Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Some of the discussion going on in the Are you a collector thread has me thinking it's about time we got a thread for the gearheads.

I'm a motobike guy, but pretty amateur in the garage.  I've done some work on cars, mostly fixing/replacing things, no real restoration work.  I never work alone, because I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time, so I'm usually there to help someone else.

But I love being in the garage.

Work I've done:
Tear down and rebuild top end of airhead BMW engines
Pulled transfer case and replaced with a high gear version on '62 Land Rover
Complete dissassembly of bmw motorcycles
Replacement of struts and coil springs on early 90's toyota corolla
replace airflow meter in '93 Volvo
Brake pad replacements, brake shoe replacements on various vehicles
oil changes, air filter changes, etc.

I own and work on:
1992 BMW K75s(a)
1979 R100/7
1978 Honda GL1000 (actually, haven't done a thing to this yet)

I want to add projects all the time, but I don't have a garage.  The bikes are scattered across friends garages at the moment.  One of the big goals I have is to own a garage.  I'd rather hang out in a garage than almost any other place.  I'll keep these three motobikes, and get a car or truck as soon as I can.  The old lady can drive the new, reliable car and I'll get a project car. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

1) I think it would be cool to do those things.

2) I'm horrible at doing those things.

3) I tend to not do things I'm horrible at.

That said, sounds cool.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

i changed my own battery once, but i come here not to soil this thread, but to truly profess my admiration for those that can work on their own vehicles.  well done.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Quasimoto

I worry about changing my battery and oil.  There is no way I'm getting any of that on my shirt or pants.  No way.

Diomedes

This guy spends a lot of time in the garage.  I'm jealous:

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 25, 2007, 01:28:06 PM
The unrestored "fun" car is a 70 Buick GS 455, it has some tiny spots of rust, the interior is worn, but it runs like a raped ape. The basket cases: a 69 Buick GS 400 Convertible, and my next project when I get to it is a 68 Dodge Dart GTS. The two restored cars are a 56 T-Bird, and a 67 Mustang Fastback.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Event Horizon

Sounds like a guy who would like Nascar.  :-D

ice grillin you

I worry about changing my battery and oil.  There is no way I'm getting any of that on my shirt or pants.  No way.

oh no way do i do it...i just know how and im damn proud of it

i was saying this to someone the other day but the two things i wish i knew anything about were cars and computers...having knowledge in either one can save you so much money its ridiculous

Quasimoto

:-D

I know a lot about computers.  I'm one those Mac geeks everyone hates. 

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

I predict Phreak will have 5,000 replies in this thread before it's said and done.

Also - I suck at teh mechanical stuff too.  Wish I wasn't clueless about it, though.  Knowing how to work on your own car saves you mad cash.

ice grillin you

yo romey romey romey...solid solid...post post post

PhillyPhanInDC

Christ, I just wrote out a huge reply to this thread and internet connection timed out. Suckage.

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 25, 2007, 04:10:42 PM
Sounds like a guy who would like Nascar.  :-D
Nascar sucks balls. Dumbest event (I refuse to call it a sport) man has ever particpated in.

More on this later, but
Turbo Buicks own Rustangs!!

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

Ctrl + C often when drafting a long post.  I learned that a long time ago.  Sometimes I'll even drop it into notepad and compose there, in case :CF shteins the bed.

Susquehanna Birder

When I had my tail bikes, I did a lot of work on 'em. Pretty much everything but rebuild the tranny.

Mostly maintenance stuff on the cars, but I'd done some modding with the Mustang. The big problems are time and space. The garage is too damned small and my free time is even smaller.