The 'Mass-Shooting In The US' thread

Started by Father Demon, February 14, 2008, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Don't know if that was mentioned here, but I know I saw that tidbit elsewhere. Should also be noted that he tried to purchase a rifle about a week before the shooting and was denied.

Not sure if this would be overreach or not, but it may not be a bad idea to have a red flag pop up somewhere when a person is denied a gun. Maybe it's just me but it seems like a good idea to look into why a person was denied the gun and why an unqualified person was trying to buy in the first place.

Seabiscuit36

Snopes says that he used the AR.  The false report was by NBC following the aftermath, when bad info was leaked.  Press didnt understand the difference between the gun in the trunk, and the AR involved.   http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.asp
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Sandy-Hook-Gunman-Had-4-Guns-State-Police-188031071.html

Though this is the first time i've heard that he had a Saiga

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

So, he didn't even have one. Right.

Great work by our government reacting to this incident with laws that make no sense instead of laws that actually might work.

SunMo

have fun at militia practice this weekend
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

rjs246

It's called the militia prayer circle jerk. Get it right.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

i would go to that...you know, for research
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Be dismissive all you like. The laws I would propose would be much more restrictive and reduce the number of guns in circulation infinitely better than the ones proposed.

You guys aren't really nice people. Maybe work on that.

rjs246

I like the laws that you've proposed and have said so repeatedly. That doesn't mean that the laws being proposed don't also have value.

Regardless, mocking is more or less all I do on the internets so, no, I won't be working on that. Praying to sweet baby jebus and gun-nuttery tend to go hand in hand and I think you'd have a hard time disagreeing with that.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

They don't. In fact the gentleman who taught me my concealed carry class, one Russell Smith, is an athiest.

While this link is attempting to solely blame Obama for the following numbers, the numbers are still correct:
The trend of our government and some really scary numbers

This is why legislation like this is more hurtful than helpful. Throwing away government funds on largely ineffective legislation instead of truly attacking the roots of the problem is exactly the standard cop-out that our elected officials regularly take. How much longer are we going to accept mediocrity?

rjs246

Considering the definition of mediocrity, probably indefinitely.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Tomahawk

I don't own gun(s) but could readily borrow or steal several from many friends. I'm not sure what's involved with the President's proposal/edict/whatever 'cause I really don't give a farg...mandate every citizen is given at least a handgun and a 6 pack when they turn 18 as far as I care. That being said, I don't understand how there can be any opposition to limiting clip sizes...seems like an easy way to reduce body counts when a person decides to shoot a shtein ton of people.

What's concerning is gun control (which is such a vague term, people can't be sure they're even talking about the same thing when arguing about it) does absolutely nothing to address the root cause: crazy motherfargers. Probably even before the icehole at Kent State, people have liked to prove their mental instability by shooting as many people they've never met as they can. I guaranmotherfargingtee there's an inverse relationship between state funded mental hospitals closing and increasing mass shooting occurrences.

This point was discussed immediately after Sandy Hook but seems to be largely ignored now.

Also, if you wanna get pissed off or worried about government tyranny, get pissed off about the Patriot Act. The revocation of due process is far more dangerous to the citizenry than an "infringement" of your antiquated second amendment rights.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Reducing clip sizes is not smart, as magazines are not complicated and can be relatively easily "home made." So, again it is an issue of telling would-be "good guys" returning fire to be under-manned while someone with bad intentions could easily arm up.

Also, like the other proposals, it's relatively arbitrary and just means school shooters will bring more loaded mags with them. It takes a skilled person about 1 second to drop out an empty and pop in a new one. But I'm sure the hero unarmed Principal would totally tackle the assailant in that time frame.

Tomahawk

How many less rounds does that mean are fired if it takes a second or two to drop and pop a new clip? Add the seconds up and maybe two, three, or more people are able to either escape or manage not to get shot. Seems like these mass shooters are getting these guns and accessories through convenience, and not modifying the clips to hold 100 rounds instead of 30.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Does it seem that way?

The point can be further extended. If guns are too hard to use, they'll just put a bomb in the school or set it on fire.

People are the problem, and while guns by design are meant for harm, they are largely a red herring in how to keep America safer.