The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Diomedes on February 13, 2014, 08:10:10 AM
I was out at 6, cleared my sidewalk, my driveway, half the street in front of my driveway, three neighbors' sidewalks, and the sidewalk in front of the park I manage.  It changed over to straight rain by the time I was finished at 7:30, and the snow was really getting heavier because of all the moisture.  Now it appears to be back to snow, and coming down hard.  We did get my wife out the door though, and she made it to the hospital without incident.  Yay new tires on a front wheel drive.
I haven't tried to shovel yet.  I just don't feel like effin with the freezing rain at this point.  One thing that i'd like to remind anyone who cries about not being able to work from home.  Todays like this when they shut down the offices, I still get to work.  Come on internnet outage
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

I was lucky to get my work done before the rain.  It was light and dry when I started.  I wouldn't want to clear that much snow now that it's really getting dense.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

The thing about snowblowers is that they feel like the stupidest purchase in the world...right up until you need one, at which point it feels like the smartest thing you ever spent money on. I mean, they can be expensive, and they take up a ton of room for the, usually, two or three times a year you need it. But when you need it, man, feels great to have it.

Pretty much the same thing with a a generator. I have a 10000 watt tri fuel generator (runs propane, natural gas or gasoline), and I had the house wired so that I can plug it directly into my main. Haven't needed to use it since I bought the thing, but I mostly bought it to shut my wife up about how we lost power for two weeks during Sandy. So, money well spent, I guess.

Diomedes

If she actually shut up, it was money well spent indeed.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Any money spent to stop a nagging woman is money well spent

Diomedes

And by stop, you mean eradicate, AMIRITE?

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Zanshin on February 13, 2014, 08:31:32 AM
The thing about snowblowers is that they feel like the stupidest purchase in the world...right up until you need one, at which point it feels like the smartest thing you ever spent money on. I mean, they can be expensive, and they take up a ton of room for the, usually, two or three times a year you need it. But when you need it, man, feels great to have it.

Pretty much the same thing with a a generator. I have a 10000 watt tri fuel generator (runs propane, natural gas or gasoline), and I had the house wired so that I can plug it directly into my main. Haven't needed to use it since I bought the thing, but I mostly bought it to shut my wife up about how we lost power for two weeks during Sandy. So, money well spent, I guess.
Couldn't have said it better on both accounts.  Best purchase I've made is the generator we got.  Though i wish i got one like yours that took any of the fuel options.  Truthfully I've been trying to find a diesel capable of running the whole house, might just end up with one of the big boys from governmentliquidation.com 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Zanshin

I REALLY wanted to run a gas line for the generator, because, well, that would be awesome. But it's cost prohibitive, because the gas comes in on one side of the house, and the main is on the complete opposite side of the house. I had a couple of quotes, and it would four figures to run it, and the ROI just isn't there. Instead, I got a big propane tank to use in a pinch.

Seabiscuit36

We actually have a 250 gallon above ground tank that with the house when we bought it.  It's not hooked up, and honestly at this point i may just get it filled so i don't have to run out to lowes and whatnot to swap tanks. 

Zanshin

Yeah, why not? That's exactly what I'd do. I have about 70 pounds on hand, along with some gasoline I could use in a pinch. The vast majority of people in this area have gas-only generators. During Sandy the gas stations were an absolute shtein show, so I wanted the flexibility. But I prefer running it on propane anyway, as it's easier to store and cleaner to run. That and when I need to refuel, the lines won't be ridiculous. Assuming I ever need it.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Zanshin on February 13, 2014, 09:42:08 AM
Yeah, why not? That's exactly what I'd do. I have about 70 pounds on hand, along with some gasoline I could use in a pinch. The vast majority of people in this area have gas-only generators. During Sandy the gas stations were an absolute shtein show, so I wanted the flexibility. But I prefer running it on propane anyway, as it's easier to store and cleaner to run. That and when I need to refuel, the lines won't be ridiculous. Assuming I ever need it.
Went out last night to get a propane tank refill at Jimmy Haslams Flying J.  There was 12 cars waiting to fill up the tanks be them 15lbers up to 100lbers.  Just chaos, I went to lowes instead and swapped it.  What brand generator did you end up going with? 

Seabiscuit36

Nice, i have 60 hours on our generator over the past 2 years.  Always keep up with oil and stabilizers, but I really do like the option of having 3 fuel sources so you're not limited as you said to waiting in lines.  We have the whole house hookup, its clutch having everything with the exception of the hvac system running. 

So the lull is here, no precip, minimal winds.  But the low is strengthening. 

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-74.55,37.24,3000

SD

ice grillin you

a week ago i was shoveling a foot of snow off my deck now im chillin on it with a cocktail and gettin beats....today is the perfect weather day imo
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous