I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 31, 2006, 11:52:33 AM
not where i live....but you answered the question

The difference can't possibly be more than $2/month.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

not for IGY, those bastiches are going to charge him an extra $5 per box for the HD box...

but still, IGY, it's worth it.  HD sports rule.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

yeah i know i want it bad...but im shook to drop so much cake on a tv

ff...this is what im gonna get if i decide to go with it...if im reading correctly it says it can take digital cable and/or hdtv...overall opinions on the tv??

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7393297&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050028&id=1122655017960

PoopyfaceMcGee

TV looks solid.  I just can't understand why someone would buy plasma if he has ANY concerns about the money.  The DLP/LCD Projection TV's are less than half the price and about 95% of the picture quality at worst.

Just get the HDTV box from Comcast.  CableCard is cool, but you'd have to buy it, and OnDemand goes bye-bye.

Wingspan

gonna spend $5000 on a tv...but then bitch about an extra $5 a month from the cable company....yeah, makes sense.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

gonna spend $5000 on a tv...but then bitch about an extra $5 a month from the cable company....yeah, makes sense.

different things

$5000 = tax refund

$5 a month effects my monthly budgetary living expenses...may not sound like a lot but every dollar counts for me

I just can't understand why someone would buy plasma if he has ANY concerns about the money.

because plasmas are newer technology and susceptible to possible problems...or have then been documented problems with them

The DLP/LCD Projection TV's are less than half the price and about 95% of the picture quality at worst.

seemed to me looking at the various pics that the plasma tvs were far superior to the lcds...and the pioneer was especially on another level...can you recommend a great lcd/dlp model

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 31, 2006, 01:19:56 PM

different things

$5000 = tax refund

$5 a month effects my monthly budgetary living expenses...may not sound like a lot but every dollar counts for me

so spend $2000 on a tv, and then have enough for 600 months of the extra $5
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

if i can find a $2000 equivalent to the $5000 tv i will do just that

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 31, 2006, 01:36:23 PM
if i can find a $2000 equivalent to the $5000 tv i will do just that

My favorite was the Sony 3LCD systems, but I ended up with a JVC TV, because the stand was built-in, as I explained a few pages ago.  The technology is very similar to the Sony and is not subject to the "rainbow effect" that many people get from DLP.

Cheaper Sony - on sale now
teh SUPER HOTNESS Sony

Even with stand, you'll still save over $1000 on the nicer Sony... which is top-edge super awesome LCD technology.  The difference would pay for 200+ years of the HD cable box, not including interest you could earn.

I know it's tempting to spend the whole $5k, but if it's a large windfall for you, why?  I can see wanting to reward yourself with the tax refund, but a sweet new LCD projection-based TV would be an extremely nice reward too.  BTW, my new JVC is fargin' awesome.  If you do want to go DLP, the Toshibas are top-rated, and the Samsungs aren't far behind.

Don't you have any debt?  If not, cool... Throw the extra money from your IRS refund into a "rainy day" fund... possibly an ING Orange account or something of the like.  You'll thank yourself later.

ice grillin you

the jvc comes with that stand that is shown?

iyo the lcd pic is really 95% as good as the plasma?...why the sick price difference then?

and if that is true then you would have to admit that the sony lcd is .0005% better than the jvc lcd...no?

btw i have zero debt...another option i was considering is getting a cheaper tv but maybe starting to gather the components for a home theater system by getting speakers or something...anyway btwn me and my girl we have over 10 g's coming back to us courtesy of uncle sam...so its not as if im spending all my loot

ice grillin you

another ?

this cable card acts as a digital cable box?...just 'plug' it in the tv and you have digital cable??

how much is it??

this card however will not give you any hdtv capabilities right...for that you have to have the actual cable box

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 31, 2006, 02:35:52 PM
the jvc comes with that stand that is shown?

iyo the lcd pic is really 95% as good as the plasma?...why the sick price difference then?

and if that is true then you would have to admit that the sony lcd is .0005% better than the jvc lcd...no?

btw i have zero debt...another option i was considering is getting a cheaper tv but maybe starting to gather the components for a home theater system by getting speakers or something...anyway btwn me and my girl we have over 10 g's coming back to us courtesy of uncle sam...so its not as if im spending all my loot

the difference in price is just the cost it takes to produce. getting a flawless screen is easier to achieve on a LCD set than it is a plasma set.

i posted a while back, depending on the room size, and how far back you plan to sit from the tv, there is such a minute difference quality, that the big jump in price is unworthy.

then again, talking to a bunch of people on the internet is usually the best way to go! :yay

oh, if your getting that much back in taxes...and you arent newly married, or just had a kid...you're paying too much out of your pay to begin with.

if your room does not have drastic potential viewing angles, there's no reason to buy plasma. if you are outside of 7 or 8 feet from the television, again, no reason to buy plasma. as with either of those parameters set up, there is no difference between any of the technologies.
Connection Problems

ice grillin you

thanks...looks like you may have just saved me 2500 bucks...tho i doubt i woulda been able to pull the trigger on the plasma anyway

SunMo

he saved you $2,500?  you owe him a taste of that.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.