.  don't want to ruin it if you haven't read it but i suggest you buy a copy, it's great.

or if ayone has read it, there are a few things i'm curious as to what others think.

rjs246

I just finished The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini. Fantastic book. Not exactly a feel good story, but extremely interesting and well written. Wonderful characters. Nearly impossible to put down and especially interesting for anyone (like me) who didn't know the first thing about Afghanistan outside of the fact that bin Laden hails from there and that some ex-NFLer died in combat there.

Phatty, the ladyfriend really liked Life of Pi too. I think the Atlanta Hippy read and liked it too. I've never gotten around to reading it. I'll put it on the list.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

Cell- Stephen King. Good read, not his best book. Really cool concept.  Begining was awesome and really intense and then it kind of trailed off as you got to the end.  If you like King, read it, if not, its not going to change your mind about him.
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

phattymatty

Quote from: rjs246 on March 26, 2006, 04:57:22 PM
I just finished The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini. Fantastic book. Not exactly a feel good story, but extremely interesting and well written. Wonderful characters. Nearly impossible to put down and especially interesting for anyone (like me) who didn't know the first thing about Afghanistan outside of the fact that bin Laden hails from there and that some ex-NFLer died in combat there.

Phatty, the ladyfriend really liked Life of Pi too. I think the Atlanta Hippy read and liked it too. I've never gotten around to reading it. I'll put it on the list.

Nice, I read the Kite Runner a few months ago when I went to the dominican republic.  one of my favorites that i've read in a while.

rjs246

Quote from: mussa on March 26, 2006, 05:14:45 PM
Cell- Stephen King. Good read, not his best book. Really cool concept. Begining was awesome and really intense and then it kind of trailed off as you got to the end. If you like King, read it, if not, its not going to change your mind about him.

Cell and Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk are next on my list... followed by Life of Pi, now.

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

I read Choke, I'll have to pick another of Chuck P's books next.  I am about finished with Slaughter House 5.

rjs246

Quote from: mussa on March 26, 2006, 05:44:11 PM
I read Choke, I'll have to pick another of Chuck P's books next. I am about finished with Slaughter House 5.

I liked Choke. The only other Palahniuk book I've read. He's got some sick shtein going on in his head, but it makes for good reading.

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

I've read all of Palahniuk's books, and they're all good but yes, dude has some problems.  invisible monsters is actually one of his more disturbing, if not the most.