The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorebird

Don't forget potatoes. Or as us shore rednecks like to say, maters, taters, lopes and kern.

shorebird

Really though, it's something about the climate, and the suffering humidity around here that makes for great tomatoes.

Rome

There's only one indisputably great tomato and it comes from New Jersey.  And I would gladly kill all of you for a bushel of them.

Seabiscuit36

we have an Aerogarden, had 3 tomato plants growing, ended up having to plant them outside since they got too big for the aerogarden.  They've been on swoll over the past month with all this rain, and now if it doesnt rain for two days, they wilt.  farging things are delicious though
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

shorebird

ya' have to water them sometimes. Doesn't make them grow but it'll keep them from wilting.

shorebird

Quote from: Rome on June 21, 2009, 11:01:25 AM
There's only one indisputably great tomato and it comes from New Jersey.  And I would gladly kill all of you for a bushel of them.

Never had one, so I can't say, but if they are any better than around here, I'd love to try them.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: shorebird on June 21, 2009, 11:06:38 AM
ya' have to water them sometimes. Doesn't make them grow but it'll keep them from wilting.
we do, but its crazy how much water they require, since they're from the aerogarden.  We also get this worm poop shtein, that works great
http://www.terracycle.net/tomato.htm
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

shorebird

How much is that stuff? I've always used miracle grow for tomatoes.

Seabiscuit36

4 bucks a bottle, they have it at Home Depot around here.  Where they have the other Tomato grow products. 

Diomedes

Quote from: shorebird on June 21, 2009, 11:07:48 AM

Never had one, so I can't say, but if they are any better than around here, I'd love to try them.

The chance that you've never had a NJ tomato is zero unless you don't buy tomatoes at all.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

NJ tomato's are the best, its the aids and pollution.

Our neighbor at the beachhouse has some great tomatos, he throws fish heads and other leftover fish parts on the soil as fertilizer.   Probably the juiciest tomatos i've ever had, and great flavor.   

shorebird

Quote from: Diomedes on June 21, 2009, 01:10:21 PM
Quote from: shorebird on June 21, 2009, 11:07:48 AM
There's only one indisputably great tomato and it comes from New Jersey.  And I would gladly kill all of you for a bushel of them.

The chance that you've never had a NJ tomato is zero unless you don't buy tomatoes at all.

The only whole tomatoes I've ever bought in the winter are those hydro's, grown in greenhouses. Maybe I have had those kind from Jersey, I don't really know.

Diomedes

So you don't buy them when they're in season? Maybe you haven't had them then.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

reese125