Elliott Kalb: The ship be sinking

Started by WEST is GOD, September 15, 2005, 01:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEST is GOD

From HBO sports. A short little write-up about the Eagles.

QuoteTUESDAY MORNING UPDATE: THE SHIP BE SINKING...
September 13, 2005

The Philadelphia Eagles came as close to winning the Super Bowl as a team could get last February.

So, how did Eagles President Joe Banner improve the team to put them in a position to get over the hump?

He didn't. The Eagles didn't sign any name free agents. They released veterans who made money, like defensive tackle Corey Simon and fullback Jon Ritchie.

They are underpaying several key performers, including running back Brian Westbrook and kicker David Akers.

And then, the star wide receiver had a public feud with the quarterback, calling him a "company man" and saying he felt no love when he was injured late last season.

The Eagles started their defense of their NFC title in Atlanta. About a half hour prior to the start of the game, someone asked me if I had seen the fight.

I thought they were talking about the pushing and shoving going on in the pressroom buffet line. It turns out that the Eagles Jeremiah Trotter (the heart and soul of Philadelphia's defense) and the Falcons Kevin Mathis couldn't wait for the game to begin. Trotter punched Mathis, and it was seen by game referee Walt Coleman and live television cameras.

Even the Eagles aren't good enough to spot the best running team in the NFL their starting middle linebacker, the one that calls the signals to the defense.

Atlanta ran the ball 40 times for 200-yards. That being said, Trotter's absence didn't cost the Eagles the game.

Philadelphia held Atlanta scoreless for the last three quarters, and over their final ten possessions. Safety Brian Dawkins put on a show (a forced fumble, two sacks, an interception). Michael Vick was sacked four times, fumbled twice, and 58 of the Falcons' 119 net passing yards came on one pass to wide receiver Michael Jenkins.

The Eagles lost this game because Donovan McNabb wasn't sharp. Of course, after the unbelievable hit he took early in the game from Chad Lavalais, it was amazing he was still in the game. McNabb stayed in the game until the end, taking a big hit from Rod Coleman on his 46th and final pass attempt.

If McNabb wasn't sharp, he wasn't alone. David Akers missed a pair of 49-yard field goals. That hurt. Brian Westbrook wasn't great. Terrell Owens caught seven passes for over 100-yards, but DeAngelo Hall played his ass off keeping Owens from doing any real damage.

Philadelphia might find out why the recent trend of losing Super Bowl teams do not just come back and waltz to the playoffs the following season. The Eagles have back-to-back home games with the Niners and Raiders. That will put them on track.

But they're a long ways from the Super Bowl in February.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

bobbyinlondon

You know what cracks me up about these guys when they say "the Eagles didn't sign any name FAs", they refuse to say who "the name FAs" were during the offseason. To me, they were--

1. Mushin Muhammed--is Andy Reid going to pay another 32 year old WR big money? Probably not.

2. Plaxico Burress--the Eagles had mild interest in him, but I think put him together with the spat they were going through with Rosenhaus, it was unlikely they were going to sign him.

3. Ken Lucas and Anthony Henry--were these guys better than Sheppard and Brown?

4. Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera--Rivera is 33, old for an offensive lineman and had to have back surgery after signing with Dallas. Wahle maybe, but is 10M too much for a guard?

Ritchie hasn't recovered from his injury yet--how do you explain his workout with the Bengals, but then they signed the apparently and reportedly overweight Nick Luchey?

Feva

QuoteThe Eagles started their defense of their NFC title in Atlanta. About a half hour prior to the start of the game, someone asked me if I had seen the fight.

I thought they were talking about the pushing and shoving going on in the pressroom buffet line. It turns out that the Eagles Jeremiah Trotter (the heart and soul of Philadelphia's defense) and the Falcons Kevin Mathis couldn't wait for the game to begin. Trotter punched Mathis, and it was seen by game referee Walt Coleman and live television cameras.

He could have just said... "No, I didn't see the fight, but I'll be damn sure to speculate as to what happened."
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

mikey418

61 yards NET passing.  That's what Vick had minus the big play.  And I tend to believe that if Trotter was in the game that play action would not have been as effective at drawing up the safeties to allow Vick to go over the top.
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

Rome

QuoteLady in Car: What are you gonna name it?

Alison Bradbury: What?

Lady in Car: The baby.

Alison Bradbury: Well, if it's a girl, Cynthia, and if it's a boy, Elliot.

Lady in Car: Those are lovely names.

Walter (Gib) Gibson: Elliot? You're gonna name the kid Elliot? No, you can't name the kid Elliot. Elliot is a fat kid with glasses who eats paste. You're not gonna name the kid Elliot. You gotta give him a real name. Give him a name. Like Nick.

Alison Bradbury: Nick?

Walter (Gib) Gibson: Yeah, Nick. Nick's the kinda guy you can trust. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kinda guy you drink beers with. The kinda guy that doesn't care if you puke in his car. Nick.

:-D  Great movie.

Zanshin

That was a good movie.  Haven't seen that in awhile.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Seriously...who is this fargin guy? So many inaccuracies so little time...

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 15, 2005, 08:40:24 AM
Seriously...who is this fargin guy? So many inaccuracies so little time...

Dude... he's Elliott.

Try and keep up, alright?

Sheesh.

::)

hunt

QuoteThe Philadelphia Eagles came as close to winning the Super Bowl as a team could get last February.

So, how did Eagles President Joe Banner improve the team to put them in a position to get over the hump?

He didn't. The Eagles didn't sign any name free agents. They released veterans who made money, like defensive tackle Corey Simon and fullback Jon Ritchie.

They are underpaying several key performers, including running back Brian Westbrook and kicker David Akers.

the author's a no-name idiot but you can't argue this part.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

pinoyboy2pt0

Quote from: mikey418 on September 15, 2005, 08:09:27 AM
61 yards NET passing.  That's what Vick had minus the big play.  And I tend to believe that if Trotter was in the game that play action would not have been as effective at drawing up the safeties to allow Vick to go over the top.

Labinjo did get caught in some play actions and turning his back running w/his man (which is understandable I guess).  I was surprised J.J. didn't have Labinjo try and blow up the center at least once.
Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No pro bowl WR's.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Retarded special teams.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  "I've got to do a better job."  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Running game shines for 3 plays. Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No adjustments anywhere.  Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  (repeat)