UFC / MMA

Started by MURP, February 04, 2007, 11:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

The real key here is that FEDOR is still under contract with the new entity.    Nice. 

Feva

Everybody in the same pot... wow.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

MURP

Feva,   Rashad has been talking all kinds of shtein about Tito lately.    Thats going to be a fun match up. 

Feva

Damn... I don't know if he's ready for Tito yet.  I know that even Tito ain't what he used to be but... still dangerous.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

MURP

This Thursday night at 8pm is Ultimate Fight Night Live on SPIKE  followed by the Ultimate Fighter season 5 premiere.

Also here is a list of bars that will be showing UFC 69 April 7th 9pm.    Link

MURP

HUGE UPSET last night.   While the Sanchez/Kos fight turned out to be a total bore, the main event was a big time surprise.   This is what makes MMA so much fun, a bigtime underdog always has a punchers chance.

here is the video of Matt Serra vs. Georges St Pierre. 

Link

Feva

Holy shtein!

I liked Serra and all but I figured St. Pierre would eat his ass up.  Couldn't believe that shtein.

Sanchez losing for the 1st time to Koscheck (from Buffalo btw... another local boy) seems like it made for a pretty interesting PPV.

Drunkmasterflex

Wow, I can't believe Serra did that.  I never thought he would be able to beat St. Pierre at his own game.  I didn't get to see it because my cable box went out. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

MURP

here is a fun little vid of Tito and Rashad getting in each others faces this past saturday.  Tito gives him a shove.   Im loving this fights set up.   UFC is starting to get some of this down good... like WWF pre fight antics except these guys really beat the shtein outta each other.

link

mussa

damn st. pierre got rocked!  :o
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

mussa

Saw a commercial on FSN Pittsburgh last night for Pride Fighting this Sunday at 7pm. Fedor vs Mark Coleman and another fight I can't recall. I can't wait to see Fedor crush Coleman. Coleman is one of the toughest sons of bitches out there though, he can take a beating.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

MURP

some of Chuck Liddels workouts

QuoteA DAY IN THE LIFE
11 a.m. Wake. Six to eight egg whites with hot sauce, two slices wheat toast. Water. "Fights are at night, so I wake late and train late to acclimate," says Liddell. "I want 9 p.m. to be like the middle of my day."
12:30-2 p.m. Workout.
2:30 p.m. Grilled chicken breast or grilled salmon, white rice, broccoli or carrots. Water. "I'll reheat this for my other meals," he says. "I had a nutritionist who gave me different meal plans. Too much work."
4:30 p.m. Supplement shake.
7 p.m. Repeat lunch meal. "If I vary and go out, it's usually for sashimi," he says. "I'll have salmon and tuna and water. No alcohol during training."
8:30-10 p.m. Workout.
10:30 p.m. Repeat lunch meal.
2 to 3 a.m. Bedtime.

QuoteWith less than two months until his title defense against Quinton (Rampage) Jackson, Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight titleholder Chuck Liddell, 37, has headed to the hills of Arroyo Grande, Calif., to train at an outdoor compound known as The Pit. "It's one of those raw places that you heard about growing up but thought was folklore," says Liddell, who first trained there 16 years ago, while he was a collegiate wrestler at Cal Poly. In that Pit debut Liddell -- now nicknamed the Iceman -- sparred against the facility's owner, John Hackleman, for 19 straight minutes. "I took a beating," Liddell admits. "I had a catcher's mitt for a face. But he has been my trainer ever since."

Hackleman, a 10th-degree black belt and former Army boxing champion, leads Liddell through twice-daily workouts with 14 other mixed-martial-arts fighters. "A lot of guys don't last because they hate these medieval workouts," says Hackleman, 47. "But there is no New Age exercise or machine that's better for you than pushing a wheelbarrow up a hill."

With a 20-3 career record and coming off a Dec. 30 title defense, against Tito Ortiz, that drew about $40 million in pay-per-view sales, the 6'2", 204-pound Liddell swears by his hard-core regimen. Here are some highlights.

Rowin' and Rasslin'

In a standard rowing machine, start with knees bent and bare feet strapped into footrests. Row 800 meters in less than 2 1/2 minutes. Roll off machine and onto adjacent mat. Wrestle opponent for 2 1/2 minutes. Rest one minute. Five sets.

Hackleman: "The machine works mainly the legs but also the lats. By the time he finishes 800 meters and wrestles, he's exhausted -- it simulates how tired he'd be in a fight. To make it worse, I'll have him start wrestling on his back and fight his way to the top of his opponent."

Hammer Time

Grip a 16-pound sledgehammer with left hand by base of handle and right hand halfway up. With knees bent, swing hammer above right shoulder and down onto a 300-pound tire with a steady rhythm. 100 reps.

Hackleman: "I call this the Earnie Shavers [after the boxer] -- he told me about this drill. It's for punching power, and [Shavers] was one of the hardest punchers. The motion simulates an overhand right, the most common punch for knockouts. It's mainly for shoulder strength, but the core also gets worked.

Wheelbarrow

Place 275 pounds of free weights in a standard wheelbarrow. Grip wheelbarrow handles and sprint 100 yards up a 10-degree incline. Turn and run down, still holding wheelbarrow in front of you. One-minute rest. Three round trips.

Hackleman: "It takes endurance and leg strength to push that weight up the hill, but it's a killer for your grip and shoulders going down. Down is just as important because in ultimate fighting you constantly use those muscles to pull your opponent to the mat or off of you."

Pit Wall Ball

Stand six feet away from wooden beam. Bend down, pick up a 125-pound medicine ball and raise it to chest height. Throw ball at beam by pushing arms straight out in front of you. Must bounce back at least three feet, or else repeat rep. Five reps is one set. One-minute rest. Five sets.

Hackleman: "This is for punching power. Just picking up the 125 pounds is killer, but I need him to throw it with power as well. This primarily builds up his shoulder muscles."

link

Feva

MURP

UFC 70 this Saturday. 

MURP

if anyone is interested:  The Greatest fighter in the world, Fedor, just finished up Matt Lindland recently.  Here is the video

link