Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Ho

Speaking of stepping up:

JTR, Hoskins, and Castellanos
Last 3 games
1-36, 22 strikeouts
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Quote"Honestly, I was just caught off guard," Wheeler said. "It is what it is, right?"

While the Astros' popped champagne corks, Thomson explained his decision in the postgame news conference.

"I thought Wheels still had really good stuff," Thomson said. "It wasn't about that. It was just, I thought the matchup was better with Alvarado on Alvarez at that time."

Wheeler got Alvarez to pop out to left in the first and and to Sosa at short in the fourth.  Analytics baby, analytics.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

They didn't lose because the Canuck yanked Wheeler. They lost because the offense literally didn't hit AT ALL.  We've seen it happen all year.  They explode on teams and then completely zone out for a week at a time.  It's who they are. 

They had no business being in the World Series but the ride was fun as hell to watch. 

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Quote from: Rome on November 06, 2022, 06:30:42 AM
They had no business being in the World Series but the ride was fun as hell to watch.

Disagree. They made it and only lost 2 games in 3 playoff series. When the chips were down they beat the best teams the NL had to offer and none of the series were even close. Regular season wins are fun but as we've seen these playoffs meaningless once you get to the postseason.

On your second part agreed. The emotional journey is farging wretched. We all obviously wanted them to win but it's a relief it's over. My life just revolved around the Phillies the past month. Houston trip was one I'll never forget.

Munson

Haha same on that last point. It was a surreal experience to suddenly be living and dying on every out of multiple baseball games in October. Maybe it's because I was still in college and young at the time (and hell I think the 2008/09 seasons were when I had dropped out for a bit), but even those runs that I was MUCH more invested in over the entire season, I don't remember it taking over my life in October the way the Phils just did this past month. To the point where I was barely watching a game that the undefeated Eagles were playing a few nights ago. Just an insane turn of events that is suddenly ending and giving me the "well wait what do I do now?" feeling, same one I got after PA was announced for Biden and the election was finally over lol.

It was just such a weird run because i was super invested early on, became jaded by the Girardi months, began following again over the summer despite not watching every single game, expected absolutely nothing after that horrible September, to suddenly screaming at my TV on school nights in October. Surreal. Fun. I'll at least always have being at the NL clincher and experiencing that Harper HR in person, and my rally towel to keep. A fun ride.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

Quote from: Hurts_Defense_Superbowl on November 06, 2022, 09:45:01 AM
they beat the best teams the NL had to offer

The Padres beat the best team the NL had to offer.

SD

Quote from: QB Eagles on November 06, 2022, 11:15:41 AM
Quote from: Hurts_Defense_Superbowl on November 06, 2022, 09:45:01 AM
they beat the best teams the NL had to offer

The Padres beat the best team the NL had to offer.

The Padres only lost 1 game to the Dodgers who had hfa we only lost 1 game to the padres who had hfa. We would have beaten the dodgers.

Postseason Phillies were the best team in the nl and there wasn't even a team close.

MDS

i really dont know where youre going with this but the phillies were like the 10th best team in the sport

playoff baseball is a nonsensical crapshoot and they happened to catch fire at the correct time. all year they were curb stomped by the mets. a 7 games series against the dodgers depth wouldve gone the same as the astros series.

it was a very fun run, at some point their limitations had to catch up with them and they did in the last 3 games of the WS where they couldnt hit and their lack of pitching depth was exposed. and thank god ill never have to hear that terrible dancing on my own song anymore.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Quote from: MDS on November 06, 2022, 11:33:48 AM
i really dont know where youre going with this but the phillies were like the 10th best team in the sport

Postseason they were last man standing in the NL and no team really gave them trouble. It's not very complicated. I'm glad the dodgers and Mets won 800 regular season games it meant Jack shtein post season. Astros sweep any other team from the NL.

MDS

yea thats just not how things work, but if it makes you feel better, sure

the phillies were the best team in baseball in 11 but they got bounced in the first round. same with the dodgers this year. the playoff format is not fair and always random. the 5 game DS is especially silly.

their whole run started because mlb randomly added a 6th playoff team. G1 in st louis the cardinals manager tried to get 5 outs from their closer who had blister issues. G1 in atlanta max fried had like covid or something. their best pitcher was hurt in G3 and melted down after 2 innings. the padres refused to use their all world lefty closer against bryce harper for some reason.

this entire thing was complete nonsense! but it happened and it was fun and thats all you can take from it.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Quote from: MDS on November 06, 2022, 11:54:31 AM
yea thats just not how things work, but if it makes you feel better, sure

I couldn't feel worse today but if you beat a team in a series in the postseason especially without hfa you're superior to that team. The Braves were superior to every team in the league last season. That's sports. Chips are down you either step up or step the farg off but the game is out there and it's either play or get played.

ice grillin you

MAGA chuds got what they deserved. Enjoy middle America this winter frauds.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Todd when you talked to Middleton he hinted at trying to add Turner or Swanson? Am I remembering that correctly.

MDS

you are not. i never talked to him about offseason plans