The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

It should have never gone to overtime.  Smith and Tomjanovich changed their votes....

SunMo

OMG!1!!1! iGgy getTed scr003d!!!111!1
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on February 19, 2006, 09:48:56 AM
You people are upset over the results of a dunking contest.

I repeat, a dunking contest.

rjs... do your thing, bro.

It could have been anyone, not just IGGY and I'd still be pissed.  The Slam Dunk contest has been dead for well over a decade and 2 guys finally put some life back in it last night.  Iggy had the single most creative dunk in years and I'd be saying that even if it was someone else's dunk. 

The point is that we aren't talking about the dunks.  We're talking about some dumbass judge when the focus should be on the 2 guys who were putting on a show. 

Sgt PSN

Incase anyone missed it or if you just want to watch it again, go here and then click on the "Which 50?" link in the middle of the page to see Iggy's dunk from behind the backboard and Robinson's dunk over Spudd Webb. 

Feva

Quote from: PhillyGirl on February 19, 2006, 08:53:35 AM
Quote from: EagleFeva on February 19, 2006, 01:12:14 AM
Iguodala let himself get robbed though.  He mailed in his last 2 dunks.  Peope have been doing that between the legs dunk since '97... and he did it TWICE in the finals and the dunk-off.  He should have tried more difficult dunks.

HUH? Iggy's second to last dunk was insane. wtf are you TALKING about?

You need to get you're shtein straight.  In the final round... and then the dunk-off, Iguodala did the same dunk.  His insane dunks were the behind the backboard and his behind the back dunks.  Both of them landed him a perfect 50, not the 44 he got that forced the dunk-off.  He mailed in his last 2 dunks by doing the between the legs dunk that J.R. Rider did way back in '97.  Not to mention that other people (including Robinson) did the same dunk earlier in the same competition.  That's wtf I'm TALKING about.

Personally, I think Iguodala should have won, but he did it to himself.  He left the door wide open by easing up at the end.  Iguodala's 2 best dunks were WAAAAY better than Robinson's best, but maybe he should have saved one of them for the final round as kind of an exclamation point, because he seemed out of ideas and it cost him.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

BigEd76

Destiny's Child reunited (again) for the national anthem, AI is bored with the game (me too) and the West blew a big lead against the Pistons...

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: EagleFeva on February 19, 2006, 08:24:31 PM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on February 19, 2006, 08:53:35 AM
Quote from: EagleFeva on February 19, 2006, 01:12:14 AM
Iguodala let himself get robbed though.  He mailed in his last 2 dunks.  Peope have been doing that between the legs dunk since '97... and he did it TWICE in the finals and the dunk-off.  He should have tried more difficult dunks.

HUH? Iggy's second to last dunk was insane. wtf are you TALKING about?

You need to get you're shtein straight.  In the final round... and then the dunk-off, Iguodala did the same dunk.  His insane dunks were the behind the backboard and his behind the back dunks.  Both of them landed him a perfect 50, not the 44 he got that forced the dunk-off.  He mailed in his last 2 dunks by doing the between the legs dunk that J.R. Rider did way back in '97.  Not to mention that other people (including Robinson) did the same dunk earlier in the same competition.  That's wtf I'm TALKING about.

Personally, I think Iguodala should have won, but he did it to himself.  He left the door wide open by easing up at the end.  Iguodala's 2 best dunks were WAAAAY better than Robinson's best, but maybe he should have saved one of them for the final round as kind of an exclamation point, because he seemed out of ideas and it cost him.

Were you posting with or without the Knicks jersey on?....homer.

:)

Feva

:-D

I'd be lying if I said that it upsets me that a Knick won the thing, but seriously... Iguodala's dunks were much more impressive.  I just think had he done something spectacular at the end... the judges wouldn't even have had the opportunity to change their votes.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

phattymatty

If I were T-Mac, I'd feel like a total butthead right now.  The West players, and the announcers for the most part, were handing the MVP trophy to him on a platter.  Talking about how he deserves it after all of his personal problems or whatever.  Even Kobe was giving up shots to T-Mac.  Then Lebron comes in and ruins everything.  Awesome.

I was thinking Lebron deserves it but they're going to give it to T-Mac anyway, but was pleasantly surprised when they didn't.

Sgt PSN

The NBA is only allowed to hand out 1 sympathy award per All Star festivities.  They met their quota with Robinson. 

phattymatty

PhillyPhreak54

Bill Simmons...

QuoteThe Frozen Envelope Award for "Biggest scandal directly involving the Knicks"

You know how you're guaranteed an Oscar if you lose or gain a ton of weight or play a special needs character? Well, if you're short or female, your odds of winning a dunk contest increase exponentially. For instance, Nate Robinson won Saturday's contest even though it took him roughly 75 times to complete two of his dunks. This went well beyond "It's time for the Birdman to fly" territory, or even feel-good "Costner in 'Tin Cup'" territory; Nate's complete disregard for the fans was almost overwhelming. I mean, we were sitting there for like 10 minutes watching him try dunks with a 2.5-percent probability of succeeding. I don't know how it played on TV, but in person? Excruciating.

Of course, when Nate ended up winning over the far superior Andre Iguodala, that's when it surpassed the Wilkins-Jordan contest in '87 as the all-time Dunk Contest Travesty That Will Never Be Topped. Nobody even had the energy to boo because Nate had already ruined our collective will to live; we ended up hightailing like people fleeing a murder scene. Even more tragically, the grisly ending overshadowed two of the greatest dunks ever -- Robinson's scaling Spud Webb (he was available), and Iguodala's incredible other-side-of-the-backboard dunk, which was, unequivocally, the best dunk I've ever seen in person. (It nearly caused a riot -- for a second, I thought the players on hand were going to charge the floor, almost like a delirious college hoops crowd after a buzzer-beating basket.) No matter how contrived the dunk contest is, or how fixed it is, few in-person sports moments compare with someone's bringing the house down in a dunk contest. That still ranks right up there.

Sgt PSN

:-D at the Tin Cup comment.  I was talking with a buddy of mine on the phone when Robinson was on his eleventeenth try I mentioned the Tin Cup thing. 

Ok.  2 guys on the phone making Tin Cup references.  Bring it on. 

MDS

Ok.  2 guys on the phone making Tin Cup references.  Bring it on

That entire article was a good read. Funny story with Rashard Lewis. It's good to see him get back to the basics, his analyzation of sports is useless, boring and not even close to being remotley true.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.