We're white nerds in need of social interaction

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 01, 2008, 07:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3556641

QuoteBut honestly, I'm not surprised to learn that so few blacks are among the 30 million people who participate in fantasy sports. I've always thought that a lot of these guys (and 96% of them are guys) are nerds desperately in need of more sociable leisure-time activities. Leisure time for black folks historically consists of direct interaction, the kind of experience you get at a family barbecue or hanging out with friends. Sitting in front of a computer screen pretending to be Bill Parcells? Sounds like work to me.

Thanks, Screamin A.

QB Eagles

I don't think I buy either the data or Smith's conclusions. The only thing I've really noticed is lack of Asians. And being an engineer, I've known a lot of nerdy Asians who get all of their social interaction through a computer. That's not drawing them to fantasy football.

There might be something to the computer angle though. I'm in an pen-and-paper league that's been around since the mid-70s and it's probably the most diverse FF league I've ever seen. [Well, almost. Since it's run by old guys who like throwing the c-word around, women are banned.]

PhillyPhreak54

Well, there's the Asian guy on the NFL.com commercials from last year. Although I hope he's got a new jersey this year since Alexander has no job.

shorebird

Leave it to that icehole to bring up something so inconsequential as this. Who gives a farg?

Sounds like he's saying the brothers are too busy eating BBQ chicken and eating watermelon to play fantasy football.

Diomedes

Pretty much.  But he gets a pass to say so and you don't.  Yay idiocracy.

It's race baiting tripe, and not worthy of a thread, even here at :CF
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

I generally enjoy listening to him. But when he race baits it annoys me.

ice grillin you

the biggest reason for the lack of blacks in fantasy is even in 2008 many of them still dont have a computer due to them as a race being disporportionately poor
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous