The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

Plus Euro teams pay the players' taxes, so that $20M over 3 years is take home pay, much bigger than the Hawks were offering and a lot better than any NBA 20M contract.

ice grillin you

Quote from: phattymatty on July 23, 2008, 01:09:12 PM
Plus Euro teams pay the players' taxes, so that $20M over 3 years is take home pay, much bigger than the Hawks were offering and a lot better than any NBA 20M contract.

remember the exchange rate too...they can throw 10 mil euros at him...and to an american its really $15 mil or so....unless childress plans on spending it all overseas and losing the difference...
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: phattymatty on July 23, 2008, 01:09:12 PM

Wow.  $20m cash money?

FTW.  He would have been farging crazy to stay stateside.

DH

What the hell does FTW stand for?

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phattymatty

Quote from: reese125 on July 23, 2008, 01:24:15 PM
5yrs 33 million offer by Hawks

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/07/23/childress_hawks_greece.html

so yeah 20/3 and 33/5 are about the same on the surface.  then in the hawks deal you figure with what these guys make, probably 40% or so goes to uncle sam.  big difference.

also, on the greek teams he can opt out his contract and entertain nba offers at the end of each season.  

add in the fact that he's going to be in greece and not atlanta.  it should be a no-brainer.

phattymatty

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 23, 2008, 01:25:26 PM

remember the exchange rate too...they can throw 10 mil euros at him...and to an american its really $15 mil or so....unless childress plans on spending it all overseas and losing the difference...

this i'm not sure of.  i think the 20M number is already converted to dollars.  so it's like 15M euros or whatever the rate is now.  if not, then obviously it's even more of a difference.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

Quote from: phattymatty on July 23, 2008, 01:47:24 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on July 23, 2008, 01:25:26 PM

this i'm not sure of.  i think the 20M number is already converted to dollars.  so it's like 15M euros or whatever the rate is now.  if not, then obviously it's even more of a difference.

if its already converted then hes not really making out cause he turned down 35 mil (or possibly more according to some reports) with atlanta...with taxes taken out it ends up being around the 20 mil that he signed in greece for
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

DH

He is able to opt out of his Greece contact after each year, and he will still be property of the Hawks as a RFA throughout his stay in Athens; unless ATL relinquishes that right. Those two factors alone make the deal better than any deal he could get in the US while the money is equal. 

All told, Urkel made a smart, smart move.

phattymatty

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 23, 2008, 02:12:22 PM
if its already converted then hes not really making out cause he turned down 35 mil (or possibly more according to some reports) with atlanta...with taxes taken out it ends up being around the 20 mil that he signed in greece for

20M/3 years > 20M/5 years

phattymatty

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

The Knicks gave up on Renaldo Balkman already, trading him to the Nuggets for Bobby Jones (who the Sixers gave up in the Reggie Evans deal), Taurean Green and a 2010 2nd-rd pick