Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

I've tried Autotrader, and Cars.com, nada. They've got a bit of a cult following anymore. Getting harder to find. I've never bought anything from Ebay, let alone a car. Looking to spend a g or less and I am going to gut it and run it on rocks, etc.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

Might want to find forums dedicated to the Samurai - a lot of them will probably have a buy/sell section akin to v8buicks

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on January 21, 2010, 06:52:11 PM
I've tried Autotrader, and Cars.com, nada. They've got a bit of a cult following anymore. Getting harder to find. I've never bought anything from Ebay, let alone a car. Looking to spend a g or less and I am going to gut it and run it on rocks, etc.

i totally get not wanting to buy a car from ebay.  i never buy unless i drive it first.  not to mention that too many details can be left out of ebay item descriptions.  but since you're not looking for a functional vehicle, just one you can use for parts, it can't hurt to look.  i didn't look at the item locations though so they could be clear across the country. 

also guessing you've tried local salvage/junk yards too. 

Tomahawk

The thousand dollar budget is severely limiting. From the quick search I just did, looks like people want at least 3 to 4 grand

PhillyPhanInDC

Yeah. I am also being a lazy bastich about it. I appreciate you guys doing my work for me though. Keep it up.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

http://autos.aol.com/used-list/make1-Suzuki/model1-Samurai/location-61604/range-12500/sort-1

Lots of 'em in bad condition for around $500, but they're all ragtops. I know nothing of Samurais but it looks like they're similar to Wranglers in that you could buy a hard top seperately for probably another $400 or 500

Tomahawk

PhillyPhanInDC

Hardtops aren't like Wranglers, they can't be added later. I know I'm limiting myself, and I am finding out how serious the cult following has affected the prices. Real basket cases for a couple grand, with a lot of rot. I might just say screw it and do a Sidekick

Tomahawk

What's wrong with the one in Michigan? Too far?

PhillyPhanInDC

Michigan would be a hike. I'm still doing some research on how I want to go about it, and what I want, so I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for finding it though.

PhillyPhreak54

I went to Ford to pick up my truck today. They fixed the cam phasers/sprocket issue. The total cost, had I not had the extended warranty, would have been about 4 grand. I only had to spend a hundred bucks.

Then I hop in and drive away and notice that its got a miss. When I floored it the sputtering was bad. Being that the cam phasers deal with ignition timing, I figured something was wrong there.

Nope.

Coil pack numero uno took a shtein.

Luckily I can use my aftermarket extended warranty...50 dollar deductible.

Tomahawk

A coil pack is probably something you could replace yourself had you not had the extended warranty

My piece of shtein winter vehicle only came with a valet key (only works on drivers door and ignition). Since I accidentally hit the lock next to the trunk release, I had to pony up $104 for a new key. farg you Lexus

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah replacing a coil pack isn't tough; its the tendency of the spark plugs to seize into the heads that sucks and something I'm more than happy to pay for.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 22, 2010, 08:29:56 AM
Yeah replacing a coil pack isn't tough; its the tendency of the spark plugs to seize into the heads that sucks and something I'm more than happy to pay for.

Not anymore. That beast should have aluminum heads. Aluminum surface plus steel spark plug = no seizing.

And wholly hell, cam phasers and sprockets, then a coil pack? It sounds like it's time for a Chevy.

PhillyPhreak54

You know what, thats right. Wonder why the dude told me...ah well, I am waiting for them to call back.

But no Chevy....no way, no how.