Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [CTE]

Started by Diomedes, May 02, 2011, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Sure, other people get CTE.  People in actual battle, for example.

But the NFL has a problem here.  Knowledge is a real bitch.

Dave Duerson had CTE and he knew it.  He didn't just ask for his brain to be donated for study, when he killed himself he made sure not to destroy the evidence.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6465271
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

from the paper with an agenda:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/sports/football/05duerson.html?hp

Duerson would not likely have received any financial support from NFL disability plan--which he himself helped to administrate--had he filed.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Really can't let that one go, can you?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

He has a so-called problem with it. 

Me, personally, not so much.

Diomedes

Nope.  You have forever opened my eyes to their schemes.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Sgt PSN

Jim McMahon and 6 other former players are suing the NFL

QuoteThe plaintiffs include two-time Super Bowl champion Jim McMahon, who has said he played through five concussions but now frequently walks around "in a daze" and forgets why he entered a room.

QuoteSeventy-five retired players sued the NFL last month in Los Angeles, alleging the league knew since the 1920s of the harmful effects of concussions, but concealed them from players, coaches, trainers and the public until June 2010. That suit also names helmet-maker Riddell, the NFL's official helmet supplier, as a defendant.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Sgt PSN

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7384035/twenty-one-former-nfl-players-sue-league-concussions

I was just talking with a buddy the other day and Oronde Gadsden came up in the conversation because dude always made a few incredible catches every year and I was wondering what ever happened to that guy.  Now I know. 

SD

Transfer talk to this thread:

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 15, 2012, 09:09:07 AM
Quote from: SD on April 15, 2012, 05:47:46 AM
Bullshtein. You don't need the NFL to tell you getting hit in the head over and over again is bad for your head. That's called common sense.

not defending the suit but we know a whole hell of a lot more today about concussions and what the consequences may be than we did even five years ago...much less 15-20 years ago when it wasnt even a blip on the health radar

CTE is a new disease...i think because of this the nfl is probably off the hook as it was new to them as well...but no one could have ever imagined that playing a contact sport could have been as dangerous as we now no it is...it wasnt a case of just "common sense"....boxing excluded

EDIT: reeeeemix!...bring it back come rewind....just saw dios post above after i posted

Agree with all of this and I doubt the NFL was hiding concussions as some sort of conspiracy so players would go all out. I'm glad the condition is being brought to the forefront as I don't think anyone should have to live the rest of their lives with a brain injury from playing a sport [Pronger should retire]. At the same time the players know the risks of playing when they sign their contracts. I don't even understand the point of the lawsuit other than the long term effects are now medically proven and that a few players were affected by concussions and a bunch of other players decided to jump in on the class action lawsuit just because.

Eagaholic

At this point there are countless players who get concussions and choose to keep playing, so that doesn't help the players case. One question is that of all the guys filing the suit, how many of them would have stopped playing if they knew then what is known today? Probably not many, other than a few who would have retired a year or two earlier, and that would be very hard to prove causality from just that extra couple of years.

Sgt PSN

What is the NFL currently doing for retired players who are a little older now and really starting to suffer the consequences of repeated hits to the head in their playing days?  If the league is stepping up and giving them assistance with their medical bills, great.  If not (and I don't think they are and that's why we see the lawsuits), then the league needs to get involved and start taking care of the players who helped make the league as popular as it is. 

Just because the league claims they didn't know 20 or 30 years ago that concussions would/could lead to long term health concerns doesn't mean they aren't responsible for making sure that former players are taken care of.  Just be accountable, do the right thing and make sure these guys are getting the right help. 

ice grillin you

i agree with sarge....the players concern should be focused on post playing careers and the nfl's disgusting callousness in that area...versus trying to go after them for something 20-30 years ago that a. they probably arent even guilty of and b. even if they were is going to be impossible to prove
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagaholic

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 15, 2012, 12:34:25 PM
What is the NFL currently doing for retired players who are a little older now and really starting to suffer the consequences of repeated hits to the head in their playing days?  If the league is stepping up and giving them assistance with their medical bills, great.  If not (and I don't think they are and that's why we see the lawsuits), then the league needs to get involved and start taking care of the players who helped make the league as popular as it is. 

The league is doing quite a lot now though you could argue it is to protect their interests, and are wisely working with the players union to develop their programs and benefits (so therefore if things are jointly decided and developed it becomes harder for players to sue the league and the union won't).

One of the big changes they recently made is that now for former players to be eligible for coverage for CTE and related disorders they only need a diagnosis, whereas before they had to show that it was football related which is a pretty hard thing to prove. One of the reasons why the cap stayed so low is that they are re-allocating more funds to players benefits rather than salary.

Diomedes

Quote from: rjs246 on May 02, 2012, 10:58:47 PMAt some point the chorus against will out-shout the hard core fans.

There may in fact be some kind of tipping point in time, but I would argue that the game is already a lock to change because of what's already been learned about CTE and brain injuries generally.

I don't have to remind you idiots how often we see players sitting out multiple games on account of getting their bell rung, which is by defintino having an affect on the game.

But I'm talking more about societal changes than rule changes, and not about outries and protests so much as people just changing their minds and behavior.

With every confirmed case of CTE in football, tens of thousands of mothers across America will tell their sons "You can play baseball or soccer, but sorry honey, you're not going to play football."  That will change things.

Another thing that will happen is schools will be forced to drop the sport under pressure from parents, the medical professionals, and perhaps most importantly, accountants, who will impress upon them the difficulty of justifying ever increasing insurance costs associated with running a football team.

The game isn't going to go away, but it's gonna change.