Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

That's a pretty classic look, I wouldn't choose much differently myself.  The wheels are made in the U.S., right?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

From Cragar's website:

QuoteAll CRAGAR steel wheels are manufactured in the USA to exacting standards.

The ones I want are aluminum so I'm guessing they're made outside the US (surprise!).

Munson

So, my car needs this done to it..

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32438

And since I am completely devoid of all mechanical skills when it comes to cars....how much do you think a mechanic would charge to do this?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

Why go to the trouble of diagnosing the problem and looking up the solution on a gearhead forum, just to announce that you're not gonna fix it yourself on a football fan forum? 

Idiot.

A good mechanic probably rates about a hundred an hour, I dunno.  I used to fix shtein like this myself before I bought cars that have warrantees.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Munson on August 27, 2012, 05:23:48 PM
So, my car needs this done to it..

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32438

And since I am completely devoid of all mechanical skills when it comes to cars....how much do you think a mechanic would charge to do this?

Dio's right that it will be at least $100/hr - and that will likely be after they zap you for the diagnostic fee as well. Find a good local mechanic and tell him whats up and he'll likely forgo the diagnostic and just replace the part you need

Tomahawk

I doubt most mechanics are going to go to radio shack to buy capacitors and resistors to solder onto the transmission control unit. They're going to want to replace the unit which sounds like it would be a lot easier. You can get a used one for around a hundred bones or a reman one for about a buck fifty. I'd probably go the reman route 'cause who knows when the used one will go kaputt.

I'm guessing you're looking at about $500 to have a mechanic do it, but if you're going to own a car made in 1991, you should probably learn to fix some things yourself. If the instructions in your link are accurate, replacing the tcu would be stupid easy.

Munson

Quote from: Tomahawk on August 27, 2012, 09:26:15 PM
I doubt most mechanics are going to go to radio shack to buy capacitors and resistors to solder onto the transmission control unit. They're going to want to replace the unit which sounds like it would be a lot easier. You can get a used one for around a hundred bones or a reman one for about a buck fifty. I'd probably go the reman route 'cause who knows when the used one will go kaputt.

I'm guessing you're looking at about $500 to have a mechanic do it, but if you're going to own a car made in 1991, you should probably learn to fix some things yourself. If the instructions in your link are accurate, replacing the tcu would be stupid easy.

I was able to find a friend of a friend who works on Honda's so he's gonna check the yard to see if he has the spare part. If so he said he'll only charge me $135 for everything. 2nd option would be to have him look at it and see if it can be done like the directions I posted, if so he'd just have me buy the cheap parts for him to replace. 3rd option is buying the new one, and he gave me the same estimate you did on the cost of that.

thank god for friends of friends when you're too poor to buy a new car.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

My two left tires have been leaking air pretty regularly. Had today off so I bought two patch kits thinking I'd find a nail or something. The rear tire which I was having to fill every two weeks had a nail stuck in it so that was easy enough to fix. Couldn't find a nail or anything stuck in the front tire but after doing a water test I found a small puncture in the inside tire wall. I can probably get another 2 years from this tire because the tread is still great. Anyone know any tricks to fix a puncture in the wall? It's not a huge puncture but I know you can't patch these because the pressure builds up on the weak part and there's a better chance for a blow out.

Diomedes

I wouldn't drive ten more miles on that tire if I were you.  There is no repair for a sidewall puncture.  It's a catastrophic blowout waiting to happen...a grave danger to you, your passengers, and anyone on the road near you when it happens.  Replace the tire and do the next guy a favor:  make sure the shop destroys it so it's not resold to an ignorant customer.

Tread punctures are no problem.  I run those all the time, even on my motorcycles.

SD

After doing some investigating you're right, found a place having a special down the street. Gonna take it there in the morning.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

There are many dangers that do not threaten life and limb.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on September 29, 2012, 07:32:31 AM
There are many dangers that do not threaten life and limb.

.....like being baited by IGY.

Anyone have any Samurai experience? I've been toying with the idea of getting one, cleaning up the body, doing a 3" in lift and swapping a VW TDI into it. Guys are getting 30+ MPG while having gobs of diesel torque for offroad use.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Sgt PSN

Tomahawk

Everybody needs a truck. Now I have one: 1965 Jeep Gladiator J-200. Be interesting to see if I remember how to drive with three on the tree.