The 'Mass-Shooting In The US' thread

Started by Father Demon, February 14, 2008, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Demon

seems there's enough of them...

Northern Illinois University

At least two people have been shot and several injured shortly before 4 p.m. CT at Northern Illinois University outside Chicago, CNN affiliates are reporting.

The gunman who opened fire in Cole Hall, a lecture building, is dead according to DeKalb police, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

This says no fatalities known at this time, but on another site I had heard maybe up to four dead, including the gunman. 
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

hbionic

I picked a great time to go back to school.  :-\
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Diomedes

As long as people have guns, this will happen.

Yawn.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

Everyone should carry a SAW with them, its the american way
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Father Demon

The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

MDS

at least the shootings at temple take place off campus, so no one really notices.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

Quote from: Father Demon on February 14, 2008, 06:08:31 PM
Dio, are you anti-gun?

Serious question.

Serious answer...no.

As a practical matter, they'll never be gotten rid of, so I'm not looking for the government to try to sieze all guns.  Moreover, I think it's good sense to allow shotguns, rifles, and even revolvers.  I think shotguns are the perfect tool (after a big dog or two) for home self defense, and rifles ought to be allowed for hunting (they are useless for self defense).  I guess revolvers are okay too, but I'm on the fence a bit there...so much damage done because you can pocket it...but hell, youv'e only got six shots, so I'd allow 'em.

Everything else should be restricted to police and military.  To be clear, I fully support banning anything but rifles, shotguns, and revolvers.

I am not worried about the government using the military to attack us; the "to protect us against the government" argument is ridiculous.  First, I just don't see DMF turning his M-16 on American civilians just because his commander tells him to.   Not even on protestors, Kent State notwithstanding.  Second, if he DID submit to such an order, so would the dudes with the remote control missile bearing airplanes, which would annihilate citizens in America just as effectively as those in Iraq, even if they do have M-16s.  So I reject that argument.

The technology available at the time did not allow the founding fathers to imagine a world of automatic pistols you can hide in your pocket.  It is one of the most out-dated parts of the U.S. Constitution, an otherwise awesome document.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Diomedes

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer

I'm pretty much in full agreement with Dio on this one.  I can see owning shotguns, and even to some degree handguns, for purposes of hunting or protection of family and property.  But there is no need for the average citizen to own assault rifles and the like.

I'm also in favor of compulsory classes and background checks before being allowed to own guns.   

PhillyPhreak54

Agreed.

Handguns, shotguns and rifles = fine.

Fully automatic weapons, armor piercing rounds and the like = police/military only

I always think back to those nuts in LA a few years ago who robbed that bank and then walked down the street in body armor smokin people left and right.

Diomedes

It was recently the anniversary of that event.

Also, I think the NRA does very good work with the gun safety classes.  Regarding the rest of their agenda, I think they ought to be shot.

Father Demon

I am also in agreement with Dio on this one. 

But the argument about outlawing guns (or certain kinds of guns) means only outlaws will have them.  Chances are very low I'll ever be one on one with an automatic-weapon armed dude and I only have a revolver, but if it happened I would get smoked.

But, with the chances so remote, I'm in agreement with certain restrictions.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 14, 2008, 07:29:36 PM
Agreed.

Handguns, shotguns and rifles = fine.

Fully automatic weapons, armor piercing rounds and the like = police/military only

I always think back to those nuts in LA a few years ago who robbed that bank and then walked down the street in body armor smokin people left and right.
When the zombies come, do you want a shotty or a SAW with armor piercing rounds? 

The bank of america robbery with the auto weapons w/armor piercing rounds and sewn together bullet proof vests really was an amazing robbery, plus those guys were hopped up on pcp or some drug. 

The problem is just like handguns, you can control the legal purchasers, but for the street, there is a different law and market. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons