The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

its hilarious that the NBA gets their dream matchup and the NHL is on the brink of the worst finals ever as far as hype/ratings go
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

at the same time nhl is on the verge of having a dream finals

but yeah it could go horribly wrong.....and they have back to back game 7 conference finals for the third time ever and theres more talk about klay thompson and the nba's concussion protocol
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

the first mistake was having a game 7 fall on a friday night.  that's a terrible sports night.  they should have done both on saturday back to back
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

they must have just given up at even trying to get more fans....they know what they have and that they are going to get the same exact people to watch these two games no matter when they are on

but yeah back to back would be awesome....even like a sat afternoon back to back at 1 and 4 ala football

Rome

Casual fans really don't care, though. If LeBron wasn't involved the series might be ignored entirely

ice grillin you

casual viewers def watch the nba finals....thats why their viewership skyrockets in the playoffs and finals

stars definitely help but lebron or not nba finals is always going to get around 15 million people

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 29, 2015, 12:59:38 PM
casual viewers def watch the nba finals....thats why their viewership skyrockets in the playoffs and finals

stars definitely help but lebron or not nba finals is always going to get around 15 million people

thats not accurate
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

what has the nba finals average over the last 25 years....i thought it did btwn 10-20 million

as for casual viewers thats 100% fact

MDS

it does

but there is a definite, significant fluctuation when the matchup is good and the matchup is bad. lebron/no lebron is a substantial thing.

it is however, NOT as substantial as what the nhl faces. i cant remember a bigger potential difference between the holy grail (ny/chi) and meaningless garbage (ana/tb)
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

yeah i never said there wasnt....but either end in going to be in the 15 million range...below it without a star above with...i was talking to romeys comment that no one would watch if lebron wasnt in it

MDS

i can go with that....though by below it you could mean around 9 mil. a really good matchup would easily break 20.

baseball is in the same boat. both are slaves to a handful of teams/players being in the marquee games. only the nfl is above that and only the nhl doesnt really need it. they know what they are and they dont care

ice grillin you

my point is its never going to be in the "no one" would watch range of something like the nhl

nba finals no matter what are big ratings

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 29, 2015, 01:33:12 PM
my point is its never going to be in the "no one" would watch range of the nhl

nba finals no matter what are big ratings

what do you classify as "big" ratings. averaging 9-10 mil for a finals wouldnt be considered that, and thats about what an atlanta/memphis series would have done, if not lower.

on the nhl end, id be floored if ducks/lighting hit 4 mil.

ice grillin you

under ten million probably never happen in the nba again...but even 9 million still puts it in the top 5 tv shows of the week doesnt it?....i dont consider that no one watching

isnt 4 million very very good for the nhl...i thought their highest ever was like 5 mil

MDS

the last 2 series both hit 5 mi....typical playoff games do around 1-2 mil.

im figuring there's a cool 2 mil diehard nhl audience, with the audience increasing if the series goes long. thats why i hit the high water mark at 4. likely around 2. chi/nyr could average 7-8 and hit 10-15 for a game 7.

as for the nba, they didnt hit 10 mil as far back as 06. all ratings are going down, except for the nfl. it can most definitely happen. though since its the summer and nobody watches live tv anymore, it would likely be one of the most watched shows of the week. but thats misleading.