I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Most condominiums have their cable package included in the association fees, matty.

They get a better rate as a result.  How much better depends on the number of units in the project.  Chances are you'll get basic cable or a middle-tier package and then any upgrades are up to you to purchase separately.

phattymatty

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on July 16, 2007, 12:01:29 PM
Most condominiums have their cable package included in the association fees, matty.

Interesting.  I thought of this a while back and then somehow totally forgot to follow up on it.  Thanks for reminding me.

SD_Eagle5

Took a picture of my entertainment setup and felt like sharing, enjoy:

Geowhizzer

dis12

looking for opinion, guidance & recommendations on Slingbox.  I'm considering setting it up at my parents in So Jersey, to be able to watch CSN in No Jersey.   Is it as good as promoted?
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

Feva

Alright fellas... need some opinions.

Was just at Home Depot and saw this 42" Magnavox LCD.  Apparently it's part of their Labor Day sale and they had them listed for $999.  Then they offered no interest, no payments for 12 months by opening up a HD card.  Now there's usually no way I'd open up a store CC, but I know for fact that I could have that paid off by Jan when I can cut the card up and close it.  I looked the TV up online and it's going for $1,399 everywhere else... but I can't seem to find any reviews.  What do you guys think of this?  Any experience with any of these?
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: EagleFeva on September 01, 2007, 06:11:43 PM
Alright fellas... need some opinions.

Was just at Home Depot and saw this 42" Magnavox LCD.  Apparently it's part of their Labor Day sale and they had them listed for $999.  Then they offered no interest, no payments for 12 months by opening up a HD card.  Now there's usually no way I'd open up a store CC, but I know for fact that I could have that paid off by Jan when I can cut the card up and close it.  I looked the TV up online and it's going for $1,399 everywhere else... but I can't seem to find any reviews.  What do you guys think of this?  Any experience with any of these?

Magnavox is fine.  Nothing wrong with the brand.  Their TV's aren't considered the "best", but the "best" will cost you hundreds more.

The *problem* is that the TV only has 720p HD resolution.  For a main home theater TV, meh (depends on how picky you are)... for a bedroom TV, hit.

Either way, it's a good deal.  There are coupons out there for 10% off anything at Home Depot under $2000 if you look for them.  However, I would try to avoid the no interest racket.  If you don't have $1000 to throw around, you probably should avoid buying a new TV, dook.  (Plus, by the time you'll have $1000 in January, the 720p LCD's will all be under that and you can take your pick.)

dis12

Quote from: FastFreddie on September 02, 2007, 06:42:03 AM
Magnavox is fine.  Nothing wrong with the brand.  Their TV's aren't considered the "best", but the "best" will cost you hundreds more.
The *problem* is that the TV only has 720p HD resolution.  For a main home theater TV, meh (depends on how picky you are)... for a bedroom TV, hit.
Either way, it's a good deal.  There are coupons out there for 10% off anything at Home Depot under $2000 if you look for them.  However, I would try to avoid the no interest racket.  If you don't have $1000 to throw around, you probably should avoid buying a new TV, dook.  (Plus, by the time you'll have $1000 in January, the 720p LCD's will all be under that and you can take your pick.)
agreed, not a bad deal.  If you could swing the extra $ for 1080p resolution, go for it.  But you'll probably need to save the cash for the HD cable bill, not to mention a monster surround system.
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

PoopyfaceMcGee

I pulled the trigger on this last night for the bedroom.

Now, all I have to do is buy/lease an HD DVR box.  Barf.

Feva

Aiiight FF, school me here.

Here (under specifications) it says that the TV is 1080i compatible.  Would I need other types of upgrades to get that type of picture?  What the deal there?
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Wingspan

Quote from: EagleFeva on September 03, 2007, 08:43:26 AM

Aiiight FF, school me here.

Here (under specifications) it says that the TV is 1080i compatible.  Would I need other types of upgrades to get that type of picture?  What the deal there?

If you plan to sit further than 6 feet away from the television...the human eye can not tell the difference between 720p and 1080i...

What you quoted means that it can accept the signal of 1080i...and then it converts it to 720p.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhreak54

I was looking at TVs in Best Buy yesterday...they were having huge sales.

If I get this job in Houston, I'll need a new TV set for my place down there. So I'm going to get something badass. What are the best brands out there? Is LG any good?

SD_Eagle5

The best 'name' brands out there are Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung. Shop around and compare picture quality and do some research on consumer feedback. If you go to CC or BB check out the floor models they have available, they're usually 25% less than what you would pay for something in the box.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SD_Eagle on September 03, 2007, 10:40:59 PM
The best 'name' brands out there are Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung. Shop around and compare picture quality and do some research on consumer feedback. If you go to CC or BB check out the floor models they have available, they're usually 25% less than what you would pay for something in the box.
Mitsubishi is also very good.  I would recommend looking at Cnet.com for reviews to help you with your purchase.  One thing to remember when buying a tv is its one of the very few appliances that you use on a daily basis, so its like a bed, splurge a little extra to make sure its gonna last. 

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Cerevant

Not a huge problem - the visual difference between 720p and 1080i for a TV show is negligible, especially since half the broadcasts are 720p anyway.  Now, using a Computer or Console (360 or PS3), I'd agree there's a big difference.

The TV can be 1080i "capable" with a 720p resolution - it just down samples the picture.  Most less expensive LCD & DLP TVs do this to be compatible with 1080i broadcasts.

An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.