The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Had no power from a little after 11:30 last night until 1:30 this afternoon.  No damage here, but the elderly couple down the street had a tree fall on their driveway and crush 1 or 2 vehicles.  The tree was owned by the next-door neighbor.......their daughter...

PoopyfaceMcGee

Family drama!

I was without power for roughly 1.6 seconds yesterday, per FFette. I was actually on a Bojangles run, so she might just be busting my balls.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: reese125 on August 28, 2011, 02:18:56 PM
corniest over-hyped storm ever

Might have been a breeze for you, but I don't think the families of the 18 dead consider it a picnic. Still, there was a ton of stress created over it, but I'd rather they err on that side than underplaying the potential devastation.

shorebird

I was out of power from 9:30 last night 'till 9:00 pm today. Wind was bad, blew down a lot of trees in my neighborhood. The pumping station right up the road crapped out and so did a lot of houses. Theres crap trucks a plenty right now pumping the sewer, one right on my street. I've been going in a bucket.

Diomedes

So, normal life on the Eastern Shore.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Don Ho

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on August 28, 2011, 06:19:38 PM
Quote from: reese125 on August 28, 2011, 02:18:56 PM
corniest over-hyped storm ever

Might have been a breeze for you, but I don't think the families of the 18 dead consider it a picnic. Still, there was a ton of stress created over it, but I'd rather they err on that side than underplaying the potential devastation.

Exactly.  At least with a hurricane, rain, wind, etc. you have fair enough warning and some time to prepare.  Imagine a tornado, earthquake or tsunami.  Remember those cars on the bridge when the tsunami hot Japan?  Nowhere to go and no time to react.  Learned my lesson about "over preparing" after our tsunami alert back in March.  Better safe than sorry.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

No Phils for two days in August, pre-zzzzzzzzzzzzeason football, hurricanes, earthquakes across the US, its time for some surf.

Check this sick shtein out from Tahiti yesterday.  This is coming our way starting late tomorrow.  Calling for 12 foot + faces on the south shore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGYjetQZXZc
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

DH

NYC completely farged up during this stupid thing. The only reason they over-prepared the way they did was due to the way they bungled the snowstorm cleanup this past winter. Among other things, evacuations of residents and COMPLETE SHUTDOWNS OF TRAINS AND BUSES were not neccessary - and only ended up causing the city an entire Sundays worth of revenue, not only in travel, but on Broadway where they cancelled shows, restaurants which didn't need to be closed, etc.

The media (and moreso the idiots who listen(ed) to everything it reported) were the sole reason this got as out of hand as it did. Full day reports about a tropical storm? The media should be absolutely ashamed of itself. 

Yeti

So thats a hurricane.  huh.  Didn't even knock my power out. 
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

LBIggle

where they farged up was saying anything at all.  they should just let you bitches fend for yourselves.  mainly for my enjoyment.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Tropical Storm Katia is-a-brewin'.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: FastFreddie on August 30, 2011, 01:00:58 PM
Tropical Storm Katia is-a-brewin'.

Um... this one is trending closer to the US coast.

PoopyfaceMcGee

OBX residents not pleased at these models at all:

PhillyGirl

I think most longer range models see it shifting straight upwards and hitting Canada or going back out to sea, no?

New Orleans is in some trouble again...20" of rain to fall this weekend. Let's hope the repairs on the levies were completely done.  :(
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyGirl on September 02, 2011, 08:56:12 AM
I think most longer range models see it shifting straight upwards and hitting Canada or going back out to sea, no?

New Orleans is in some trouble again...20" of rain to fall this weekend. Let's hope the repairs on the levies were completely done.  :(

The models have been trending west.  For Irene, the trends started over Florida and trended east.

The paths won't really be known for several days.  Today it appears that most converge over New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.  There was a stray model having it stay west over Florida this morning, but that one was gone this afternoon.