Best/Worst liked Dog Breeds

Started by hbionic, July 12, 2007, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

So this little guy wandered up to my patio about 2 weeks ago.  No more than 2-3 months old and nothing but skin and bone.  Because of the condition he was in, I made no attempt at all to locate the original owner and checked with my animal shelter on base (since they're a no kill shelter) but they couldn't take him because they're full.  So I put the word out at work that I had a free puppy.  Surprisingly, no takers so I guess I'm keeping him.  He looks/acts very much like a Boxer but I think he may have some Pit Bull in him too.  The Pit/Boxer breed is pretty common out here so I'd say that's probably what he is.  Can't imagine that someone would have a purebred Boxer and not feed the farging thing. 

Anyway....this is Apollo:

This was about 10 min after he came up to my patio.

This was where he decided to sleep when I took him to base with me to drop off at the shelter.

SD

I'd have kept him too, cute pooch. You're right, probably a boxer/pit mix. I'd assess it's temperament then raise accordingly.

Susquehanna Birder

Did they scan him to see if he has a chip?

PhillyPhreak54

Good looking pooch...get him nourished and like SD said gauge his temperament and then keep him.

PS - nice AstroTurf porch!

Sgt PSN

Right now his temperament is to just eat, play, sleep....seems to have a normal disposition.  I'm not concerned at all about him possibly having some Pit in him.  They're great dogs.  We've had my other dog for just over a year now and were very concerned about how he'd react to having a pup in the house.  First couple of days he wasn't thrilled at all but now the two of them play all farging day and get along great. 

Also, I knew someone would knock the turf on the patio.  It's a rental so I really didn't have any choice but I actually like it. 

Diomedes

It makes for a crazier household at times, and it's more expensive, but I am utterly convinced that the thing a dog needs most (after food, love, shelter, etc.) is another dog.  They are pack animals. 

Good on you for adding Apollo to the mix.  He's handsome and you can now forget about anyone trying to break in.  Two large barking dogs will ward off even the most desperate crackhead.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Yeah, there's not much down time in my house right now but that's ok. Good thing is my house is tile throughout. Makes for easy cleanup with his accidents.

Sgt PSN

Got Apollo fixed yesterday.  I've basically only owned 2 dogs in my adult life and both of them were fixed when I got them, so I never had to deal with it.  Farger came home from the vet yesterday still noticeably doped up on anesthetics.  Seemed a little disoriented at times and was a bit tempremental (he actually snapped at my had when I was petting his ears.)  This morning he seemed to be in much better spirits though and more like his normal self.  Wants to play, snuggle, etc.  Farger keeps running into everything with that cone though.  Doorways are simply not his friend.  Guess he doesn't realize that he needs to center himself on the doorway before walking through.  And since he has no periphreal vision, he keeps turing into walls and furniture.  It makes me laugh. 

Tomahawk

QuoteWE DO NOT ALLOW PITBULLS, ROTTWEILERS, DOBERMANS, OR ANY AGRESSIVE BREED OF DOG

That's from the website we're thinking about staying at for a canoe trip. I think I should take a rottweiler and pitbull and have them bite the owners' faces off. Then shoot the dogs for biting people.

Diomedes

I hate all caps people.  I support re-education camps for them.  WITH BARBED WIRE AND MOATS CONTAINING ALLIGATORS.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Tomahawk on May 30, 2012, 10:58:23 AM
QuoteWE DO NOT ALLOW PITBULLS, ROTTWEILERS, DOBERMANS, OR ANY AGRESSIVE BREED OF DOG

That's from the website we're thinking about staying at for a canoe trip. I think I should take a rottweiler and pitbull and have them bite the owners' faces off. Then shoot the dogs for biting people.

Hoydas.

My apt complex has the same stupid "rule" and they even included boxers in the list. We have had boxers since I was a wee lad and they've never been overly aggressive.

Diomedes

In Maryland pit bulls were recently ruled to be inherently "dangerous" by the highest non-appellate court.  All hell is breaking loose over the decision, since it affects to many different people different ways.   Lanlords, tenants, insurance companies, the local pound, SPCA groups, homeowners, and on and on.  With so many of them in the population, a decision like that causes havoc.

Sgt PSN

Boxers by nature tend to be skeptical of strangers. Not aggressively skeptical but cowardly skeptical.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on May 30, 2012, 10:26:48 PM
In Maryland pit bulls were recently ruled to be inherently "dangerous" by the highest non-appellate court.  All hell is breaking loose over the decision, since it affects to many different people different ways.   Lanlords, tenants, insurance companies, the local pound, SPCA groups, homeowners, and on and on.  With so many of them in the population, a decision like that causes havoc.

all hell breaking loose is quite the hyperbole....and i know hyperbole....spca hates it because dogs are gonna be euthanized....waaah

owners hate it because they have to actually be repsponsible for these monsters so they dont rip the face off anymore kids

i applaud the law...absolutely love it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

I find it hilarous that you agree with the profiling of a breed of dog.  How is that any different than saying a Certain Race is inherenty prone to violence then the rest of us? 

It's the ahole owners fault, not the dogs. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons