Around the NFL - Week 17: NE/NYG simulcast on 3 stations

Started by BigEd76, December 26, 2007, 05:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Major news:  CBS and NBC will simulcast the NFL Network feed on Saturday night.  It's the first 3-station simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast since Super Bowl I.

NFL.com link

QB Eagles

I didn't expect this at all, but it's a good deal for the NFL. The only problem is that once viewers hear Gumbel they're going to decide they don't want the NFL Network.

MDS

you mean to tell me the nfl and the big networks put the stupid bickering aside and did whats best for the fans? farg me.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

i wouldnt say the nfl network put anything aside...this is brilliant on their part...now they get free advertising of their channel on two network stations at one time...its a no brainer for them
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

what they want is to be on regular cable and this isnt going to make cable companies put the channel on basic. the nfl caved and gave the game to everyone. perhaps there could be an outpouring of demand from the channel, but it's doubtful.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Feva

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 26, 2007, 05:34:42 PM
i wouldnt say the nfl network put anything aside...this is brilliant on their part...now they get free advertising of their channel on two network stations at one time...its a no brainer for them

Bingo.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SunMo

it's brilliant up until the part where the entire nation gets to hear Bryant Gumbel do play by play for a football game, then not so much
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phattymatty

Quote from: SunMo on December 27, 2007, 09:36:19 AM
it's brilliant up until the part where the entire nation gets to hear Bryant Gumbel do play by play for a football game, then not so much

Exactly.  It's not exactly going to be great advertising.

He is easily the worst I have ever heard doing national games.  You can tell he has some silly little meaningless stat written down on a sheet of paper, then he mentions it 5 times a game, and then when it finally happens he shouts it out like he's giving listeners all of this knowledge.  what a joke.

Seabiscuit36

I cant wait for the entire country to start ripping him
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

ice grillin you

outside of football geeks like us no one really cares about announcers and dont pay much attention to them...especially the new type customer that nfl net is trying to attract with this move...in fact a lot of these people like my mom for example will like bryant gumbel because she loved him on the today show and not even realize how bad of an announcer he is

and truth be told i actually like listening to the guy...hes so bad hes good...its entertaining to listen to him...id rather hear him than the annoying pompous joe buck

Seabiscuit36

Definitely agree with you IGY its entertaining how bad he is and brings a different element to blowouts
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

How the hell did Bryant Gumble start doing sports anyway?  Dude used to host the TODAY show for christ's sake!  I know it's been quite some time since he did that and then he moved over to HBO and started doing Real Sports but how did he get into commentating?  Anyone know? 

ice grillin you

Feva

Pretty sure he started out as a sportscaster.

EDIT: Well there you go.... IGY beat me to it.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews