Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philly_Crew

Quote from: Fan_Since_64 on December 31, 2005, 11:23:46 AM
Okay, last day of the year and it's time for me to update this thread with what I've been reading since summer, starting with.....

[
Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity, by Bruce Bawer - Okay, a real digression from the titles above! But in many ways, this was the most significant book I read all year. Bawer writes from the perspective of a liberal (excuse me, non-legalistic) Episcopalian. His impressive research is thought provoking as well as extremely informative. The book holds together well, and for those of us who are neither atheist nor doctrinaire in our concept of God, it is deeply affirming. If you don't think much of religion, you will get plenty of ammo from this book to back you up. If you are a believer but deeply disturbed by the aggressiveness and influence of the Religious Right, you will get plenty of ammo, too. If you just want to learn something about what lies behind some of the debates that have made the news in recent years, you will find this book quite helpful, too. Bawer has written something impressive and important, but your own viewpoint will determine what you take from this book.

I took your recommendation and read this book.  Definitely made me think, even as what he would call an evangelical.  You know right away that he has an agenda when he identifies himself as gay on the first page.  Also, denying the resurrection, divinity of Christ and other beliefs, it would be hard to identify him as christian.  I always enjoy different perspectives and thought his was thought provoking.

rjs246

I finished Ugly Americans last week. Same dude who wrote Bringing Down the House. He's carved out a good niche for himself, writing novels about unique/shady ways that young smart people have gotten rich.

It took me two days to read it. Interesting story. Won't win any awards but a great way to pass the time.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

Just read Ghost Wars by Steve Coll.  Excellant book about CIA's ivolvement from Russian invasion in Afganhistan to September 11th.  No bias, just facts and top secret info that was released.  shocking, and stunning and idiotic on our own part. 

Prob start reading Slaughter House 5, I bought it awhile back.  I want to get Stephen Kings new book, Cell.  Sounds awesome. 
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

my toilet book right now is Hang Tough Paul Mather.  it's about 85 pages and is a 4th grade reading level.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I would like to find the time to read Tucker Max's book, "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell".

But I don't want to buy it.

ice grillin you

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.  But I don't want to buy it.

that particular book is going for 8-9 bucks right now but in general half.com is incredible for books and cds at discounted prices...books many times go for a buck or two

i think a third of my cd collection has come from it...including many almost impossible to find albums
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

I refuse to give Tucker Max any of my money. While I find his site and his exploits to be ratehr hilarious, you might as well take my life and the life of my friends for the 8 years between 1997 and 2004 and replace his name with any of ours. He was just ego-maniacal enough to post his drunken assholiness on a web site for the world to see.

Drunken-dickfore-who-is-rude-to-strangers, picks-up-broads-only-to-perform-random-and-degrading acts-with-them, says-witty-things, goes-on-road-trips-with-the-sole-intention-of-getting-drunk and publicly-makes-an-ass-of-himself is my middle name, and the middle name of most of the people I am friends with. We were just too lazy to let the world (outside of general shouting distance) know about it. I hate him. And love him. But mostly hate him.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

I'm about halfway through Demons and Angels.  It's written by Dan Brown, the same dude who wrote The DaVinci Code

So far it's a very good book but pales in comparison to The DaVinci Code.  DaVinci Code was teh awesum. 

Wingspan

it's Angels and Demons.

tard.

and it's better than the DaVinci code, ya housewife.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I read somewhere that Dan Brown's made just an absolutely obscene amount of money from The DaVinci Code.

Hundreds and hundreds of millions.

I need to learn how to write good well.

rjs246

Actually, they are the exact same book. Same story formula. Same archetypal characters. Same suspense-filled plot twists. Blah blah blah. But you are a housewife.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Wingspan on February 01, 2006, 05:31:16 PM
it's Angels and Demons.

tard.

and it's better than the DaVinci code, ya housewife.

Whatever.  I spend my team reading the book, not the cover. 

Quote from: FFatPatt on February 01, 2006, 05:34:10 PM
I read somewhere that Dan Brown's made just an absolutely obscene amount of money from The DaVinci Code.

Hundreds and hundreds of millions.

I need to learn how to write good well.

Yeah, he made a killing with that book.  He's already sold the movie rights to it and it should be out this year I beleive.  Last I heard, Tom Hanks had the lead role. 

Quote from: rjs246 on February 01, 2006, 05:37:28 PM
Actually, they are the exact same book. Same story formula. Same archetypal characters. Same suspense-filled plot twists. Blah blah blah. But you are a housewife.

They are very similar because they're both based on religion and secret societies, etc.  But I think that DaVinci Code is a little more "believable" I guess you could say. 

I haven't finished Angles and Demons or Demons and Angels yet so I still can't fully pass judgement on it yet.  But so far, I prefer DaVinci. 

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 01, 2006, 05:42:05 PM
Yeah, he made a killing with that book.  He's already sold the movie rights to it and it should be out this year I beleive.  Last I heard, Tom Hanks had the lead role. 

Yep, and Ron Howard's directing it.